Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Aqua Blur, auto
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The discussion comes up frequently of using a battery tender on the SSR over the winter. I use one, and have a spare. I just got an email that Northern Tool has a great price on them. Passing along if anyone needs one:

Battery Minder

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
I use Deltran...always connected when the SSR is not driven....Attention...we have a friend his house burnt down and his garage holding classic cars and classic tractors...State Fire Marshall...investigated the fire...and ruled it was the battery tender....he had three battery tenders...connected to strip plug...that shorted out and caused the fire...him and his wife were both at work...the cheap battery tenders were purchased at National Chain that sell cheap tools,cheap hand held tools, and other cheap stuff...usually their is one in every town...beware what you purchase.
vp

·
Registered
2005 SSR 6 Speed Asphalt Black
214 Posts
I use Deltran...always connected when the SSR is not driven....Attention...we have a friend his house burnt down and his garage holding classic cars and classic tractors...State Fire Marshall...investigated the fire...and ruled it was the battery tender....he had three battery tenders...connected to strip plug...that shorted out and caused the fire...him and his wife were both at work...the cheap battery tenders were purchased at National Chain that sell cheap tools,cheap hand held tools, and other cheap stuff...usually their is one in every town...beware what you purchase.
vp
I have my bench that has all the battery chargers on automation to shutdown at night.
I've heard of several instances where battery chargers causing garage fires.
I can sleep at night knowing they are all powered off.
T

·
BLU SSR
4,054 Posts
vp
Just wondering, was the cause of the fire the battery tenders or the strip plug that had 3 plugged in to it at once?

·
Registered
2005 SSR Slingshot Yellow
17 Posts
Newbie here. Where do most of you hook up the battery tender? Direct to the battery under the rear or under the hood somewhere? Please be specific as I just recently got an 05 SSR and plan to get one of these soon.

·
Slingshot Rules!
86,940 Posts
Newbie here. Where do most of you hook up the battery tender? Direct to the battery under the rear or under the hood somewhere? Please be specific as I just recently got an 05 SSR and plan to get one of these soon.
Since "Day One" . . . one of the two Dash AUX Plugs.

The optional plug is about 5 bucks, however, it eliminates visible wires hanging out and/or having to raise the hood each time. Also, with the cable right there, greatly reduces the chance of backing out of the garage while still plugged in.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Registered
2005 SSR Slingshot Yellow
17 Posts
Since "Day One" . . . one of the two Dash AUX Plugs.

The optional plug is about 5 bucks, however, it eliminates visible wires hanging out and/or having to raise the hood each time. Also, with the cable right there, greatly reduces the chance of backing out of the garage while still plugged in.

Thanks Doophus,

Are you saying the Deltran has another battery tender with the Dash type plug or are you saying buy a separate adapter? Could you provide a link like you did for the Deltran? Thanks.

·
Slingshot Rules!
86,940 Posts
Thanks Doophus,

Are you saying the Deltran has another battery tender with the Dash type plug or are you saying buy a separate adapter? Could you provide a link like you did for the Deltran? Thanks.

A Plug for the DelTran Battery Tender Plus that adds the ability to utilize the AUX Dash Plugs or other cigarette lighter type plugs is an option for about 5 bucks.

Definitely simplifies things and makes regular usage much easier.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,341 Posts
@elshout, ours are on the under hood Red battery box and metal body bolt for the ground, using the supplied fused pigtail, with a flat connector plug. Leave the hood up as the reminder to unplug it. Come to our next get together and check it out.

Nick

·
Slingshot Rules!
86,940 Posts
@elshout, ours are on the under hood Red battery box and metal body bolt for the ground, using the supplied fused pigtail, with a flat connector plug. Leave the hood up as the reminder to unplug it. Come to our next get together and check it out.

Nick
That should work without issues, Nick . . .

Being kinda lazy, the optional AUX Plug Adaptor helps me stay lazy and/or get lazier.

·
Premium Member
2,099 Posts
@
SSReplay
Battery tender...caused the fire...didn't help any that their was several 20lb propane tanks that also exploded...and the fuel inside the cars and tractors...now the garage was free standing not connected to the house...

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
I have 2 double Deltran battery tenders and 5 single ones. AT all times I have 4 cars/trucks plugged in plus my Kubota and garden tractor. 24/7. only unplug when driving that vehicle. Definitely extends the battery life.
On the SSR I hooked the pig tail directly to the battery and it exits the top corner of the license plate bracket.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts