Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like to share what I found this last week.
Needed new battery about 18 months ago, looked around and member at BJ's so decided to give their batteries a try. Three months later, I was back, bad cell, and replaced free of charge. Eight months later, same thing. Back I go and am told, they can not replace a battery that has already been replaced. Interesting. Seems the battery is bad, or it is covered warrantee. Anyway, nice lady there decided since I was such a nice guy, she replaced the battery again for me, but that was not their policy.
Last week, truck won't start again. hmmm
Since I know no point in going back to BJ's, I did some research. :nerd: The optima seems to be the best but most expensive. More checking, and discovered Auto Zone has a Duralast Gold with five year warrantee. Three year no questions asked, additional two years pro rated. Since I live in Florida, and batteries don't last too long here. I decided to give the duralast Gold a try. Will see how the warrantee holds up, if it is needed. I do not think any battery will last that long here with the heat.
Oh one more thing..... duralast gold was $179.00 out the door.
AND stay away from EXIDE batteries.

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,534 Posts
OUCH, Charles . . .

After the Doophus's OEM Battery only lasted a couple of years, I invested in a Battery Tender Plus and, believe it or not, the replacement battery lasted more than 7 years.

Now the third battery is still chugging along at a little over three years with consistent regular Battery Tender Plus usage.

The investment of 50 bucks made so much sense that I purchased one for The Bummer (1986 Jeep CJ-7) a few years ago.

Good Luck.

! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: !

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Never heard of BJ's, but I always use O'Reily's or Auto Zone because .... if your on the road and have a failure, there's usually one nearby. Toured a Battery Factory in Atlanta 50 years ago and was convinced all Batteries were alike. Now 50 years later I'm not so sure as everything has changed ... even Batteries !!! :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Where can they be replaced.

I use Interstate for the same reason TDog uses Autozone and O'Reily's. There are Interstate dealers in most towns. I have had excellent results with them also.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Never heard of BJ's, but I always use O'Reily's or Auto Zone because .... if your on the road and have a failure, there's usually one nearby. Toured a Battery Factory in Atlanta 50 years ago and was convinced all Batteries were alike. Now 50 years later I'm not so sure as everything has changed ... even Batteries !!! :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:
:|
TDog......I've never been to a BJ outlet, but I think there was one in Raleigh before we left there and went to the coast. To my understanding, a BJ store is much like a "SAMS" and/or a COSTCO store.

No clue as to the quality or lack of regarding their batteries. I will say that I've become increasingly impressed with the quality of items offered by COSTCO. Their Meat Dept with steaks and Chops and other offerings have been touted by many local restaurant chefs. I've found their beef tenderloins (Choice grade) to be very good. Excellent results with other meat/seafood choices.

I should also add that their Vodka offering is right up there with Ketal One. Anyone going for Ketal One and/or any of the other premium vodkas is just wasting money. Gotta say about he same for their Scotch.........I've for a long time been a Dewars fan, but for much less, the Costco brand hangs right in there.....................:wink2::wink2::wink2::grin2::grin2:

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,052 Posts
I use Interstate for all and Battery Tender Plus on everything. My Harley battery was 10 years old when I replaced it.

Reactions: DOOPHUS

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Reactions: shakatak

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
972 Posts
When I bought my SSR I had the same issue, battery would die about every 6 months. My truck is a daily driver so it wasn't a storage issue. The dead cell in the battery was caused by a bad alternator. The alternator had a bad diode and the battery was not getting charged properly and, over time, killed the battery. You can get it checked out at any Autozone for free.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Yepper: Regardless of battery the Tender is the way to go. There have been several members on the forum that had a slow drain as well that is something to think about and difficult to find at times.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I use Interstate for all and Battery Tender Plus on everything. My Harley battery was 10 years old when I replaced it.
:|:|
Aug....Consider yourself on the lucky side to get 10 years out of a Harley battery. I too use the B. Tender on all my stuff. Years ago, after about 5 1/2 years on that Harley battery, it cranked and got me as far as away from home only to not crank on the next stop. :surprise:

Now my current Harley being a 2014, I'll be buying a new battery soon whether it needs it our not.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey There spook, quite a collection of hot rods you have!
Love it! Do you get to drive them all once in a while?

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
No juice

I do not have electricity where I store my toys.

I do put a disconnect on my antique tractors my grasshopper and the '42 Ford car. Mower batteries aren't the best, but this last week both tractors and the '42 all three started after setting for 11 months.

However, modern vehicles are different. I start my SSR at least every month during the winter. If it is dry
I take it out for about 100 miles. That is why a kept a set of wheels with RSA's on it.

I have a tender. I would recommend it. I only wish I could use it.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts

I do put a disconnect on my antique tractors my grasshopper and the '42 Ford car. Mower batteries aren't the best, but this last week both tractors and the '42 all three started after setting for 11 months.

However, modern vehicles are different. I start my SSR at least every month during the winter. If it is dry
I take it out for about 100 miles. That is why a kept a set of wheels with RSA's on it.

Dave

Dave,

Having been born and raised in Omaha, and spending close to half my life there (over 35 yrs) I know the wind blows pretty good there and quite often as my wife reminds me. Not knowing your location as being rural or semi rural with no electricity, could you not erect a Windmill to generate enough juice to power a battery tender or maybe two or three.:grin2:

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,534 Posts

Dave

Dave,

Having been born and raised in Omaha, and spending close to half my life there (over 35 yrs) I know the wind blows pretty good there and quite often as my wife reminds me. Not knowing your location as being rural or semi rural with no electricity, could you not erect a Windmill to generate enough juice to power a battery tender or maybe two or three.:grin2:
. . . or even a small Solar Panel?

I saw one at a Car Show that was about the size of a magazine with a long cord and an AUX Plug at the other end.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,395 Posts
Maybe a windmill that drives an automotive alternator? No transformer required. 12 volts when the wind blows. Would have to be gear driven to get the speed right but that should be doable I would think.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,656 Posts
Yes, Florida heat is tough on Batteries, that's why I change battery, battery Negative Cable and ignition switch every 4/5 years need to or not.

I know, I keep saying this but remember EVERYTHING goes thru ignition switch and switch MUST see 9 volts to work correctly.

9 volts from 12 volts only leaves 3 volt margin.

I had alternator rebuilt (chrome) recently, working fine but 10 years old.

More about Battery on my SSR How to Library:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,384 Posts
I have 6, 2X8 foot Clear panels in the roof of my shop, so I have switched to Coleman brand Solar battery maintainer. One on each Riding Mower, one on each Chevelle and one on each SSR. So far they seem OK. The cars have a pigtail under the Hood with a plug. The Mowers use Alligator clips. Oh, the '78 454 Suburban with one on the dash.

Nick

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I installed an Odyssey Battery in my Tahoe in 2011 and it is still going strong. I have killed it 3 times by leaving something on that I should have turned off, and still it keeps going. My friend Larry had one last 10 years in his Honda and 9 years in his Harley. Without a doubt the heaviest battery that I have ever lifted, my god it weights a ton, lots of heavy Lead. but a great Battery.

·
Premium Member
31,282 Posts
Well, I have "bad news" when it comes to car battery brands. There are only 3 major manufacturers here in the US for flooded lead acid type batteries: Exide, East Penn ("Deka"), and Johnson controls. That said though, it's not to say that an Exide branded battery is identical to an Interstate battery (which they also make). So, in most cases, it will come down to how good the warranty and customer service is.

Supposedly, the Duralast batteries are also from the same manufacturer as the Sears Diehard. I had been using only the Diehard in the SSR, but after 2 premature failures and Sears pro-rated warranty basically leaving you with nothing (not to mention their financial health not being all that great), I opted to go with a Duralast. I do see good reviews for ACDelco batteries, and sometimes you just can't beat OEM anyway. (Not to mention the original factory battery lasted longest of all to date.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts