Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I are going to pick up the molded carpet system today. Decided we would give the install a try so we're only expecting 4 fights and a long day! Should be fun...thanks to earlier posts we have a good idea of what to watch for.

Daren and Dee:smash :smash :reddevil

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
one suggestion-

work out your movements and how & where you're placing the tonnau cover.
you can stand it up if you have some padding under the corners.
is there a wire for the light?
good luck:flag

·
Registered
631 Posts
We did this

and we're still married!! Installed kit in my wife's 04 about 3 months ago. The biggest issues are (1) running the wire through the double wall of the bed and out the bottom of the body/frame behind the cargo cover actuator, and (2) realigning the cargo cover bracket after the wire is installed. Carefully mark height of the bracket, and you should have no problems. Would you like someone to stand by and roll bandages...:glol

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
when it gets to be to much pressure and after the 2nd fight just go for a ride and take turns driving, it will all work out :)

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Were did you get your carpet?

I went down to the dealer and they said it was not an accessory, but I can buy the molded bed carpet for $1400. Is this correct, it just does not add up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the tips....just got back, yet it came with the light and the piece for the tailgate....also got some extra plastic grommet things because from previous threads it seems I may break some. I called my Chevy part guys and it listed for around $1,200 (retail) but ended up getting it for 980 (list price) but still no shipping either...they got it in 3 days! Doesn't come with the red oak slats so I ordered them seperately (123.25 list).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Install when really good, only took a few hours. A buddy of mine helped while the wife cleaned her interior (saved time not arguing) :0
Awesome look after the install, really cleaned things up a bit. My carpet for the cover didn't have the small map area at the back for some weird reason....also, as noted in an earlier post...chevy shorts you a couple of the carpeted plastic lock pieces (if you do the install buy a couple of these and a couple of the plastic ones, only 72cents each). Running the wire for the light wasn't bad at all, just a little confusing finding where the wire goes then understanding that it goes "in" the body and up. Moving the junction box a little did help then we simply cut the old front connection in the bed and taped the old harness and new harness together with elec. tape and pulled it right through. As stated, as long as you mark the bed cover brackets location before you dissasemble then it's a piece of cake to realign everything. I have some pics I'll try to post for the next guy/girl....
If you do a search and get the written directions from others and take a look at a couple of pics then it's very simple. All in all only a couple of hours work.

Later,

Daren and Dee

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Phat300 said:
Install when really good, only took a few hours. A buddy of mine helped while the wife cleaned her interior (saved time not arguing) :0
Awesome look after the install, really cleaned things up a bit. My carpet for the cover didn't have the small map area at the back for some weird reason....also, as noted in an earlier post...chevy shorts you a couple of the carpeted plastic lock pieces (if you do the install buy a couple of these and a couple of the plastic ones, only 72cents each). Running the wire for the light wasn't bad at all, just a little confusing finding where the wire goes then understanding that it goes "in" the body and up. Moving the junction box a little did help then we simply cut the old front connection in the bed and taped the old harness and new harness together with elec. tape and pulled it right through. As stated, as long as you mark the bed cover brackets location before you dissasemble then it's a piece of cake to realign everything. I have some pics I'll try to post for the next guy/girl....
If you do a search and get the written directions from others and take a look at a couple of pics then it's very simple. All in all only a couple of hours work.

Later,

Daren and Dee

Daren and Dee do you realy have to take the cargo cover off?​

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, cargo cover must come off because the bracket is actually a two piece system. Remove the "grey" 1/2" bolt first and then you will see it seperates from the other half. The drivers side bracket has a whole behind it and this is where the wiring harness comes through the body and connect to a ground switch on the drivers side bracket.

D and d

·
Registered
631 Posts
From the factory,

the cargo cover liners had the small compartment (some said for a change of underwear :lol ) and that's what my '05 had - compartment, not underwear :nono , but aftermarket from GMDirect for the wife's 04 did not have the compartment. Go figure :skep . Glad it went well for you, it really makes a difference in giving a finished appearance! :seeya

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:jester :reddevil aaaaahhh that explains it then..... glad the wife don't wear underwear, guess I got the right one afterall.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pics

1. Is the bedliner removed after removing the cargo cover (6 bolts)....if you can, have two others help you while you unbold everything and have them pull gently toward the rear of the truck so it doesn't slide forward into your paint.

2. Wiring for the light is behind this bracket, take out grey bolt first then the bracket is two pieces, take off four other nuts and then you will have the old wiring harness, (clips to the inner bracket)...TAPE IT NOW so you don't lose it in the hole. All nuts are 1/2" standard.

3. This whole contains a short wiring harness for the 12V cigarette lighter type pluy that is on your liner....comes new and complete with the bed carpet system, just get underneath the rear wheel and you will find the connector.

4. Shot of the fuse box behind the drivers side rear of the truck. This is the box you have to move out of your way a little after removing two torx bolts, notice the "tube" looking part of the body....the wiring harness actually goes inside here :leaving

5. Finished and clean.....didn't break anything or hurt anyone.

:reddevil :seeya :cool

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Uh... the cargo cover is designed to come off by removing the "silver" bolt on each side... The brackets, hinges, and gas struts stay on the cargo cover so that every thing stays in alignment.

To put the carpet in, the "attached to the truck" half of the bracket must also be removed, as you describe. But this is ONLY when doing the carpet/bedliner, wiring work... and, yes, I've done the carpet kit.

So anyway, back to the cargo cover, for your future reference and for anyone else reading this thread and seeing the photos: DO NOT remove the six bolts to do a "normal, every day" removal of the cargo cover.

SEE PAGE 2-36 OF YOUR OWNERS MANUAL, it describes how to remove and re-install the cargo cover with only the silver bolts... and this is the first step of doing a bedliner carpet kit. Just remove the cover normally.

And, welcome to the carpet club! Ain't it cool? And, I love your painted accessories... very slick.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agree, I simply described what I was doing. Not explaining the everyday removal. Thanks for the clarification though.

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
Phat300 said:
Agree, I simply described what I was doing. Not explaining the everyday removal. Thanks for the clarification though.
I just want to say, great paint job, nice pictures! I've never seen it w/out the carpet or bedliner before and was always curious, thanks! The info from both you and Frisco was very informative. Now I know how to do it! :thumbs

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
more pix of phat 300's redline

Some pix I took along the way...I'm sure Dee won't mind:leaving

P/P

Peace:flag

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool pics! Thanks for posting them. I didn't take any of the little devil's on the WindsupreSSR yet so this was a nice surprise!

D and d

·
Premium Member
9,920 Posts
1. Is the bedliner removed after removing the cargo cover (6 bolts)....if you can, have two others help you while you unbold everything and have them pull gently toward the rear of the truck so it doesn't slide forward into your paint.

2. Wiring for the light is behind this bracket, take out grey bolt first then the bracket is two pieces, take off four other nuts and then you will have the old wiring harness, (clips to the inner bracket)...TAPE IT NOW so you don't lose it in the hole. All nuts are 1/2" standard.

3. This whole contains a short wiring harness for the 12V cigarette lighter type pluy that is on your liner....comes new and complete with the bed carpet system, just get underneath the rear wheel and you will find the connector.

4. Shot of the fuse box behind the drivers side rear of the truck. This is the box you have to move out of your way a little after removing two torx bolts, notice the "tube" looking part of the body....the wiring harness actually goes inside here :leaving

5. Finished and clean.....didn't break anything or hurt anyone.

:reddevil :seeya :cool
I must be missing something. The dealers want to sell (17) of those push pins to attach the cargo lid carpet. But, it looks like (18) are needed?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts