Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the "Darkstar" has been parked for 2 months; when I tried to start it the battery appeared to be dead and it would not release the key. I tried 2 battery chargers hooked to the terminals under the hood and neither acknowleged a battery at all, refusing to charge at all.

A search of this forum yielded similar problems but no one has mentioned the charge refusal issue and I don't believe that this particular issue was caused by "power robbing space aliens" although, as Dennis Miller says, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong".

Anyone? Anyone? Ferris?

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
The problem is that the battery chargers need to receive a certain voltage from the source to complete the circuit. You can take a 9 volt battery and hook the positive and negative to the battery charger to start the charging sequence. It will start the charge and you can usually remove the 9 volt after about 20 minutes. The battery in the SSR needs to have the negative terminal removed for long term storage due to functions that continue to drain battery voltage while being stored. It is best to remove the battery and do this on a work bench. If you need help feel free to give me a call and I can walk you through it.

Joe (760)522-8669

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Now after reading this I went out and hooked the charger up to the SSr, 4 hours later I still have NO green light. Its STILL taking the charge and I had it started and running earlier in the day. I also had the charger on it about 6 weeks ago when I first got it from the Dealer. The battery seems to really loose a charge fast.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I would take it to the dealership and have the battery tested. Just tell the service tech that you have to charge it all the time and they will probably just replace it under warranty.

I had the battery replaced in my 2002 Z06 just 6 month after I bought it due to the battery dieing. It would loose traction control, anti-lock brakes and the stereo right after each other while you were driving it. When the dealership heard that they pulled and replaced it on the spot without even checking it. I never had another problem after that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
2005ssr6speed

In my area its possible that I won't run for say 2 months. Would you suggest this to be long term? If so, I am better off to unhook negative?????????
I have to say this is not an area of strength for me(mechanical stuff)

Many Thanks:)

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
The best way to do it is either get a battery tender or disconnect the negative terminal. The battery tender was discussed just recently in the link below. The battery is located under the bed of the SSR behind the licence plate. You can drop the battery and just disconnect it. The problem with dropping the battery is that all your presets for the radio and seats have to be reset.

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7493

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
6Speed: After you get your battery problems sorted out, consider a Battery Tender for future storage times. I think you will like it. Take a look at comments regarding Battery Tenders on this site. You don't have to fuss around with the Batt. just plug in the Cig. opening in the back of vehicle and forget. Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts