Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've tried a number of ways to join the thread regarding this June 21-24 Beach Cruise and each time I think I've been successful it turns out that I can't find any hint that my - so very important contribution - actually made it into the message flow. Oh well, if this is redundant, if my other messages found another place to reside, guess you'll be an expert regarding what I'm trying to convey. Anyway, last August (2017) I thought it was time for me to do something that would be just for me. So I bought a 2004 SSR and dinked around with it a little (new tires, replaced interior door inserts, put in Plexiglas windscreen, installed front license plate frame, painted wheels black...) before I put it away in the garage for the winter. I was startled the other day to find that the sun had returned so I've been thinking it's time to take her out on my first road trip (even though, after reading some of the warnings posted by members on this site, it seems like I'm taking a relatively high risk to travel without first performing some of the many recommended upgrades). So I found the informative post regarding the Beach Cruise and I'm enticed to join in the fun (hoping you experienced riders won't mind a newbie amongst you). I checked on lodging and found that there's not much available in the immediate area so I guess I'll be checking on perimeter accommodations. Perhaps one of you seasoned SSR veterans can suggest alternatives that I might not find on my own. So I'll finish up here and register for the event. Looking forward to any responses. Nape

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,590 Posts
Nape I believe that you haven't made enough posts to post on a thread. Penticton is a great event, and close for folks in Washington State...you have a great support network there! I'm sure Ray (Flassh) will read this post and get you registered, post your e-mail address so you can be contacted. In the mean time call Lakeside Resort Penticton, I'm sure they have a room. 1-250-493-8221. I hope I have helped!

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gordy. I did, in fact call Lakeside and they do have a room but I'm just having a hard time justifying $1300 for a bed. I've been checking around the area and this appears to be THE event for Penticton because it seems everywhere is sold out so I can't find any reasonably priced rooms. There are rooms at considerably less cost available in neighboring towns, 20 minutes or so away and that might be the better choice. I'll keep working on that. Thanks again for your suggestions. Nape

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Nape:
We attended last year, for the first time, with a bone stock 2004 SSR wearing original tires. We drove 8 hours each way to attend.

Fun, definitely. Informative .. yes. Great bunch of SSR owners ... absolutely!

And, we are going back again this year, but on new tires and with our cooling system issue solved (we overheated while caught in Vancouver BC traffic on the way to Penticton). Last year we participated in everything including Zia's for diner, the parade, Winding Road cruise and the Show & Shine and had a thorough blast. Will be doing the same this year as well.

Consider a B & B maybe, but try to be there. Come, enjoy, you won't regret it!

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,590 Posts
So I've tried a number of ways to join the thread regarding this June 21-24 Beach Cruise and each time I think I've been successful it turns out that I can't find any hint that my - so very important contribution - actually made it into the message flow. Oh well, if this is redundant, if my other messages found another place to reside, guess you'll be an expert regarding what I'm trying to convey. Anyway, last August (2017) I thought it was time for me to do something that would be just for me. So I bought a 2004 SSR and dinked around with it a little (new tires, replaced interior door inserts, put in Plexiglas windscreen, installed front license plate frame, painted wheels black...) before I put it away in the garage for the winter. I was startled the other day to find that the sun had returned so I've been thinking it's time to take her out on my first road trip (even though, after reading some of the warnings posted by members on this site, it seems like I'm taking a relatively high risk to travel without first performing some of the many recommended upgrades). So I found the informative post regarding the Beach Cruise and I'm enticed to join in the fun (hoping you experienced riders won't mind a newbie amongst you). I checked on lodging and found that there's not much available in the immediate area so I guess I'll be checking on perimeter accommodations. Perhaps one of you seasoned SSR veterans can suggest alternatives that I might not find on my own. So I'll finish up here and register for the event. Looking forward to any responses. Nape
Nape you might want to try Summerland B.C. that's just a hop, skip and a jump from the event. Also try Coast Penticton Hotel, a number of us Alberta SSR's are staying there 1-250-492-0225, ask to be put on wait list if they have no rooms. This method has proved successful for folks that are coming in late. Hope this works.

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Thanks Gordy. I did, in fact call Lakeside and they do have a room but I'm just having a hard time justifying $1300 for a bed. I've been checking around the area and this appears to be THE event for Penticton because it seems everywhere is sold out so I can't find any reasonably priced rooms. There are rooms at considerably less cost available in neighboring towns, 20 minutes or so away and that might be the better choice. I'll keep working on that. Thanks again for your suggestions. Nape
Did you let them know you were with SSR Fanatics when you called?

Our booking at the Lakeside will be in the $210 - 230/night range, depending on the room selected. For three nights, with taxes, that's probably a bit over $700 Canadian. Converted to US$, somewhere in the $525 range.

Not sure where the $1300 number comes from, unless you are staying for a week or so.

The Lakeside is next door to where the SSRs will be parked in Rotary, and is central to the show, so very convenient. The hotel has been sold out since last year's show, except for a few group bookings. Our available rooms will turn over to accommodate their waiting list on May 7th. I booked those rooms prior to last year's Beach Cruise in order to be sure we had them available.

Hope you can make it. With over 40 SSRs, definitely the largest SSR party in the northwest. Show registration is in the 730 car range now, and will shut down when we reach 800 cars.

I don't have a phone number for you, so please call me at 250-490-7676 if I can be of help.

·
Super Moderator
13,943 Posts
Nape, I know what you mean about room cost
I haven't done this yet but I think the idea is to crash a bunch of Fanatic parties - then mosey off to the poor man's quarters.
Whatever you work out, we will be happy to meet your acquaintance!

Ray left his number - he is The Guy!

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All, thanks for your kind comments and suggestions. Regarding the $1300 cost I kinda overstated reality. When I checked in at the Lakeside they quoted me $345 per night. So I quickly calculated: $345 x 4 = $1,080. But now that I'm putting in a bit more effort I realize that I miss calculated because it should only be 3 nights, so it S/B $1,000. Flassh, if I'm interpreting your comments correctly you had the resort reserve a block of rooms for the SSR group. If so, you seem to be implying that there could still be some of those rooms available (until 5/7) so maybe I could still get in on that deal. If I can get into one of those rooms for less than $250 a night I'll jump on it. I'll give them a call right now and see what I can find out. Thanks again for your help. I have decided to join in the event regardless of lodging (maybe I'll bring my tent) so I'm looking forward to making new acquaintances. In that regard, is there any plan to meet anywhere, perhaps along the route, to caravan to the venue?

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
All, thanks for your kind comments and suggestions. Regarding the $1300 cost I kinda overstated reality. When I checked in at the Lakeside they quoted me $345 per night. So I quickly calculated: $345 x 4 = $1,080. But now that I'm putting in a bit more effort I realize that I miss calculated because it should only be 3 nights, so it S/B $1,000. Flassh, if I'm interpreting your comments correctly you had the resort reserve a block of rooms for the SSR group. If so, you seem to be implying that there could still be some of those rooms available (until 5/7) so maybe I could still get in on that deal. If I can get into one of those rooms for less than $250 a night I'll jump on it. I'll give them a call right now and see what I can find out. Thanks again for your help. I have decided to join in the event regardless of lodging (maybe I'll bring my tent) so I'm looking forward to making new acquaintances. In that regard, is there any plan to meet anywhere, perhaps along the route, to caravan to the venue?
There is a fairly large group coming from Seattle. Sue (Tickledpink) will be the wagonmaster, trying to keep those cats herded. They will likely roll out early Thursday morning, cuz they aint missin Zia's. I'm sure they will be in contact with you their travel plans. Much more fun in a convoy. donnys05ssr, Redracr, Jester and Go n By By will be part of the group.
billandwende, Dan18237, gonein60seconds will possibly be joining up with them as well. That groups is pretty well organized.

Call me once you check in with the hotel, and I'll get some info from you to relay to the Seattle group. There are definitely still rooms in our block, under SSR Fanatics.

I will call them tomorrow to see if they can extend our block a couple more weeks. At the price difference, I'm sure they would rather retail the rooms, but they have been very accommodating over the years.

Keep exchange rates in mind also. The exact rate changes constantly, but on a credit card, you are likely at about 75% of the stated rate when paying with a US$ card.

