Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a Backup Camera using an external monitor? If so, where did you mount the camera? Where did you mount the monitor?

I realize there are aftermarket head units that offer this, but I want to keep the OEM head unit and just add the camera and monitor.

I was thinking of mounting the camera above the license plate (not using a license plate bracket camera) and the monitor in the ashtray compartment if possible.

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aftermarket Head unit

ssr3 said:
BobA had one install in his red SSR.
Thanks, yes Bob and I spoke frequently about his upgrades, but Bob had an aftermarket head unit, not what I wish to do. Bob also had the bracket camera, not what I wish to do.

·
Registered
374 Posts
OP said:
Thanks, yes Bob and I spoke frequently about his upgrades, but Bob had an aftermarket head unit, not what I wish to do. Bob also had the bracket camera, not what I wish to do.
There are several. I recall the dealer that sells us parts as GMPARTSDIRECT.COM offers back up camera systems on their cars and trucks at their Chevy dealership.

Anywho, here's a couple links that may be of interest:

http://www.rearviewsystems.com/ys5600.html

http://www.autoanything.com/generic_pages/product_image.aspx?id=44284&p_id=2001

http://www.mobilevideo4less.com/cameras.html

Okay, here's the link to Flow Chevrolet's GM Accesories web page. Plug in the year and SSR, then click on the Electronics tab. You'll see several different back up cam systems (trailer hitch and license plate).

http://www.gmaccessories.net/flow

Remember Flow is also GM Parts Direct, so you may be able to order these from GMPD at a discount.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Back up camera

Need a little help and input regarding the installation of a back up camera system i purchased from PEP Boys.

It has a license plate camera and a monitor.

I have to run cable from camera, connect to a 12v supply and reverse light connction, Im thinking fuse box.

Looking under truck Im perplexed as how to get cables into drivers compartment without drilling any holes.:banghead

Once inside compartment I see no problems.

Any advice?

Thank you

Sandy

BlackSSR03

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BlackSSR03 said:
Need a little help and input regarding the installation of a back up camera system i purchased from PEP Boys.

It has a license plate camera and a monitor.

I have to run cable from camera, connect to a 12v supply and reverse light connction, Im thinking fuse box.

Looking under truck Im perplexed as how to get cables into drivers compartment without drilling any holes.:banghead

Once inside compartment I see no problems.

Any advice?

Thank you

Sandy

BlackSSR03
Can't help you with the routing but I believe that same system comes in a wireless version which eliminates the need to go through the cab with wiring from the camera.
I have been contemplating doing the same thing.
Where do you plan to mount the monitor?

·
Registered
260 Posts
monitor

Im thinking just to the right of the guages on angle near the cup holder.
It would make routing of cable easier.
Who makes the wireless system and what price range are we talking about?
I would assume you have to attach at least two wires for power and for reverse feature.

Thanks
Sandy

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,127 Posts

·
OP
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike in AZ said:
Owen,

Try snooping around this site a little. If you see something that you want, I have an account with them and can save you about 30% off the list price...... PM me if you find something you have to have......

Regards,

Mike
Thanks Mikey...I will keep this in mind if I ever get to this point. Like the brake light cam, too bad it's only for fords, I bet they could sell a few SSR ones if they develop them...:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Try This

I Installed A Back Up Camera Using The Voyager Vccyl35. I Replaced My Head Unit , But Still Recommend The Camera Using A Monitor. Drilled A 3/4" Hole In License Plate Just Below Frame , Between The F And R Above The O In California. I Couldn't Be Happier With The Result. Didn't Drill Any Holes For Cable Into Cab. On Passenger Side There Are Two Plastic Plugs Near The Door Hinge. This Is A Double Wall So Find Exiting Rubber Goumet That Wires Pass Through Behind Inside Side Panel. Make 1/4" Hole In Plastic Plug And Cut Slit To Put Cable Through. Fish Down To Rubber Goumet Which Already Has A Slit. You Are Now In The Cab. Now You Need To Route To Rear Of Truck. From Plastic Plug You Can Tuck Cable Behind Fender Down To Bottom Of Truck. I Used Tie Wraps And Stick On Holders To Underside Of Body To Rear Of Truck. The Camera Gave Me A Very Wide Veiw, Matter Of Fact It Even Covers Left & Right Blind Spots.

·
Registered
260 Posts
back up camera install

DONE DEAL
Thanks for all the help, Drilled only one hole for ground screw in undercarriage, otherwise a rather easy setup.
Unit works and seems like will make backing up a breeze with safety in mind.
Sandy:seeya

·
Registered
4 Posts
Backup camera mount has several ways, the two main mounts are license mount and flush mount;
Mobile Monitor mount also has several ways, that depends on the monitor use you want, if want as the entertainment, can mount on roof, sun visor, headrest, also DVD central deck; if want as the parking system, can mount as on dash board, mirror.
Hehehe..If others have good mounts, can suggest us.
After I have the rights to post free, I think I would like to post some photos how the carmera and monitor mounts on the car for your reference.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Has anyone installed a Backup Camera using an external monitor? If so, where did you mount the camera? Where did you mount the monitor?

I realize there are aftermarket head units that offer this, but I want to keep the OEM head unit and just add the camera and monitor.

I was thinking of mounting the camera above the license plate (not using a license plate bracket camera) and the monitor in the ashtray compartment if possible.
Over here you can get universal sun visors with built in screens (flush mounted) , nice clear picture and when the visor is up it looks standard

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
http://www.roadmasterusa.com/backupcamera_vr3.php

Above link makes the wireless system and should be available through pepboys.
Not sure where power comes from for camera, but it is wireless????????

In the market, the wireless camera means, the wireless of camera between monitor. The camera no need to connect to monitor with wire, with the FM transmitter.
Hehehe..the power for camera is also from the reversing line of the car.
:ssr

·
Registered
1 Posts
A rear view camera is very useful to have in your car. Most commonly, people will install a rearview backup camera so that they can best see what they're doing and where they're going when they put the car in reverse. Another type of rearview mirror camera can help to see what is behind you at all times.

Step1 - Read the Kit Instructions

Although the process for installing these cameras is generally straightforward, it's always a good idea to follow the instructions from the kit.
Disconnect the battery and wire the camera according to the instructions to the battery. This will provide power to the camera.

Step 2- Install the Monitor

If the camera has a monitor to view the scene behind your car, install that in or on the dashboard.

Step 3 - Install the Camera

Install the camera in place, either on the rear bumper of your vehicle or elsewhere, according to the instructions.

Step 4 - Test the Camera

Before you drive with the camera, reconnect the car battery and test the camera out. Make sure that the signal is feeding properly to the monitor inside of the car.
Here are just some tips for installing a rear view camera, hope it also can help you. :smash

·
Premium Member
9,920 Posts
A rear view camera is very useful to have in your car. Most commonly, people will install a rearview backup camera so that they can best see what they're doing and where they're going when they put the car in reverse. Another type of rearview mirror camera can help to see what is behind you at all times.

Step1 - Read the Kit Instructions

Although the process for installing these cameras is generally straightforward, it's always a good idea to follow the instructions from the kit.
Disconnect the battery and wire the camera according to the instructions to the battery. This will provide power to the camera.

Step 2- Install the Monitor

If the camera has a monitor to view the scene behind your car, install that in or on the dashboard.

Step 3 - Install the Camera

Install the camera in place, either on the rear bumper of your vehicle or elsewhere, according to the instructions.

Step 4 - Test the Camera

Before you drive with the camera, reconnect the car battery and test the camera out. Make sure that the signal is feeding properly to the monitor inside of the car.
Here are just some tips for installing a rear view camera, hope it also can help you. :smash
How do you like your rear camera and where is a good place to purchase one?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts