Chevy SSR Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
SSR Believer
516 Posts
After doing some research, I bought the Sears Diehard Advanced Gold battery - the one with the glass plates. Although local mechs said that it didn't hold a charge after one year, the Sears garage said it tested fine, but gave me a new one anyway. Now it's sitting in my garage as a backup until the O'Reilly one that the garage replaced it with fails. Are there any concerns with letting a new battery sit for long durations?
I was told to always keep them off of the ground, especially concrete; to put it up on a 2x4 or something to insulate it if you have to keep a car battery on the floor.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I was told to always keep them off of the ground, especially concrete; to put it up on a 2x4 or something to insulate it if you have to keep a car battery on the floor.
For many years I was told that as well to never set a battery on a concrete floor. I am always one to ask what others may thing are dumb questions when in training classes and at two different training sessions by two different battery manufacturers I asked the same question. Both said it is an old wives tale when it comes to modern batteries and will not hurt the battery or make it lose its charge. Modern by their term was any with a plastic case.

·
SSR Believer
516 Posts
For many years I was told that as well to never set a battery on a concrete floor. I am always one to ask what others may thing are dumb questions when in training classes and at two different training sessions by two different battery manufacturers I asked the same question. Both said it is an old wives tale when it comes to modern batteries and will not hurt the battery or make it lose its charge. Modern by their term was any with a plastic case.
Good to know. That was back in the 60's, back when we unscrewed the caps to fill them with electrolyte/sulfuric acid, sooooo... times change. ;)

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,561 Posts
I had a tech school instructor while in the air force that added to that tale by stating if you sat on a concrete floor the same "pulling effect" leading to battery discharge would also lead to you developing hemorrhoids.
To this day every time I sit on a concrete floor I remember that story! lol

Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,634 Posts
I always set mine on a board just in case.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts