Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,838 Posts
I would advise against it. That Red wire is direct to the Battery, and any accidental touching of metal, could cause a BAD situation. Also, consider completing your Profile,---look here, and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Nick

·
Premium Member
2006 Silver automatic-vin #122786
403 Posts
Bad idea--stick with the battery tender--Alot safer---If you use the search area up on top, you will find several different ways they have been hooked up. Plus this will make the battery last longer. The tenders turn on and off automatically--super safe. Always rol the windows down just a couple inches!!
Steve

·
Lost In The 50's
1,381 Posts
I used to keep mine plugged in 24/7. Now I go in the garage on Saturday Morning and plug it in. It shows it is charging. I check later that day and it shows fully charged. I unplug it and plug it in once a week on Saturdays.

I had a battery explode with a tender that was used on my lawnmower (battery pieces and acid all over the place). No more........Plug them in once a week.

Here is a link to a battery that exploded.

Battery Exploded in garaged 05 | Chevy SSR Forum (ssrfanatic.com)

Just my 2 cents...........Sweet34

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
I used to keep mine plugged in 24/7. Now I go in the garage on Saturday Morning and plug it in. It shows it is charging. I check later that day and it shows fully charged. I unplug it and plug it in once a week on Saturdays.

I had a battery explode with a tender that was used on my lawnmower (battery pieces and acid all over the place). No more........Plug them in once a week.

Here is a link to a battery that exploded.

Battery Exploded in garaged 05 | Chevy SSR Forum (ssrfanatic.com)

Just my 2 cents...........Sweet34
:unsure:
"
I used to keep mine plugged in 24/7. Now I go in the garage on Saturday Morning and plug it in. It shows it is charging. I check later that day and it shows fully charged. I unplug it and plug it in once a week on Saturdays."

you seem to be getting far faster charging times that I've ever experienced with a Battery Tender on my SSR. Haven't checked the timing lately since I recently installed a new Optima battery, but going a week without being charged and then plugging it in and having it get to FULLY CHARGED.......later in the day!!!!
Never happened for me. If I failed to hook up my B.T. for several days and then did so, I could count on it staying "amber" for a day and a half or two before the light would transfer to "green".
Now if you're using a regular type battery charger, I could understand getting it fully recovered during the same day. But using a Battery Tender. NO..................not gonna happen for me.
I'm a firm believer in those Battery Tender devices. Have used them for many years on my Harleys, my John Deere rider, and the SSR. My boat has it's own built in charger and over time, I can attest it does (deplete) the water level in the battery cells and I top them off with distilled water about once a year.
I have a unique "quick detach" hookup for the SSR. It's installed down under the front end, I can hook it up in less than 5 seconds and when I'm headed out with the SSR, I get in and crank it up and back on out. The charger cord unhooks itself.;);)

·
Slingshot Rules!
89,831 Posts
I have used the battery tender for over 2 decades--never a problem--cars, trucks, motorcycles--
Steve

AGREE, Steve . . .

The DelTran Battery Tender Plus has been part of The Doophus's routine since shortly after coming home. Whenever we pull into the garage, I immediately plug it into one of the AUX Dash Plugs, flip the switch and THAT'S IT.

After about 15 years nothing but positive plus The Doophus's Batteries have lasted about twice as long so that makes the Battery Tender Plus more of a good investment vs an expense.

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !

·
Lost In The 50's
1,381 Posts
:unsure:
"
I used to keep mine plugged in 24/7. Now I go in the garage on Saturday Morning and plug it in. It shows it is charging. I check later that day and it shows fully charged. I unplug it and plug it in once a week on Saturdays."

you seem to be getting far faster charging times that I've ever experienced with a Battery Tender on my SSR. Haven't checked the timing lately since I recently installed a new Optima battery, but going a week without being charged and then plugging it in and having it get to FULLY CHARGED.......later in the day!!!!
Never happened for me. If I failed to hook up my B.T. for several days and then did so, I could count on it staying "amber" for a day and a half or two before the light would transfer to "green".
Now if you're using a regular type battery charger, I could understand getting it fully recovered during the same day. But using a Battery Tender. NO..................not gonna happen for me.
I'm a firm believer in those Battery Tender devices. Have used them for many years on my Harleys, my John Deere rider, and the SSR. My boat has it's own built in charger and over time, I can attest it does (deplete) the water level in the battery cells and I top them off with distilled water about once a year.
I have a unique "quick detach" hookup for the SSR. It's installed down under the front end, I can hook it up in less than 5 seconds and when I'm headed out with the SSR, I get in and crank it up and back on out. The charger cord unhooks itself.;);)
I plug it in early (7:00 a.m. or earlier). Go out around 9:00 p.m. and it is fully charged (14 hours or more). It is a Tender and not a Charger. I do know the difference.

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
I plug it in early (7:00 a.m. or earlier). Go out around 9:00 p.m. and it is fully charged (14 hours or more). It is a Tender and not a Charger. I do know the difference.
(y)
OK, for sure your batteries recovery time back to a full charge occurs faster than mine ever did. Now as I said, I have not paid attention to how long it (now) might take to get back to a full charge since the recent installation of a new battery.
Maybe I will find the new battery recovers quicker than the old one did.
Can't say till I try it.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
1,309 Posts
(y)
OK, for sure your batteries recovery time back to a full charge occurs faster than mine ever did. Now as I said, I have not paid attention to how long it (now) might take to get back to a full charge since the recent installation of a new battery.
Maybe I will find the new battery recovers quicker than the old one did.
Can't say till I try it.
I noticed when I was looking at tenders at Home Depot, different manufacturers provide them with slightly differing amperage outputs. My little mini-charger has actually a 1.5A output and will, like @sweet34 s, complete the battery charge in about half a day, but the battery will already have a pretty full charge. I then disconnect even though it automatically shuts off. I am not that trusting in things electric/electronic. If I look up tenders, I see that they are generally rated at a minimum of about .75A up to a max approximating 5.0A.
I suspect the high output ones start at max and trend down as the battery reaches full charge, but charge times would vary greatly between these depending on maximum output. $.02 please.

·
Lost In The 50's
1,381 Posts
You are absolutely right. My battery is barely down, and my tender charges to full charge in less than 1/2 day.

·
Registered
2005, ssr, blur, auto, 56k miles,
48 Posts
Bad idea--stick with the battery tender--Alot safer---If you use the search area up on top, you will find several different ways they have been hooked up. Plus this will make the battery last longer. The tenders turn on and off automatically--super safe. Always rol the windows down just a couple inches!!
Steve
curious, why should the windows be rolled down a couple inches?

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,771 Posts
curious, why should the windows be rolled down a couple inches?
The windows index down and up when you open and shut the doors. With the battery disconnected and the windows up, the doors will be effectively stuck closed by the windows indexed upward into the window seals. You can yank the door open, but not good.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,771 Posts
Ok but only if the bat is going to be disconnected correct?
Basically correct. The major systems of the R will shut off after about 10m after the key is turned off, but like anything with a remote to unlock, or turn on, there is always a small power draw for the system that is listening for the remote.

If you’re going to let your R sit long enough to where the battery could go totally flat then it would be a good idea to crack the window just below the seal. With a “good battery” not on a tender, that would be a roughly couple weeks or so…. Everyone’s experiences will vary, based upon the condition of the battery and when it last fully charged, etc.

When my rides sit for more than a few days, I hook up a tender as I’ve set them up all up with magnetic couplers. When they are on the tenders, the windows are always rolled up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts