Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve changed the ignition switch and the car still won’t start. Does this mean I need to replace the battery, and if so does anyone have any recommendations of a battery for a 2004 model?

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,398 Posts
I’ve changed the ignition switch and the car still won’t start. Does this mean I need to replace the battery, and if so does anyone have any recommendations of a battery for a 2004 model?
Sarah,
Where are you located? Maybe someone could come help you trouble shoot the issue. Get a good, brand name battery, and not a discount brand. If you are not going to drive it much you might also get a Battery Tender to keep the battery charged while it is sitting.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Does it try to do anything when you turn key to crank?
Did you try moving shifter to "N", watch driver info center to make sure neutral.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Battery & More

We changed the ignition switch nothing happened. Changed the battery and it turned on. Yay....it hadn’t been driven in about 7 months so we decided to take it for a spin rather than shutting it back off.

When we got to the gas station it wouldn’t turn off....the key came out but car kept running. Brought it back home took the battery out since we couldn’t find a way to shut it down. The part that has the release button to get the key out of the ignition seems to have a broken piece...I believe it is called the steering lock??? Is this correct? If so we believe that is the problem. We went to autozone and they said no auto stores carry that piece. Is this true, and if so where am I supposed to get a replacement and how much do they typically cost. Today I’ve replaced the ignition switch and battery.

Need more info if you all can provide more insight and clarity.

My father passed and my mother, brother and I are trying to figure all this out. So far this website has been my guide and it has been a God send. ??

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Sarah: We all feel your pain. If you will post the state and city you are located you might have someone close by that can render some hands on help. We all do this from time to time. These vehicles don't like sitting for an extended amount of time. There are some really good people on this site that can and will do incredible things to get you back on the road. respectfully, Ok I see you are from tx area...lots of help in that area available.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Sarah: one more thing. When you replaced the ignition switch it is crucial to follow the directions to a tee. Go to the library on this forum and run a copy of "replacing ignition switch". If you get the alignment off it is my recollection that you might experience a problem like you have described. Its been a while since I've replaced one so I just don't remember.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, we are located in Pasadena, Tx. We have come to the conclusion that the steeering/ignition lock got broken. My brother may not have connected everything back properly when he put the new ignition switch in. I have attached pictures of the broken part.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts