Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change my old battery, I was wondering if I run a jumper from car to truck through the cigarette lighters if that would maintain all the systems.. Clock, radio, windows and computers and so on.. And could you do the same thing using a trickle charger ......

·
Tech Support/Research
1,901 Posts
You can use a "memory saver" which plugs into the OBDII port. Some, like the one below, use cigarette lighter adalpters that can be plugged into external jump boxes, other use clamps that can be directly attached to the terminals of a separate battery.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,291 Posts
Hooking up 12 volts to the system while changing the battery will back feed and keep the positive cable HOT. If you touch the positive to the chassis it could short out something. The radio settings and seat settings will stay, the window indexing is the only thing you have to redo.

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR, Customized
655 Posts
Although many have changed the battery with only window indexing to do.
I recommend attaching a 12v source to the system so you don’t chatter the 12v input while attaching the new battery.
I have used a Battery Tender clipped to the fuse box positive terminal and the engine ground.
( I later converted the Battery Tender connection from clips to a cigarette lighter. Now I just plug it in)

·
SSR Believer
2,806 Posts
Although many have changed the battery with only window indexing to do.
I recommend attaching a 12v source to the system so you don’t chatter the 12v input while attaching the new battery.
I have used a Battery Tender clipped to the fuse box positive terminal and the engine ground.
( I later converted the Battery Tender connection from clips to a cigarette lighter. Now I just plug it in)
That's great to know Ed, thank you! 👍

I already use a cigarette lighter adapter to plug our battery tender into the outlet in the bed. To confirm, can I just leave it connected while I swap in the new battery?

TIA!

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,274 Posts
That's great to know Ed, thank you! 👍

I already use a cigarette lighter adapter to plug our battery tender into the outlet in the bed. To confirm, can I just leave it connected while I swap in the new battery?

TIA!
Yes. The thing to remember the red/positive terminal is still hot when it is disconnected from the battery and like crossing the streams, shorting the system “would be bad”.

·
SSR Believer
2,806 Posts
Yes. The thing to remember the red/positive terminal is still hot when it is disconnected from the battery and like crossing the streams, shorting the system “would be bad”.
I have to disagree… it would be VERY bad. 😆

Might just roll the windows down and swap out the battery without any backup since it hasn’t been an issue for most folks. Better safe than sorry.;)

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,633 Posts
I have to disagree… it would be VERY bad. 😆

Might just roll the windows down and swap out the battery without any backup since it hasn’t been an issue for most folks. Better safe than sorry.;)
Or--get the cheap 9volt thing in post #4, what I have, or the Memory Saver that goes into the OBD II plug, post #3. Then you can take your time. Clean up the box, the cable ends, paint what ever, get a drink, water of corse, pee, and not worry about anything. :cool:

Nick

·
SSR Believer
2,806 Posts
Or--get the cheap 9volt thing in post #4, what I have, or the Memory Saver that goes into the OBD II plug, post #3. Then you can take your time. Clean up the box, the cable ends, paint what ever, get a drink, water of corse, pee, and not worry about anything. :cool:

Nick
Based on a recommendation in another thread I actually bought this one a while back. Seems like if you remember to roll down the windows and swap out the battery fairly quickly things should be fine though. Hmmm... :unsure:

Circuit component Automotive lighting Material property Electronic component Font
Font Electronic device Electronics accessory Wood Peripheral

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,633 Posts
Based on a recommendation in another thread I actually bought this one a while back. Seems like if you remember to roll down the windows and swap out the battery fairly quickly things should be fine though. Hmmm... :unsure:

View attachment 604438 View attachment 604439
That is similar to mine but sometimes i can't find a GOOD 9volt battery, (borrow one from a smoke detector) :rolleyes:. I'm going to look at the Memory saver that plugs into the OBDII port, if it does not need a battery. 3 key words you used above---"fairly quickly" and "should" :eek::cool::p

Nick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts