Chevy SSR Forum banner

Bad SSR wreck (low bandwidth warning)

6K views 40 replies 33 participants last post by  ricardo 
G
#1 · (Edited)
This happened behind my apartment complex in San Diego yesterday morning at 2:30am. The guy managed to take out a traffic light and three transformers that were providing power to the complex. The traffic light didn't fall over, but one of the lights fell. Unfortunately it was too dark to get pictures of all of the aftermath (plus the cops were trying to keep the onlookers away from the dangerous stuff).

The guy was going fast enough to launch the engine across the road on impact, which crashed into the curb a little ways down.

One of the two guys hopped out and fled on foot and the other was scraped up from the pavement with a huge head injury (but alive...barely) and was whisked away in an ambulance.

Case-in-point: be careful in your SSRs!

--speedman

All pictures Copyright (C) 2005 Joshua M. Kriegshauser.

See less See more
G
#7 ·
Brownhornet said:
I will feel better if it was stolen. Rather than someones kid showing off.

But this takes the cake as the worst one yet. Poor SSR :(
Unfortunately, what I heard from the witness is that it was being driven by the owner's kid or the kid's friend. Turned out to be a really sucky day for a few people, no doubt.

#9 ·
After looking at the pictures, it looks like the interior compartment held up pretty good with the impact, considering the speed the SSR was going. Makes me feel a little safer driving one, especially that one guy walked away on foot. I wonder if a yellow one would hold up as well. :flag

#12 ·
Irresponsible Little Boys

This Is Every Parent's Nightmare. They Are In My Prayers. That Child Should Have To Look At Those Pictures Everyday. My Pregnant Daughter-in -law Was In A Car Wreck And Sustained Very Serious Head Injuries, Along With Many Other Things. She Recovered, And The Baby Is Fine, But She Doesn't Remember Any Thing About The Accident. A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words.

#13 ·
design of SSR

That looks very bad, but how did the engine get to the side of the road? I know Saturns were designed with shearing engine mount bolt to cause the engine to slide under the cab in a severe frontal collision. Does the SSR have this type of mounting system, or was the force of this accident that great to shove the engine out? Is this the first time anyone has seen the engine come out of an SSR?

Jason

#14 ·
This is the second one .....

Action said:
That looks very bad, but how did the engine get to the side of the road? I know Saturns were designed with shearing engine mount bolt to cause the engine to slide under the cab in a severe frontal collision. Does the SSR have this type of mounting system, or was the force of this accident that great to shove the engine out? Is this the first time anyone has seen the engine come out of an SSR?

Jason
I saw an SSR engine and trans for sale on Ebay !
:leaving

#17 ·
speedman said:
Unfortunately, what I heard from the witness is that it was being driven by the owner's kid or the kid's friend. Turned out to be a really sucky day for a few people, no doubt.
Glad my SSR is parked safely in my garage....and another reason my teenage boys will never drive it.....

SSRBH

#25 ·
Argo-7 said:
Hell they took the traction control of the 2005 L2 6 speed GREAT IDEA!Now thats trouble with most non race care drivers :) :lol :thumbs But its on the vet GO FIGURE. Lose the rear end on the SSR and it is a little battle to bring her back when fish tailing in the L2. No way would I let my son drive a 2005 6 speed. I have a 2004 auto hope I can teach him not to let friends drive it . EXP/ Son to Friend; (hey better slow down, there is a turn up ahead. NO PROBLEM. CRASH! BEEN there with a 280 Z 1978. :lol
Actually the rear is not that squirrely with the 6 speed. I thought for sure I was going to spin it a couple of times autocrossing but with a little driving skill and a light foot on the gas/brake I managed to save it.. The weight distribution help too since the rear is not nearly as light as it would be in a regular truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.