Reactions: ABLUR05

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Flassh, you are correct, they do still have rooms left. I knew there was a reason for me to reach-out to you people. I now have a room that faces the park (she suggested it's a partial view of the park where our cars will be staged so I'm guessing I'll have a great view of the resort parking lot). I guess it really pays to know people. The cost (after converting CD to USD) will be about $202/night, $600 total. That's better than some of the 2 and 3 star facilities I was considering.
I'm old so I'm slow. There are a lot of challenges I need to overcome learning to negotiate this website and I'm still early in the learning curve. I've created a profile and made entries on various informational pages but they don't seem to pop-up where I'm expecting them to,but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it with time. In case you can't find it here's some contact info: Bob Napier, (206) 799-6667.

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Tickledpink welcomes you to our Northwest SSR FANTASTICS!!!

Hello Bob,
I tried to RSVP to one of your messages but my password won't work on anything but my old and tired laptop.... glad you finally got some good advice on where to stay, etc.

Our group leaves early Thursday morning from Bellevue (Sue), Bothell (Mark - jester), and meets up with the others (Redracer, GO N BYE BYE, Donnys SSR (all from Orting), and the Thompsons - Renton...... we meet at the Safeway in Cle Elum. (1st exit off I-90 in Cle Elum. From there we caravan together through Chelan and on up to the BC border with a few stops, then on to the Hotel where we check in and head out to go to Zia's for the group Meet and Greet !! You will meet some of the nicest fun SSR FANTASTICS both Canadian and American - Each owner will have SSR information to share with you if you ask.

We may meet up with the Nevada Group, Oregon SSRs and California as well as we get to Chelan !!!

I have your phone number - my email is [email protected]

Talk to you soon !!! This is what we call a PERMAGRIN DAY !

:cheer::cheer::cheer:
Sue Campbell

·
Spirited driver!
1,544 Posts
Hello Bob,
I tried to RSVP to one of your messages but my password won't work on anything but my old and tired laptop.... glad you finally got some good advice on where to stay, etc.

Our group leaves early Thursday morning from Bellevue (Sue), Bothell (Mark - jester), and meets up with the others (Redracer, GO N BYE BYE, Donnys SSR (all from Orting), and the Thompsons - Renton...... we meet at the Safeway in Cle Elum. (1st exit off I-90 in Cle Elum. From there we caravan together through Chelan and on up to the BC border with a few stops, then on to the Hotel where we check in and head out to go to Zia's for the group Meet and Greet !! You will meet some of the nicest fun SSR FANTASTICS both Canadian and American - Each owner will have SSR information to share with you if you ask.

We may meet up with the Nevada Group, Oregon SSRs and California as well as we get to Chelan !!!

I have your phone number - my email is [email protected]

Talk to you soon !!! This is what we call a PERMAGRIN DAY !

Sue Campbell
Hi Sue,

what time are you planning to leave Cle Elum? We might be able to join if I can get up that early. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Sue is having trouble logging in, and even her old laptop isn't cooperating. She phoned me this afternoon so I could let you know she will reply when the site lets her back in.:frown2:

Reactions: PokerGuy

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Our group from Orting Washington will leave at seven thirty and and will be at the CLE ELM safeway parking lot about nine fifteen for a very short stop and then onto Chelan and stop at the Walmart just thru town. For a sub sandwich and then head for the border. Our stops have to be short so we can get to Pentiction In time to check Into the hotel and go to Summerland for dinner at Zias. Anyone meeting us on the way needs to be on time for our Cle Elum bathroom stop and onto Chelan. If anyone wants to meet us In Chelan, At the Walmart, We should be there about noon. Any questions, PM me. Thanks Donny

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Tickled pink SAVED BY MARC, NY !!!

WOW - many hours trying to get back on to reply regarding our run to Penticton ! Administrator Marc finally got my laptop up and running this morning ! XXXOOO:cheer:

Yesterday Mark (Jester) and I met Bob (newbie Nape) from Redmond at my house and enjoyed an SSR afternoon getting Bob up to date on all the events for the great Migration of SSRs into Penticton !!

Thanks to Ray and Donny for answering the meeting times with Poker Guy. We will keep up to date with those who wish to meet our Caravan of SSR BEAUTIES as we get closer to the final hour of departure. The main thing is to make sure you all have a Passport. The second most important thing to remember is that its a long drive to the Hotel and then to run to Zia's in time to park and find a seat at Zia's. Our group needs everyone to be on time as no one will wait for late arrivals.

Can't wait to see so many of you for the first time :00000732: and those I've met before as well !!!

XXXOOO
Sue

1 - 15 of 15 Posts