Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search but didn't find answers to my question so here goes...

I bought one of the nice painted rear spoilers on ebay. Just got it and I'm impressed with it. But now to install it.

My issues revolves around removing the carpet on the bed cover and then reinstalling it after the spoiler goes on. What's the best way to get it off and back on without any damage? I'm sure there are a few tricks to it so before I mess something up, I'd figure I'd ask. Anyone care to share their experiences and tricks on how to do it?

Thanks, Wizzr.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
So, I believe it’s best to leave it on the truck, not sure you have to remove the carpet. I be read a lot a threads that state that was the easiest way. I installed mine
on the vehicle, too much work and aggravation to remove the cargo cover...and it takes two people to lift it off. Just secure and mark where the holes need to be drilled, check it again, make sure that the holes are where they should be for drilling....check it again and when you are satisfied, drill the pilots. Easy as heck if you have the patience and proper tools.

OLDxR

Attachments

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oldxr, thanks for the comment. But I think you missed my point. I am not wanting to remove the bed cover. I am interested in comments about removing the carpet attached to the bed cover. Sorry for the mix up.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put mine on both of the Rs using two sided tape and some epoxy. They have been on for 7 years now. This is the only photo I could find.
Really!! That's awesome. Can you share a little more detailed info about what exactly you did?

Thanks, wizzr.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,442 Posts
I used car putty knives, popped about half of the push pins and allowed the carpet under the cover to sag down. Then carefully measured (and remeasured!) before drilling any holes. Mine required longer stainless screws than it came with. Don't forget to add a sealant like silicone caulk around the holes so it doesn't leak later. Only broke one push pin in the process. It's seems to hold up just fine without it. (And remeasured!)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I would do it on a hot day so the push pins will be a little more forgiving. Leave it sitting out in direct sun for a while before I started working on the pins. GM is really proud of those pins.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Bed Cover Carpet Removal and Reinstallation

Removal and reinstallation of the cargo area cover carpeting can be done with the lid on the truck- you’ll just be doing the work on your back lying in the bed and having to support the carpet as you remove/reinstall it (or have an extra set of hands available to assist). Given the choice of removing the lid or leaving it on to do this job, I’d prefer removing it and laying it flat on a padded work surface. Reinstallation of the carpet is also easier working downhand when installing the panel fasteners.
After unscrewing the bed cover light connector, there are approximately 18 of the barbed plastic panel fasteners that need to be pried out using a plastic trim removal tool. The fasteners are stubborn and you need to be patient not to damage (crush) the carpet backing when you pry against it as leverage when removing those panel fasteners. I’ve also used a pair of cutting pliers to cut the heads off in lieu of prying them out. Don’t plan on reusing these fasteners since many will be destroyed during removal. Replacements (less the flocking on the heads) can be purchased at an auto parts store like NAPA.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oooo. I hate those barbed plastic fasteners. I have the worst luck removing them without breaking them. Why did GM have to scrimp on cost and not put in some nice screws? Oh well, it is what it is.

Gotta say, I'm intrigued by LITEMUP's idea of a good double sided 3M sticky tape idea. Especially now that it warm. Measure it twice, stick once, put a few sand bags on it to apply pressure and let it bake in the sun for a few hours to cure.

Hey... if it doesn't hold I can always go back and drill holes!

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Wizzr....I guess I did not understand why you need to remove the carpet? Are you running a third brake light? Most of the spoilers sit back close to the tailgate so I assumed there would be no reason to remove the carpet. I hate those plastic retainers and usually breake them as well. Perhaps just taking down the area you would drill into?

Dane

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oldxr, you're right. it sounds like I don't need to fully remove the carpet, but undo the back part and just let it sag down a bit. I just wasn't sure what the best way to go about removing those nasty barbed retainers was. But I gotta say, I'm warming up to the concept of using the super double sided tape.

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Remember those barbed retainers(without fuzzy heads) are cheap and readily available. It's a good idea to keep an assortment on hand.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Remember those barbed retainers(without fuzzy heads) are cheap and readily available. It's a good idea to keep an assortment on hand.
You can also switch to the push rivets over the push pins. The push rivets allow you to pull the center pin out to allow easier removal of the part. I keep a bunch of the rivets around to use to hold stuff in place while I trial fit stuff then if I am good with it I will go ahead and use the push pens. To be perfectly honest most of the time I just end up leaving the rivets in place because I can always come up with a reason to go back and take something apart again. I grab the push rivets at the Ace Hardware store right by my house. They send me coupons all the time for so much off when you spend so much. If I am short to meet the minimum purchase I head to the bolt aisle and grab some of the plastic push rivets.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,446 Posts
I have talked with Cleve about using the double sided tape and a bit of expoy for good measure also. Waiting to get my spoiler painted and mounted using the double sided tape.
Hope it all goes well! Trying to get it perfect takes plenty of patience and remeasuring! ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts