Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my R in Oct. 2018, I only had 1 key fob. So, before I lost it or broke it, I just got a back up fob at ACE Hardware fully programed for $79.99. You never know!

SJA Steve

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
47,393 Posts
I would not of thought of Ace hardware for a key fob ! :smile2:

Reactions: 06-SSR

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,565 Posts
Hmmmm. Pardon my blatant skepticism but this is an SSR key fob?? :nerd:

images.jpeg
((Beware of imposters!!))​

★☆★ - What does the icon on the fob for the rear cargo top look like?
Does it look like the trunk of a car??......at $79.99?!?!!!....:crying:

=================
David :black:
images-39.jpeg

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
When I bought Mine, like You, I had only the one key fob. I went on Ebay, bought two fobs ( not SSR ) that had the button for the trunk opening feature. Cost Me less than $20 for the both and then had a local locksmith program them for $35. I now have Three working fobs and they each control everything needed on the R.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Details: Ace Hardware has started offering Duracell keyless entry full function fobs. They had to go to their master list to determine compatibility with the SSR which is # GM030D. The price is $79.99 which includes programing. You must have your R in the parking lot & an ACE employee will go out to the R with you & program it. Both the employee & you will test for simple full function before you leave. As soon as I got home, I checked it again several times on 12/28/18. Since it was my back up, I than put it with my other back up keys. Today, being 1/16/19, I dug it out & went out to the R & it worked flawlessly, just as good as the OEM fob. As you look at the picture, the OEM is on the left & the Duracell on the right. Even though the OEM displays the R with bedcover & the Duracell displays a car with trunk lid, you need not be concerned, it's your back up, & it works just as good & that's what you want in a time of urgency. Thought: How much will you spend if you wait for the unexpected event?

" SJA " Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
My R came with one working remote. (It is #2). It also came with the #1 remote that did not work. I had it checked by my mechanic with a Snap-on tester and they declared it DOA. Will the Ace Remote simply clone my #2 remote, or can they program a #1 for me so that my wife can drive the R with her #1 seat settings? In other words, I would like to have two separate remotes, #1 and #2 like it came from the factory. I am assuming my mechanic can make this happen, but not so sure about ACE. Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
My R came with one working remote. (It is #2). It also came with the #1 remote that did not work. I had it checked by my mechanic with a Snap-on tester and they declared it DOA. Will the Ace Remote simply clone my #2 remote, or can they program a #1 for me so that my wife can drive the R with her #1 seat settings? In other words, I would like to have two separate remotes, #1 and #2 like it came from the factory. I am assuming my mechanic can make this happen, but not so sure about ACE. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Give it shot. Before you pitch the DOA #1 fob, see if the “inards” of the Ace fob will fit inside.

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
Haven't some people opened a dead fob to fine easily fixable corrosion or misalignment?

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,017 Posts

Thanks
The 1 and 2 Remotes are identical. The numbers on the back are for convenience only so you remember which is which.
The programing that is done by Dealer or ACE or Locksmith is just to link the remote FOB to the Vehicle.
You need to program personal settings for each FOB (Driver 1 & Driver 2) in the DIC. See attached from Owners Manual.
Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
This may be a dump question, but how does the SSR know which remote is 1 and which is 2 if they are totally identical. I realize you can set up driver 1 and driver 2 in the DIC but not sure how to "pair" each remote. forgive my age

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,286 Posts
Based on the order they are programmed to your truck. That is why all remotes that you will use need to be present/available when you program them to the truck. You can program up to 4 fobs, but only the first 2 will be associated with the memory functions if your R is so equipped.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,071 Posts
This may be a dump question, but how does the SSR know which remote is 1 and which is 2 if they are totally identical. I realize you can set up driver 1 and driver 2 in the DIC but not sure how to "pair" each remote. forgive my age
Yes what river rat said - but in addition they are not truly identical - they each send a different signal (frequency). the purpose of programming is to to allow the car's on board receiver to accept the frequency of the remotes you tell it are acceptable. Then as river rat said -- the first one you program (allow the car to accept) is going to be remote #1 and then the second one programmed will be remote #2. These will then correspond to driver 1 and 2 when you program the memory seat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts