Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have not been here in a while. Sorry. I just got my black SSR back from the dealer today. Took it in to get the tonnau (?) cover repainted. I wish I had taken pictures of it before it was repainted. On the drivers side at the front seam real close to that corner, I had about a quarter sized paint spot peel off. And down about two thirds of the length of the cover on the drivers side from that spot on towards the back it was all foggy and dull as hell from the seam about 3 to 4 inches in towards the center. The service manager took one look at it and said he had only seen that a couple of times. They had my truck for three days. They repainted the entire cover and it looks good. I have had the truck for 18 months. I am glad that the dealership stepped up and took responsibility and took care of it. Has anyone else had any paint issues with their SSR?

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,833 Posts

I Like to hear the good responses, along with the bad. :thumbs for you. Did he say what the cause of the problem was? I had my 88 ck/1500 totally painted by G.M. as there was no ultra violet blockers in the clear coat (SILENT RECALL) and it all turned to chock dust.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
REBEL said:
I Like to hear the good responses, along with the bad. :thumbs for you. Did he say what the cause of the problem was? I had my 88 ck/1500 totally painted by G.M. as there was no ultra violet blockers in the clear coat (SILENT RECALL) and it all turned to chock dust.
I had my 89 Camaro completely repainted for same reasons. At first they were only going to paint 1/2 the car and I said that I would be beck in a couple of months for them to paint the other half, why not just paint the whole thing. They said that they would do a tape test (I guess put tape on the car and see if it would pull paint off). The next day they said they would be painting the whole thing. This was done right before the warranty expired, so it looked brand new after 4 years....even if I didn't wash it :) )

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,259 Posts
91 Silverado

My white 1991 Silverado had some peeling and GM repainted the whole thing just before the warranty expired. The paint job was so good that you could not tell it wasn't a factory job. No cost to me, except I was down one vehicle for about a week. While they were at it, they repaired a couple minor dents for free.

I bought my second silverado and Tahoe form the same bunch of guys and now my SSR. Was good business for the dealer and GM.

Mike

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
We had the same problem on a White Xtd Cab silverado, supposedly there was a really bad batch of paint for couple of years. Paint just peeled right off.

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,209 Posts
Paint Problems

The first problem you're speaking of would be PAINT DEGREDATION. Where as the clear coat separates (chalks and flakes) from the base coat due to lack of UV protective additive.

The second problem was due to the lack of an intercoat primer. Factories were trying to save money by skipping a very important paint adhesion step. Turns out it cost them money for this mistake. All the vehicle refinished were due to having an ELPO primer coat and then paint/cleared. The process should have been ELPO coat, primer sealer, paint, then clear, which is the current process they use. the only difference now is that the factorry is using tintable primers under each varied color applied (white primer under white paint, black primer under black paint, etc).

The problem with the tonneau cover on the SSR could be that somehow a bit of moisture invaded the paint area and caused the inherant hazing problem. I would hope this was only a one tme incident.

Hope this helps to understand the painting process and some of the variables that can cause it to go wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts