Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad news-my SSR broke down about a month ago, shift cable snapped. Called a tow truck was told about a 2-hour wait so I decided to walk around and see if I could find some lunch. While walking I saw an auto repair shop so I stopped in and asked if the knew anything about SSRs. Good News- turns out their lead mechanic was trained on SSRs & Vettes and knew exactly what my problem was and told me to cancel the tow truck. Got me back on the road for a very reasonable price. So I asked if he had ever replaced a roof pump motor and he said he had and could replace mine. Bad news- he checked everywhere and can't find the part.

Anyone have any leads on a roof pump motor for 2005 SSR?

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
I don't know if you posted about your roof issue but, from all the past post the roof pump is NOT a known problem. Others will chime in with some checks to find the real problem.

Nick

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,900 Posts
I agree, rarely the pump and only ones available are used.

I would start a NEW thread or discussion and title it "Roof Help" or something similar and list all the issues you have with some background and someone will surely chime in. This current thread may or may not get any replies due to the title.

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo, etc

·
Registered
457 Posts
I’ve never seen a roof pump/Motor that was bad. I guess you could burn one up if you operated it too many times in a short period. I think you may give other issues. List your problems here and see what you get in response.

·
BlueStreak
27,160 Posts
I’ve never seen a roof pump/Motor that was bad. I guess you could burn one up if you operated it too many times in a short period. I think you may give other issues. List your problems here and see what you get in response.
I agree, rarely the pump and only ones available are used.

I would start a NEW thread or discussion and title it "Roof Help" or something similar and list all the issues you have with some background and someone will surely chime in. This current thread may or may not get any replies due to the title.

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo, etc
I agree with Dragon2U
and start a NEW thread with symptoms and where you are located. The motors have been very dependable. but there are other things that will keep them from operating.

·
Spirited driver!
1,062 Posts
Good news: it's probably not the roof pump.
Bad news: it's something else.
Good news: Fanatics have the experience to help.you figure it out.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,848 Posts
I have NEVER seen bad pump, electric motor that drives the pump, seen three bad ones.

But that is only in the last 13yrs.

Read SSR HOW TO LIBRARY on ROOF

Let your SSR Trained Mechanic look at this, or download.

Dicktator

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've posted previously on this topic and almost everyone agreed it's the pump. Mechanic also believes it is the pump. Guess he could be wrong, but if not still need to source a pump.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have NEVER seen bad pump, electric motor that drives the pump, seen three bad ones.

But that is only in the last 13yrs.

Read SSR HOW TO LIBRARY on ROOF

Let your SSR Trained Mechanic look at this, or download.

Dicktator
@Diktator is there a specific tutorial you are suggesting I send to the mechanic?

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
It is still hard to believe that it's the pump. I would be curious why mechanic and others believe it's the pump when its so rare that a pump goes bad? One more time posting the symptoms may not hurt.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,848 Posts
The electric motor that drives pump has thermistor to protect motor, may be bad, unplug, put 12volts to motor, see if it runs, if it doesn't, it's the electric motor NOT the pump.

Put How to on Thumb Drive and give it to your mechanic.

Dicktator

1 - 12 of 12 Posts