Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This happened behind my apartment complex in San Diego yesterday morning at 2:30am. The guy managed to take out a traffic light and three transformers that were providing power to the complex. The traffic light didn't fall over, but one of the lights fell. Unfortunately it was too dark to get pictures of all of the aftermath (plus the cops were trying to keep the onlookers away from the dangerous stuff).

The guy was going fast enough to launch the engine across the road on impact, which crashed into the curb a little ways down.

One of the two guys hopped out and fled on foot and the other was scraped up from the pavement with a huge head injury (but alive...barely) and was whisked away in an ambulance.

Case-in-point: be careful in your SSRs!

--speedman







All pictures Copyright (C) 2005 Joshua M. Kriegshauser.
 

·
Growing Older but Not Up
Joined
·
1,350 Posts
Wow!

What a lick, at least the diveshaft "tink" is gone.
 

·
Las Vegas Mob
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Wouldn't you know, that SSR must have been running hot. When the engine left, it took the RADIATOR with it!

Blast
 

·
SSR Owners Group
Joined
·
3,753 Posts
Oh CRAP....

I hate to see this stuff - but as a photographer - I'm also kinda of drawn to it too... Too many years of listening to the scanner.

Hope this wasn't someone we know. :confused
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
I will feel better if it was stolen. Rather than someones kid showing off.

But this takes the cake as the worst one yet. Poor SSR :(
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brownhornet said:
I will feel better if it was stolen. Rather than someones kid showing off.

But this takes the cake as the worst one yet. Poor SSR :(
Unfortunately, what I heard from the witness is that it was being driven by the owner's kid or the kid's friend. Turned out to be a really sucky day for a few people, no doubt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
After looking at the pictures, it looks like the interior compartment held up pretty good with the impact, considering the speed the SSR was going. Makes me feel a little safer driving one, especially that one guy walked away on foot. I wonder if a yellow one would hold up as well. :flag
 

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
Joined
·
9,315 Posts
wonder if the air bag didn't deploy or if driver not wearing seat belt for his head to hit windshield like that...OUCH! regardless, hope he is OK, :ssr can be replaced, kids can't
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,003 Posts
Irresponsible Little Boys

This Is Every Parent's Nightmare. They Are In My Prayers. That Child Should Have To Look At Those Pictures Everyday. My Pregnant Daughter-in -law Was In A Car Wreck And Sustained Very Serious Head Injuries, Along With Many Other Things. She Recovered, And The Baby Is Fine, But She Doesn't Remember Any Thing About The Accident. A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
design of SSR

That looks very bad, but how did the engine get to the side of the road? I know Saturns were designed with shearing engine mount bolt to cause the engine to slide under the cab in a severe frontal collision. Does the SSR have this type of mounting system, or was the force of this accident that great to shove the engine out? Is this the first time anyone has seen the engine come out of an SSR?

Jason
 

·
TROUBLE MAKER
Joined
·
568 Posts
This is the second one .....

Action said:
That looks very bad, but how did the engine get to the side of the road? I know Saturns were designed with shearing engine mount bolt to cause the engine to slide under the cab in a severe frontal collision. Does the SSR have this type of mounting system, or was the force of this accident that great to shove the engine out? Is this the first time anyone has seen the engine come out of an SSR?

Jason
I saw an SSR engine and trans for sale on Ebay !
:leaving
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,175 Posts
Brownhornet said:
I will feel better if it was stolen. Rather than someones kid showing off.

But this takes the cake as the worst one yet. Poor SSR :(
Ditto :agree

RickSSR :cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
speedman said:
Unfortunately, what I heard from the witness is that it was being driven by the owner's kid or the kid's friend. Turned out to be a really sucky day for a few people, no doubt.
Glad my SSR is parked safely in my garage....and another reason my teenage boys will never drive it.....

SSRBH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
Hmmmmm....

It was an automatic, so I guess I'll still be waiting for someone to get me an SSR 6 speed knob for my GTO.

Diggs
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top