Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 VIN 5B116032
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Husband and I are going to Tazewell, VA the 14-17 of August to check out the Back of the Dragon. Has anyone been and are there must sees in the area.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
42,842 Posts
Husband and I are going to Tazewell, VA the 14-17 of August to check out the Back of the Dragon. Has anyone been and are there must sees in the area.
I checked out their web site and it looks like a fun drive. (y)

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,223 Posts
Is that different then the "Tail of the Dragon"? If so, I'd love to do both! That's on my bucket list!

Reactions: Railroad Guy

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,587 Posts
Is that different then the "Tail of the Dragon"? If so, I'd love to do both! That's on my bucket list!
Watch out for the parts and organ donors on the motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
I was on it once. We were returning from camping at Hungry Mother State Park in Marion VA. I had a Volvo station wagon towing a pop up camper. I literally burned up the brakes by the time I got off that mountain. I had to limp home to Norfolk with my front brakes grinding all the way. There are quite the turns in that sucker and no it's not one way.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
I was on it once. We were returning from camping at Hungry Mother State Park in Marion VA. I had a Volvo station wagon towing a pop up camper. I literally burned up the brakes by the time I got off that mountain. I had to limp home to Norfolk with my front brakes grinding all the way. There are quite the turns in that sucker and no it's not one way.
Are you talkin about Back of the Dragon in Virginia or Little Shepherd's trail in Kentucky?

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
:rolleyes:
I've done the tail of the dragon on my Harley a couple of times. Once I rounded a curve only to encounter a motorhome pulling a boat trailer coming at me and nearly taking up the whole road.:oops:

That was years ago, and I think now they have banned truck traffic from using that road anymore. There are some good and scary videos on line about the Dragon. I would suggest viewing a couple of them prior to going out there and trying it for the first time. Many riders have ended up "starched" before reaching the other end. :cautious:

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Reminds me of highway 340 on the north end of Maui Hawaii. Hoo-Boy! Twisty turny and very dangerous. If you rent a car there you have to sign an agreement you won't drive that road. Don't ask me how I know...

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Reminds me of highway 340 on the north end of Maui Hawaii. Hoo-Boy! Twisty turny and very dangerous. If you rent a car there you have to sign an agreement you won't drive that road. Don't ask me how I know...
Okay we won't ask you

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Did you try using the manual gear selection for 1st or 2nd gear to help slow the car. The manual 1 and 2 are designed to provide engine braking, thus when descending a steep grade in order for the car to go faster going down the grade, the engine is also forced to go faster which helps to slow car without using the brakes. Manual 1 and 2 on an automatic are the same gear ratio - the difference is deceleration. Try it! start out from a stop and then let off the accelerator and notice how the car coasts easily to a stop, then start off in 1st gear on selector and then notice how car slows to a stop when you release the accelerator.

Cars with a CVT (like the Prius) may have a "B" on the shfter for "engine braking" = however more accurately on a hybrid (Prius) it is actually just more aggressive regenerative braking - the electric MOTORs are programmed to be more aggressive generators (produce more electricity) to slow car down.

This will prevent burning up your brakes linings or worse yet - boiling the fluid if it is severely contaminated with moisture.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Did you try using the manual gear selection for 1st or 2nd gear to help slow the car. The manual 1 and 2 are designed to provide engine braking, thus when descending a steep grade in order for the car to go faster going down the grade, the engine is also forced to go faster which helps to slow car without using the brakes. Manual 1 and 2 on an automatic are the same gear ratio - the difference is deceleration. Try it! start out from a stop and then let off the accelerator and notice how the car coasts easily to a stop, then start off in 1st gear on selector and then notice how car slows to a stop when you release the accelerator.

Cars with a CVT (like the Prius) may have a "B" on the shfter for "engine braking" = however more accurately on a hybrid (Prius) it is actually just more aggressive regenerative braking - the electric MOTORs are programmed to be more aggressive generators (produce more electricity) to slow car down.

This will prevent burning up your brakes linings or worse yet - boiling the fluid if it is severely contaminated with moisture.
I loved my Prius V. Yes it would engine brake and recharge your battery.

However, I don't know I would pull a camper with it. I put a hitch on the back, but only for a bike rack.

dave

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
You learn something every day. I have lived in the area for over 20 years and been on portions of the road many times over the years. Never knew it was called Back of the Dragon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts