Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched under both battery and battery recommendations and saw no recent posting. I am mulling over a new battery since with
winter coming on as there will probably be long stretches with no usage. I was wondering if any one has had recent experience with
an Optima 78. Are they worth the $230 price at Walmart? They seem to be $242 elsewhere. Walmart's proprietary EverStart batt
for the same app is $94 and they are made by Johnson Controls it seems who are one of the biggies in battery manufacturing.
Bill

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Searched under both battery and battery recommendations and saw no recent posting. I am mulling over a new battery since with
winter coming on as there will probably be long stretches with no usage. I was wondering if any one has had recent experience with
an Optima 78. Are they worth the $230 price at Walmart? They seem to be $242 elsewhere. Walmart's proprietary EverStart batt
for the same app is $94 and they are made by Johnson Controls it seems who are one of the biggies in battery manufacturing.
Bill

What ever battery you buy, also purchase a battery tender for it.

·
BlueStreak
26,749 Posts
Bill
I thought I would take this opportunity to try the "new" Multi-quote button.
I would say buy what you are comfortable with but also buy a Battery Tender, and use it.

What ever battery you buy, also purchase a battery tender for it.
I agree with this. No matter what battery you buy or how long you plan to leave it parked over a few days you should have a battery tender. Others may disagree but this vehicle has others will agree there are thing that seem to draw power when the vehicle is shut down and in some cases they are a problem and in others they are not so much.

·
Slingshot Rules!
62,127 Posts
Another plug for the Battery Tender Plus . . .

The Doophus's original battery only lasted about 2.5 years and was covered by GM's Warranty. The replacement battery along with REGULAR, not occasional, use of the Battery Tender Plus lasted 7 plus years.

We are now on our 3rd GM Battery and after more than 4 years (KNOCK ON WOOD) everything is A-OK.

The 50 Bucks for the Battery Tender Plus turns out to be a mega-bargain compared to the price of a replacement battery, not to mention the aggravation of a dead battery.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I don't remember if they changed where or how they are building the Optima batteries but they are not what they used to be, and people are not getting the longevity out of them like they used to.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Change Battery?

CHANGE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE at same time.

I change Battery and Negative Cable every 4/5 yrs need to or not. No, I don't buy Optima battery.

GROUND completes the circuit!

New Negative Cable at NAPA, GM stopped making them.

How to Library: Look up BATTERY CABLE FIX

Dicktator

1. Bad Ground at Body.
2. Bad Ground at Battery
3. Bad Ground burnt out RDM and Ignition switch. Very expensive lesson.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Change Battery?

CHANGE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE at same time.

I change Battery and Negative Cable every 4/5 yrs need to or not. No, I don't buy Optima battery.

GROUND completes the circuit!

New Negative Cable at NAPA, GM stopped making them.

How to Library: Look up BATTERY CABLE FIX

Dicktator

1. Bad Ground at Body.
2. Bad Ground at Battery
3. Bad Ground burnt out RDM and Ignition switch. Very expensive lesson.
Thanks fanatics,
I can always depend on some thoughtful replies from people who have had experience with the SSR. What would we do
without Dicktator?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've had the Optima Yellow and Red. I seem to remember that the battery manufacturing was sold to someone else. Therefore, the quality is not what it used to be. Replaced my Red too quickly.
So, I installed an Odyssey Battery this time.
Happy with it.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Dicktator have you checked out Rock Auto, they show the negative battery cable GM part number from
ACDELCO 2SD10XR $14.77

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Another plug for the Battery Tender Plus . . .

The Doophus's original battery only lasted about 2.5 years and was covered by GM's Warranty. The replacement battery along with REGULAR, not occasional, use of the Battery Tender Plus lasted 7 plus years.

We are now on our 3rd GM Battery and after more than 4 years (KNOCK ON WOOD) everything is A-OK.

The 50 Bucks for the Battery Tender Plus turns out to be a mega-bargain compared to the price of a replacement battery, not to mention the aggravation of a dead battery.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

Not based upon SSR and/or car/truck experience, but in my opinion you're taking a risk to rely on a battery beyond about the 4-5 year MAX. I have been a dedicated Battery Tender user on Harleys, and have been caught away from home DEAD.......... Cause the bike cranked A-OK when leaving the garage, but was titts up next time I
needed it to crank to get back home. Been there and done that.

After the four year mark, you would be wise to pony up for a new battery and avoid the possible consequences.:whistle:

·
Premium Member
3,431 Posts
My thought is, why pay almost 3 times the price for an Optima?!?! I do think the Battery Tender is a good addition, and the money you save on the battery will pay for it. $39.97 at Home Depot. I bought 2 last year at a "Special Sale" for $19.95 ea.

Nick

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I’ll give my plug for the Battery Tender Waterproof 800. Years ago I was told by a mechanic at a motorcycle dealership to use that particular model as it worked better due to the slightly higher amperage. The bike is a 1200 twin, that likes a lot of juice to flip over, its electronics are always active (no key), and it has a marginal charging system,. After It is a few months positive results with the bike, I bought one for the Vette and subsequently another for the R too. Batteries on those vehicles tend to last well past the 5 year pro-rated term, even in the Texas heat. My wife and son’s rides, not so much. I use magnetic couplers on the Vette and R, so there is no harm if I forget to disconnect it when I pull away.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
In my experience interstate and acdelco batteries last longer and more importantly don't leak acid.exide batteries leak acid sometimes. Never used battery tender. Just my opinion though

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dicktator have you checked out Rock Auto, they show the negative battery cable GM part number from
ACDELCO 2SD10XR $14.77
Ebay has these on their site as well, $18.75 including shipping if snail mail suits. Looks like about the same
as Rock Auto if you choose the same shipping alternative.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
For an alternative review/advise....
Installed an Optima Red Top about a year ago. Flawless performance and no problems. Yes, more $$. Only the best this ride.
I do not use the battery tender often advised yet. Do follow recommended replacement of the negative ground as a preventative measure. Local shop said the Roadster did not need it - but it's relatively inexpensive - so - gives you peace of mind.

Best!
Boomer Bob

·
Tech Support/Research
1,450 Posts
As it pertains to your original question, I have successfully used Everstart batteries in my vehicles for a number of years and have been satisfied with their performance.

·
Trygodfirst
500 Posts
Thanks fanatics,
I can always depend on some thoughtful replies from people who have had experience with the SSR. What would we do
without Dicktator?
I keep a spare battery cable and ignition switch in my R at all times sine we travel hours away from home. Even have a new windshield washer module as well

1 - 20 of 45 Posts