Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Slingshot Yellow #929
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RGang got a call today of a local R owner stating "I went out to start my truck this morning and when I attempted to start it I heard a loud noise" Turns out the battery exploded. Here's is what I was able to collect for information up to the incident.
1. Truck is garaged and covered with cover.
2. Truck has a battery tender attached when parked in garage.
3. Battery tender was disconnected before truck was being started.

Do not know how old battery was. See pictures, date code on battery was part of the damage.
Inspection of battery box and cables looks good. Explosion took out the battery box cover (see picture) Looking for new battery box cover.

Looking for any ideas of what may of caused this to happen or if you have seen this before. I'm not that great on the electrical side of things.

1st Picture Battery Box Cover
2nd Picture Top of Battery Blown off
3rd Picture Battery out of Battery Box.
Road surface Triangle Asphalt Tints and shades Rectangle

Rectangle Font Gas Electric blue Auto part
Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Font

Attachments

·
Lost In The 50's
1,361 Posts
Wow….That's scary. Hope somebody figures out what caused it.

Reactions: soren703

·
Premium Member
9,448 Posts
Battery looks like it was dry, hardly any acid / electrolyte in it. Which means it was overcharged at several times and it came out in vapor. Spark is what causes a battery to explode. The grid must have been dry when the key was turned that's what caused the spark and then they explode. Like Tom said maybe the battery tender was defective. I would definitely get another one and also have the charging system checked on the R to make sure it's not overcharging.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Battery looks like it was dry, hardly any acid / electrolyte in it. Which means it was overcharged at several times and it came out in vapor. Spark is what causes a battery to explode. The grid must have been dry when the key was turned that's what caused the spark and then they explode. Like Tom said maybe the battery tender was defective. I would definitely get another one and also have the charging system checked on the R to make sure it's not overcharging.
I agree with SWT RYD, when I used to use a battery tender on my boat that was in a hot garage in the desert, I had to keep an eye on the water level in the battery because it did seem to go down a lot quicker than normal.
Went to an Optima AGM battery to solve that issue.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Also if the tender never quit? IDK, because I am not that familiar with their capabilities.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
This is one time we should be happy that the battery is where it is and not under the hood. No telling how much this explosion would have damaged the hood or other things under the hood. With the battery where it is, it sure is tough to check it for fluid and such, however.
…Stano🤠

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
4,393 Posts
This is one time we should be happy that the battery is where it is and not under the hood. No telling how much this explosion would have damaged the hood or other things under the hood. With the battery where it is, it sure is tough to check it for fluid and such, however.
…Stano🤠
Or as previously stated, spend the extra $$ to get an AGM battery. It does not have to be an Optima to be an AGM. No worries about electrolyte levels.
I haven't yet upgraded. The last 2 batteries still had some warranty remaining. Now that many have stopped the longer prorated warranty time. My next one will be AGM.

·
Premium Member
2003 Slingshot Yellow #929
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow. How much had you been charging the battery? Any that I had known of in the past were probably caused by "boiling" the battery.
Truck is not mine. I think the battery tender failed and was the cause for over charging the battery, causing it to off gas Hydrogen and when the owner went to start it there was enough hydrogen gas in the battery box to cause it to blow.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts