Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Yellow SSR
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased 2006 and all smiles, parked overnight and dead, charged and started fine am and pm. Next morning dead, recharged again and checked all lights switches, pulled key out. Noticed, clock was luminated and also ac and heater controls? Do not have voltage or hon checker. Thinking a short, heading to dealer this morning, bummed out need to fix. Anyone have this problem too, perhaps ignition switch?

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Just purchased 2006 and all smiles, parked overnight and dead, charged and started fine am and pm. Next morning dead, recharged again and checked all lights switches, pulled key out. Noticed, clock was luminated and also ac and heater controls? Do not have voltage or hon checker. Thinking a short, heading to dealer this morning, bummed out need to fix. Anyone have this problem too, perhaps ignition switch?
Do you know the history of the battery, age, previous owner have problems if you know the previous owner. I would start with the battery first.

·
Premium Member
2006 Yellow SSR
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is 3 years old, old owner was not a help, I believe he had a problem because he must have said battery is 3 years old about 8 times while I pondered over sale. Do not believe battery would discharge overnight bye itself.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,064 Posts
This sounds like the ignition switch was installed “one tooth” off of where it is supposed to be. There are two things that have to agree...... the mechanical tumbler has to be in the off position at the same point that the electrical switch module is in the off position. If it is one tooth off from where it is supposed to be, the tumbler will be in the off position, allowing you to remove the key........ while the electrical module is still in the accessory position...... the result is battery drain.

Hope the dealer is competent enough to NOT charge you hours of labor for troubleshooting......

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Battery is 3 years old, old owner was not a help, I believe he had a problem because he must have said battery is 3 years old about 8 times while I pondered over sale. Do not believe battery would discharge overnight bye itself.
Battery could have a short in it. Definitely will loose it's charge by itself.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,064 Posts
There is a simple “parasitic drain” test that the dealer can do. There is a specification for the nominal battery load when the vehicle is “at rest”...... They have it.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Battery should be at least 80 percent fully charged. We can't get a accurate reading on a battery that is discharge.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,265 Posts
If it were me I would just take it in for a free battery test at Autozone, Advance, Orielly, etc. If it tests bad then replace it. If it tests good, then start looking for alternative issues. If you have lights on when the key is off then you probably have the issue Mike mentioned, the switch.

Depending on how the battery was treated, the initial quality, etc, it could be just a bad battery. I have seen this problem on my R with new batteries that were less than a year old and after 3-4 years old. These truck have a constant drain on them that is much more severe than other vehicles and it tends to wear out batteries more often.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,376 Posts
Noticed, clock was luminated and also ac and heater controls? perhaps ignition switch?
This sounds like the ignition switch was installed “one tooth” off of where it is supposed to be. There are two things that have to agree...... the mechanical tumbler has to be in the off position at the same point that the electrical switch module is in the off position. If it is one tooth off from where it is supposed to be, the tumbler will be in the off position, allowing you to remove the key........ while the electrical module is still in the accessory position...... the result is battery drain.

Mike
Dave, There you go!! Your hunch was correct!!

Nick

Edit--Welcome from Forney Texas!!! You will discover that you have found the BEST FORUM ever! -----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then when you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

--Also if you haven't yet, go to "FOURMS", "SSRFanatics News & Polls", "New Member section" and introduce Yourself!

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,653 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Agree with others, could be a battery itself.
If battery tests good you could find out which circuit(s) are creating the drain easily with a voltmeter on both fuse boxes.
See post #6 on this thread where I explained this procedure and it was used successfully to find the source.
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/driver-information-center-funky-243705/

If you determine circuit(s) we can look at diagram to help determine cause or next tests before buying any parts that may or may not solve problems.

·
Premium Member
2006 Yellow SSR
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Battery could have a short in it. Definitely will loose it's charge by itself.
Well dealer has informed me that the battery is the problem, guess because of not being fully charged the SSR needs enough to run all correctly, it would drain enough overnight to not send power. I’ll see tomorrow if all is good. I am really glad for I do not have the tools or brains to try this myself, for 285$ an oil change with the best and a battery installed, not bad for the dealer service and checkout. Plus I seen that the SSR had an alternator and ingnition switch done previously by owner a while back, thanks for your help. Dave

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,387 Posts
Well dealer has informed me that the battery is the problem, guess because of not being fully charged the SSR needs enough to run all correctly, it would drain enough overnight to not send power. I’ll see tomorrow if all is good. I am really glad for I do not have the tools or brains to try this myself, for 285$ an oil change with the best and a battery installed, not bad for the dealer service and checkout. Plus I seen that the SSR had an alternator and ingnition switch done previously by owner a while back, thanks for your help. Dave
Did they give you a reason the battery is losing voltage? They need to fix the drain issue (ignition switch position?), not just replace the battery and wait for it to die again.

·
Premium Member
2006 Yellow SSR
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealer said a three old battery on tender is not like driving all the time, sometimes they just do not last as warrentee states. Told him about switch and test shows no draw on system.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Did they give you a reason the battery is losing voltage? They need to fix the drain issue (ignition switch position?), not just replace the battery and wait for it to die again.
If a battery has a internal short(inside the battery) it will loose voltage. I've seen them loose voltage in a matter of hours. Just curious, what brand did they install.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Yes, a battery can be shorted or sulfated that will cause it to not hold a charge.
My question would be if they charged to check for an excessive parasitic draw. What where the results of that test? What procedure did they use?
Numbers, not pass/fail. If they said they checked for excessive draw and charged above a standard battery/alternator output test they need to stand behind their $ charged and diagnosis.
Hopefully all is good.

·
Premium Member
2006 Yellow SSR
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Getting nervous, battery was replaced dealer said no draw, two days later, dead. Charged and returned to dealer, at dealer found out that alternator and ignition switch was replaced 7 years ago, plus 15,000 miles ago. Wonder as others have said, door latch or ignition, but seems a draw would show up. Really hope I didn’t purchase a lemon, after all it is a yellow SSR. Bummed.
May need Ed Borland��

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,376 Posts
Dave, Post #9--"your Profile". Where Is your location? Don't be afraid, we don't bite. A member close by might be more help than a Dealer?

Nick

·
Premium Member
2006 Yellow SSR
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Waited and in two days died again, even though nothing is drawing it must be either ingnition switch or for locking mechanism. At dealer we will talk Monday.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts