Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is back in the shop for another complete rearend "From Rotor to Rotor" , another right side roof rattle, mis aligned tonnue cover and center caps that will not stay straight...

As much as I hate to say this the Prowler is looking better to me every day...

Why I ask..For the love of GOD why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
O Brother

Boosted-
I bought my 04 about 4 weeks before you and I haven't had the first problem. I know that's not helping, but if I had gone through what you have, I would begin the "lemon" process with GM right away. the Lemon law in Ga is good and GM should want to have a satisfied customer. Let us know how it goes.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Boosted,

I also feel sorry for all of the problems that you're having. Too bad too, because it leaves a bad taste even if they fix it this time.

Here wishing you (and them) good luck!

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Talk to some Prowler Owners

They are nice to look at but I've two friends buy and sell them. Great looks, but no power or storage. After the buzz from the looks wear off you have an underpowered hot rod. Face it, if you got an SSR w/o the problems, you'd keep finding things to love.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love the SSR.. If GM woulkd act right with this one I might stay..Maybe they can do me a deal on an05...hmmm..

G

·
big-daddy said:
Boosted-
I bought my 04 about 4 weeks before you and I haven't had the first problem. I know that's not helping, but if I had gone through what you have, I would begin the "lemon" process with GM right away. the Lemon law in Ga is good and GM should want to have a satisfied customer. Let us know how it goes.
I'm currently in an arbitration with Chevy myself over the problems I've been having with my SSR. I have the mis alligned tanneu cover too as well as a coupke other problems. It has been three hit and miss attempts already by the Chevy dealership technicians. They just say they have no idea how to fix it and they've given up. So I'll just have to see what happens atmy upcoming meeting/ arbitration

·
Registered
181 Posts
big-daddy, Prowler Is Underpowered?

Thanks to an aluminum frame, chassis, and suspension parts the Prowler weighed in at a trim 2,853 lbs. with 253hp. That equates to 11.22 lbs. per horsepower. I'm sorry to say my 2003 SSR weighs in at a bloated 4,760 lbs. with 300hp or 15.87 lbs. per horsepower. At a local quarter mile drag strip the Prowlers are turning 0 to 60 in the 6.8 second range, the 300 hp SSR's are at 7.4 seconds. Quarter mile times for the Prowlers are 14.7 seconds while the 300 hp SSR's are in the 15.4 second range. As a proud SSR owner I'm not trying to rain on them but your statement that the Prowlers are under powered isn't exactly accurate. I just wish our SSR's weighed the same as the Prowlers (2,853 lbs.), and with our 300 hp motors, our lb. per hp would be 9.51. Now that would make an interesting ride. It still amazes me that the SSR weighs as much as it does. Not exactly certain how GM managed to get it that heavy but they did!

G

·
Here are My Problems

Instrument Cluster being sent out for repair
Driveshaft being replaced
Hood prop and hindge broke
Fan blower
Windows leak
Folding top mat being replaced
Bed cover won't pop up
Replacing passenger airbag and cover

·
Registered
89 Posts
RedTn.SSR said:
Thanks to an aluminum frame, chassis, and suspension parts the Prowler weighed in at a trim 2,853 lbs. with 253hp. That equates to 11.22 lbs. per horsepower. I'm sorry to say my 2003 SSR weighs in at a bloated 4,760 lbs. with 300hp or 15.87 lbs. per horsepower. At a local quarter mile drag strip the Prowlers are turning 0 to 60 in the 6.8 second range, the 300 hp SSR's are at 7.4 seconds. Quarter mile times for the Prowlers are 14.7 seconds while the 300 hp SSR's are in the 15.4 second range. As a proud SSR owner I'm not trying to rain on them but your statement that the Prowlers are under powered isn't exactly accurate. I just wish our SSR's weighed the same as the Prowlers (2,853 lbs.), and with our 300 hp motors, our lb. per hp would be 9.51. Now that would make an interesting ride. It still amazes me that the SSR weighs as much as it does. Not exactly certain how GM managed to get it that heavy but they did!
This isn't real complicated, a real frame, all steel body, a drop top....
I'm underimpressed by a "hotrod" at 11.2#/HP, I have a daily driver @ 8#/HP with an acutal roof and street gearing that goes 0-60 in 4.5, it's a matter of completely different vehicles, remember that in the 60-70s the ins break for "muscle cars" was 10#/HP. The SSR is extremely cool for what it is, the Prowler is cool for what it is, different cars. Then there's actual muscle...

·
Registered
193 Posts
chuckbutcher said:
This isn't real complicated, a real frame, all steel body, a drop top....
I'm underimpressed by a "hotrod" at 11.2#/HP, I have a daily driver @ 8#/HP with an acutal roof and street gearing that goes 0-60 in 4.5, it's a matter of completely different vehicles, remember that in the 60-70s the ins break for "muscle cars" was 10#/HP. The SSR is extremely cool for what it is, the Prowler is cool for what it is, different cars. Then there's actual muscle...
:agree

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I feel your pain, believe me. I have had most of the major problems that can go wrong with the SSr but it is still worth it in my humble opinion. It went in a ton of times for top adjustments and I finally got the new hinges and voilla, top problem solved. The drive shaft tink in my opinion is just part of the owning the SSR, it does not seem to be causing any trouble mechanically and I have no problem with that. Had the windows replaced and fixed for scratches, had the blower fan replaced because it sounded like a bird was trapped in there and now it is perfect. Had the horn switch replaced because the horn worked intermittently. Hood prop replaced and a few other little things. All I can say to you is get the Helm manuals for the SSR on line, find a very good dealership with a great mechaninc like I did, and let them use your manuals. They tell you everything you need to know to fix the vehicle and will save your mechanic the trouble of leaving the work area to look up things on line which is how they access their mechanical info. to work on your vehicle. I am pleased to say that my SSR is now pretty much perfect and well worth the inconvenience. I drove a prowler and found it very uncomfortable, difficult to see out of, and zero storage space. :seeya

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I put nothing in my SSR so storage space to me is of no concern. I do have the fan motor noise on number 2. I forgot to tell them that, I have already had the driveshaft replaced so that was covered.

I love the truck and everything about it but it sure is no fun to own when it spends half it's life at the dealer getting repaired...

I undestand what you are saying about the manuals, but arn't these mechanics supposed to be trained?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The SSR is so new, it is pretty much OJT. Any help you can give them makes things much better for you in the end. The manuals have already paid for themselves for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Only thing that has bugged me so far is the damn hub caps not staying in line with the wheels. Mine are chrome so it looks even worse!! How do you stop them moving round !!??

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Mad-dog said:
Only thing that has bugged me so far is the damn hub caps not staying in line with the wheels. Mine are chrome so it looks even worse!! How do you stop them moving round !!??
The dealer has a service bulletin regarding the fix, should be under warranty.
Don

·
Registered
541 Posts
The fix...

Mad-dog said:
I found this at the GM TechLink web site.

SSR Center Caps Loose -- Update - An article in the December 2004 TechLink explained how to repair center caps that are loose and rotate, then do not align with the wheel spokes.

This involves adding pieces of polyurethane tape to two opposing legs of the center cap 180° apart

According to PIT3196A, the tape is now available by filling out the template at the bottom of the PI and faxing it to the WPC. The WPC will send out a service kit that consists of 8 pieces of polyurethane tape (2 pieces per wheel). The part number of this kit is TAC 306.

- Thanks to Dan Oden
Diggs

1 - 20 of 40 Posts