Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys are going to laugh, but I'm serious.

I think many of us have concluded that the ringing or whining some of us hear from our drivetrain, whose freqeuncy and volume varies with road speed, is a result of the driveshaft either generating the noise or amplifying noise generated elsewhere in the drivetrain.

I found a very interesting website prepared by a group of college students a couple of years ago:

http://www.mne.psu.edu/me415/fall03/visteon/

Check it out.

They addressed this very probelm on other vehicles (Ford trucks, I think). They tried a number of potential solutions, including:

- poly foam stuffed into the driveshaft

- expanding foam in the driveshaft (commonyl used by driveline shops)

- Bean bag polystyrene beads filling the driveshaft

- Stiffening rings

The last solution was the one that provided the best sound reduction for very little cost and weight. What they did was slip glorified steel "hose clamps" around the driveshaft, tightening them securely in place with a socket wrench. They tested both one-ring and two-ring configurations. The two ring configuration worked best. Each complete ring weighs only 0.4 lb (about 6 ounces).

My question is: WHERE could I get rings that look like the ones shown on the website, to try my own experiment? (see attached image)

Low WEIGHT is important, in order to not unbalance the driveshaft.

Jim G

Attachments

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Jim, did you try emailing the kids? Maybe they could hook you up! My hubby said he has seen them but can't remember where.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mean like for crates for shipping? Where do you get it?

Note that they said they tighten it using a socket wrench.

Jim G

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wildcat66: I tried emailing them, but the work was done two years ago. I thought the professor might still be there, so emailed him, but no response in over 2 weeks.

Jim G

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

how about zip ties / tie wrap ...
you know the plastic disposable ties

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm wondering if the "clamp" on a regular stainless steel "hose clamp" is lightweight enough to not disturb the dirveshaft balance?

Or, if it is enough to cause an imbalance, maybe use TWO hose clamps at each of two different locations, with the two at each location being applied with the clamps OPPOSITE each other (180 degrees apart) so they balance each other's weight?

If that might work, hose clamps are certainly cheap, and I am fairly sure they come in diameters large enough to go around our driveshafts.

Installation would be a cinch (pardon the pun), even without a hoist - just use ramps to get enough clearance to slide your body under there!

Jim G

·
Machell
20,829 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rebel: Neat idea, but I'm not sure you could get enough TENSION applied, since plastic stretches pretty easily, and you cannot use a wrench. I believe it is the tension that acts to upset the resonance that is causing the sound.

Think quitar or any other stringed instrument. By moving your fingers and clamping the strings at different points, you are changing the frequency of resonance and therefore also the sound.

The students had a clever idea.

Jim G

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wildcat66: Yes!! GREAT idea for getting the required tension on the band.

The one you showed in your attachment actually grabs the "wing" on a "wingnut", but there ARE sockets that have a screwdriver blade to engage slots.

That would be the ticket if the bands have only a slot (some hose clamps have hexhead bolts with screwdriver slots in them too - can use either socket or screwdriver to apply them. We'd use a socket to get more tenison).

Jim G

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

We use banding like on page 222 in that Mc Master Carr cat. Can get it very tight but hard to work with (you can get it in stainless steel)

·
Registered
254 Posts
JimG, I think what is shown there

is crate banding strap. The fastener is a crimp-on device which is not removable except to cut or "tear" the band. The ratchet was used to tighten the banding, some have their own tool and some require you to use your own. Problem is, without a crimper tool made just for that job it might be impossible to fasten it up tight. :seeya

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,113 Posts
Jim,

I believe that you could bond a spiral wrap of kevlar or carbon fiber material on the central part of the shaft to completely deaden the aluminum shaft. Leaving the ends of the shaft bare would allow the driveline shop an area to weld on any balance weights needed to keep the shaft balanced after the epoxy dries.

I have proposed this to a couple of my aerospace suppliers and also to 3G Services. I'll let you know what they have to offer.

Mike

1 - 20 of 71 Posts