Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
OP
8,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from Colorado with the wife and SSR after driving through the San Juan Mountains. Had a blast but the SSR roof started acting up during the trip and I had to seek help from the only Chevy dealership in the area and I wanted to share my experience in case any of you plan on heading that way.

First of all, try and make sure your SSR is running in tip-top shape before arriving in Durango as you will probably find a lack of compassion or service from the dealer in town, regardless of the problem or how far from home you are.

To begin: I was experiencing another switch fault when lowering the top while I was in Silverton (50miles north of Durango, about 2 hour drive) I called my home dealer immediately to request he call the local Durango dealer to give them the heads up and a fix since he had corrected this problem before. He would not do that for me and stated that they had access to all the same information and should be able to fix it with no problem, very quickly. That home dealer is Don Hewlett Chevrolet in Georgetown, TX. I hung up dazed and confused but understood that it is not their job to do those types of things...

As soon as I returned to Durango (16:00) I went straight to the Chevy dealer ( I won't mention their name since I do not feel they deserve the free advertising, but they are the only game in town.) and spoke with two very nice service technicians who told me that "they were too busy to help me and that I should drive to Farmington or Albuquerque, NM for service". They showed me how much paperwork they were under so I would appreciate their situation.

I explained to them my situation and that all I needed was five minutes to clear the fault codes in the SSR computer so this roof problem could be fixed until I returned home and Hewlett could troubleshoot it further ( I knew this because of past fixes for the same problem), they still turned me away.

I returned to my hotel and immediately called the general manager, Ray, to plead to him my situation. I identified myself and my SSR and that I was a member of this forum. His first response was that he saw me drive up and "nice truck" I thanked him and began my explanation of my experience at his facility. Before I finished my first sentence, he interrupted with the question, "who was rude to you?" I answered no one was rude, they were very polite but turned me away and I then congratulated him on his apparent successful business in the service department.

He asked how he could help me and I stated that all I needed was 5 minutes to reset the codes in the SSR so I could raise my roof and lower it without having to do it manually, that it would fix it for approx. 1 month while in the meantime I could return home and have my service center troubleshoot and hopefully fix it permanently. He stated that they would be unable to do this as they were 2 mechanics short, but he also acknowledged that I was passing through and that Durango relies heavily on the tourist trade. I then told him to check this forum as I would publish our conversation (are you reading this Ray?) and he asked me to take it easy on them.

Now as polite as everyone (including Ray) was at this dealer, they were of no help to my situation nor did they really seem to care that I was passing through and in need of some minor help, matter of fact they were about as much help as my local dealer was in this matter.

I am glad this was a minor roof inconvienence and not a major mechanical matter as I would probably still be sitting in Durango right now (not that that is a bad thing... :) )

This phone conversation took place on 8/29/2005 at around 16:15.

So, if we ever were going to have a group ride to that part of the country or if any of you are planning to drive your SSR's there, please make sure everything is in good running condition and plan on making a drive 2-4 hours away for service if needed.

And if anyone in that part of Colorado is reading this, think twice before doing business with that dealer as I am not sure if they will be able to assist you in an emergency, especially if you do not live there.

By the way, I make that trip every 2-3 years religiously, but this is the first time I have driven the entire distance and obviously the first time ever to take the SSR.

Ray? was I easy enough on you guys? Thanks for being so polite and once again, I wish you the best of luck on your thriving business.
ampmOP

·
Registered
416 Posts
Coincidentally, I live in Texas, and my wife and I are planning a 2-week trip to Colorado during the second half of this month. We hadn't decided yet whether to head NE towards Estes Park, or SW along the San Juan highway, but this information will definitely figure into our decision.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ray

Drive thru Illinois and wave cause U all dont wanna get stopped by me ,cause Im sure Ill be deaf to your reasons of INSANITY for driving like a goat roper Went to college in Gunnison,Colorado and everyone helped everyone else ....... comprende pardner

·
Premium Member
17,316 Posts
Jetcop20 said:
Drive thru Illinois and wave cause U all dont wanna get stopped by me ,cause Im sure Ill be deaf to your reasons of INSANITY for driving like a goat roper Went to college in Gunnison,Colorado and everyone helped everyone else ....... comprende pardner
Color me slow, but what, exactly, does this statement mean? Are you saying that "ampmop" is mistaken in the way he was treated, or is it something else?

I realize I am from Texas, and probally dont see things too clearly.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
You can call me Ray...

Focks said:
Color me slow, but what, exactly, does this statement mean? Are you saying that "ampmop" is mistaken in the way he was treated, or is it something else?

I realize I am from Texas, and probally dont see things too clearly.

I think Jetcop's remarks were a rebuke of "Ray" the service manager on the remote possibility he might have looked in on this board. Do they have goat ropers in Texas? :lol :lol :lol

·
Premium Member
17,316 Posts
I had to ask.. after all that has taken place this week, I guess I may be on a short leash.. when I first read that I thought there was something else being said. And yes, we have goat ropers in Texas, but we call them tour guides.

·
OP
8,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Colorodo said:
I am surprised that they couldnt take 5 minutes to do that, when I worked for a dealership we always went out of our way to help someone out if they were traveling thru.
That's what I thought as well, but I smiled, thanked them for their time and graciously left. It wasn't until I steamed driving back to the Strater hotel that i decided to call "Ray". Thanks for the response and understanding.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
ampmop: I believe it is against their dealership agreement to NOT service a Chevrolet product, ESPECIALLY when they are the only dealer reasonably close by at the time that service is needed.

This incident should be reported to Chevrolet's customer relationship department as that kind of behavior is totally unacceptable.

In fact, I'm going to right now draw Kim Carpenter's attention to it via an email to her.

Jim G

·
OP
8,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone

Thanks for your ears everyone, especially you JimG, copy me on the email if you could, I would like to speak to Kim about a couple of other things, such as never being sent a customer survey for the purchase of my vehicle to ALL the service visits, never, not one, ever to date.

·
Premium Member
17,316 Posts
I really wish you would put the name of the dealership up on the board. If for nothing else, then the fact tht I want to call them. in fact, you should send your story to the paper in Durango. Might as well have some fun with it.

·
OP
8,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Focks said:
I really wish you would put the name of the dealership up on the board. If for nothing else, then the fact tht I want to call them. in fact, you should send your story to the paper in Durango. Might as well have some fun with it.
If you google chevy dealerships in durango, co, you will find them. Good idea on the local paper though, but they probably wouldn't run it...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow

Bottom line to the problem in Durango//been riding Harleys since 79 and driving since 69..........you help someone on their way THRU stop...drop understand the point of helping someone who is not from around here GET IT .....................and goat ropers are someone Ive dealt with since 69 IF U know the term then there aint NO problem///////////////////// ? Ive never had a problem on the road in 39 states to date with Harley dealers nor chevy dealers to rectify a problem to keep me on my ROAD TOUR you meet a real ass##########..........part of life Ive dealt with it for the past 25 years as the police and I dont take it home with me.......... s*** happens and you go on but Ill stay south north east and west of chevy dealer in Durango...............U all have a great day cause Im livn large each day and my SSR is rockn along with Me DUH!

·
OP
8,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jetcop20 said:
Bottom line to the problem in Durango//been riding Harleys since 79 and driving since 69..........you help someone on their way THRU stop...drop understand the point of helping someone who is not from around here GET IT .....................and goat ropers are someone Ive dealt with since 69 IF U know the term then there aint NO problem///////////////////// ? Ive never had a problem on the road in 39 states to date with Harley dealers nor chevy dealers to rectify a problem to keep me on my ROAD TOUR you meet a real ass##########..........part of life Ive dealt with it for the past 25 years as the police and I dont take it home with me.......... s*** happens and you go on but Ill stay south north east and west of chevy dealer in Durango...............U all have a great day cause Im livn large each day and my SSR is rockn along with Me DUH!
Thank you officer! I get exactly what you are saying (especially the goat roper part) I hope to meet you if I'm ever in the windy city, and if I'm drivin' the SSR, I'll even try and obey the speed limit so as not to put you in a precarious position :)
But if you ever get the chance to drive the million dollar highway in the San Juan Mountains, do so, either on your HOG or the SSR, both will prove to be a blast to drive on that ribbon.
Drive safe
OP

G

·
Focks said:
I had to ask.. after all that has taken place this week, I guess I may be on a short leash.. when I first read that I thought there was something else being said. And yes, we have goat ropers in Texas, but we call them tour guides.
You mean a short rope don't you? :jester :glol :glol :ssr

·
OP
8,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GM is listening

As some of you know, this thread started something and thanks to JimG it went places as well.

I have been contact by phone several times by a representative of the GM Executive Offices concerning my experience in Durango, CO recently as well as my hometown dealer and their service department.
Most of the concern at this point is to the health of my SSR and how the dealer is handling it.

It is nice to know someone is finally on my side from GM as to the glitches in the SSR and if they are being corrected.

I will speak to the executive on Monday afternoon and will update if there is more information.

G

·
Interesting... I will be traveling through that area of the country from Texas during the first two weeks of November... Thanks for the info...
Ed...

·
OP
8,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
grillman said:
Interesting... I will be traveling through that area of the country from Texas during the first two weeks of November... Thanks for the info...
Ed...
Cool, you'll love the ride. Stop by and tell Ray I said HI! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.