Chevy SSR Forum banner

Bad Weather Handling?

2K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Donna & John 
#1 ·
OK, this is going to sound blasphemous to some, but here goes.....

How well does the SSR handle in poor weather (heavy rain, light snow/ice)? From how well it seems to hook on dry pavement, I suspect it has a fair amount of weight on the rear end. Does this bear out in poor weather conditions?

#8 ·
Sticks like Glue . . . . .

I drive my SSR in the searing heat of the desert, the driving rain in Feb '05 when I purchased her, back dirt roads, gravel roads, washboard roads, all around construction projects. She couldn't handle better. Like she was on rails.

25,000 miles and climbing . . . . . :seeya

Gary (WearyEagle)

#9 ·
Handling my SSR and losing my phone!!

True story - I am down one cell phone!!

Over here in UK its an offence to use a cell phone and drive - doesnt stop most folk though.

Driving home from work the other night here in Aberdeen. It is just starting to rain (again) and about 36 F - getting chilly and heading for winter.

I am on the phone to my partner letting her know I would be home in ten minutes or so - I turn into the round-a-bout and just as I exit the curve the back end goes!! Whoooaaaaa!!!

I mean we are in serious danger of pointing the other way!! Lightening reflexes and a bit of 'opposite lock' and we are back on the straight and narrow....

Unfortunately the cell phone went out the open window as I grabbed for the wheel. :confused

I think for serious winter use I am going to have to load a couple of bags of cement into the back end!!

#10 ·
Handling

English Gent,
I have to be careful when it comes to my SSR. The 6.0 engine in mine has alot of horses and even in the dry she can twitch her tail from time to time.
Driving in the wet, I just remember about the fat tires and the power, and slow down just a bit so she can hold the road. :nono :) :thumbs

#11 ·
Just a suggestion

mikepowell said:
Park City Ut, 3rd of January, in a snowstorm :thumbs
they wouldn't come down low enough, so I waited.... all the way to february :flag
Hey mike,
Maybe you might try to get the bra from Colgan Customs to put on the front of your SSR. Keeps the front from getting dinged and pitted from road crap. :) :thumbs :cool

#12 ·
Mine is a DAILY driver. I havent seen any snow yet, but in the rain with the traction control ON it is just fine. If you trun it OFF... well then it can be a very squirrelly ride. The backend will really come around if you dont watch yourself.

I love driving my car everyday and can't wait to drive around in the snow with the top DOWN!!!

#13 ·
English Gent said:
True story - I am down one cell phone!!

Over here in UK its an offence to use a cell phone and drive - doesnt stop most folk though.

Driving home from work the other night here in Aberdeen. It is just starting to rain (again) and about 36 F - getting chilly and heading for winter.

I am on the phone to my partner letting her know I would be home in ten minutes or so - I turn into the round-a-bout and just as I exit the curve the back end goes!! Whoooaaaaa!!!

I mean we are in serious danger of pointing the other way!! Lightening reflexes and a bit of 'opposite lock' and we are back on the straight and narrow....

Unfortunately the cell phone went out the open window as I grabbed for the wheel. :confused

I think for serious winter use I am going to have to load a couple of bags of cement into the back end!!
I had mine break loose too, although the windows were up and I didnt' lose my cell phone. It happened twice, first time was pulling out from stop sign TC was on, so I turned it off and at the stop light it did it again with TC Off. I wasn't pulling out fast!!! Got to be careful!

#14 ·
I would never drive in the snow....oh wait, yes I would. I thought the 5.3L handles fine. I was racing a skimobile the other day...oh wait, no I wasn't. :lol

#15 ·
too late

Van05360 said:
Hey mike,
Maybe you might try to get the bra from Colgan Customs to put on the front of your SSR. Keeps the front from getting dinged and pitted from road crap. :) :thumbs :cool
I'll just redo the paint, I'm not much for any kinda bra (onacar...) :leaving
it'll hafta be horrible weather to keep black beauty in the garage :flag

Attachments

#19 ·
Even taking it slowwww!

Van05360 said:
English Gent,
I have to be careful when it comes to my SSR. The 6.0 engine in mine has alot of horses and even in the dry she can twitch her tail from time to time.
Driving in the wet, I just remember about the fat tires and the power, and slow down just a bit so she can hold the road. :nono :) :thumbs

I was only doing 10mph and pulling round a traffic island - real careful and whoops there went the phone.

Now my blown nitrous firebird didnt have a problem with the corner (though she breaks out on the straight bits a bit too easy!).

It is just a case of getting used to the handling and limitations and driving accordingly.
Should be an exciting winter though!

#23 ·
Whitewolf said:
Did you ever try to drive a Vette or Camaro or Trans/Am on ice and snow....... :nono :lol :lol It will not...repeat , Will Not go where you want to go...... :nodno
Actually I have.... not by choice though. We got caught in a blizzard coming back from Vegas one October in our 2001 Coupe. The snow hit just outside of Rexburg, ID as we were climbing into the mountains towards West Yellowstone. The C5 worked very well (even with the factory GY tires on it). It went along just fine until the snow got deep enough to where the front air dam started acting like a snow plow.

We turned around and went back to Rexburg at that point and took a different route home (towrds Salmon, ID, then to Dillon, MT, across to Whitehall, MT, and on to Billings). The Vette still handled very well in the slush on the interstate heading into Dillon, MT.

In the SSR's case.... I guess it could be a little tricky since I don't have traction control (05 manuals don't have it). Maybe I'll have to do a little test drive around town when we get our next snow storm....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.