Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was always taught that no question is a stupid one but this might challenge that thought!! I just finished putting the carpet kit in the bed of what was my Tupperware 06 FPR Blk/Silver.
The installation went very well and it looks great. My problem is I can’t seem to find the wiring harness for the light in the bed cover. I thought it was in the left rear quarter panel of the truck but I’ve looked all over and can’t seem to find it.

So help is needed. It’s just kind of frustrating. I’m pretty sure it’s on the truck somewhere. Appreciate any help.

Thanks
John

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
I was always taught that no question is a stupid one but this might challenge that thought!! I just finished putting the carpet kit in the bed of what was my Tupperware 06 FPR Blk/Silver.
The installation went very well and it looks great. My problem is I can’t seem to find the wiring harness for the light in the bed cover. I thought it was in the left rear quarter panel of the truck but I’ve looked all over and can’t seem to find it.

So help is needed. It’s just kind of frustrating. I’m pretty sure it’s on the truck somewhere. Appreciate any help.

Thanks
John

Thanks
John
:rolleyes:
I'm not thinking your question is a stupid one. In fact, I hope you get a very detailed series of answers. When I got my 2005, the wiring was (and still is) just hanging from the cargo lid light as a wiring loom.
My ride is also fully carpeted in the cargo area and I know the damn other end of where that loom must go is in the general area of the forward left side of cargo lid.

There are no switches and/or anything else exposed in that area on mine. I assume original source of the "hookup" must have been left behind that carpeting.

I will follow your post with personal interest in the answers.;)

·
Premium Member
9,359 Posts
All I remember from previous posts is it's a 15 amp fuse for a 1 amp bulb... replace fuse for sure with one designed for the load

·
Tech Support/Research
1,599 Posts
The SSRs originally equipped with the plastic bed liner and no carpet and no cargo cover light used a different wiring harness than those with the factory installed carpet kit. The chassis harness connector at the frame is the same for all trucks but that harness that runs from the lower left rear of the chassis into the bed on trucks equipped with the factory installed carpet kit contains additional wiring for the cargo cover light. You could use your existing harness for its connections to the bed hinge and fabricate/add wiring and connectors for the bed light if you cannot find a complete harness from a truck originally equipped with the carpet kit.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I had to find a wire harness for mine as well. Got one from Wild Bill's for $150 plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
When you order Carpet Kit, light harness should be with it. You are missing harness goes from hinge, drivers side along frame rail to rear Bed Release Module.

Did one before. It's a pain!

Dicktator
:rolleyes:
I'm understanding the fuse and potential fire issue given a "stock" setup. Frankly, I'm not really missing the fact I don't have a (cargo lid light). Kinda thought about yanking the left side carpeting off to understand what is or is not there to complete the lid light hookup........but your comments about the (pain) and/or WTF need for picture #5 has me thinking why would I go thru the grief......:oops:

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the input. What I realize now is that I do need the harness if I want/need the light to work. It’s been many moons ago that I bought the carpet kit and Lord knows too much water has flowed through my empty head but I thought the harness was just “there” for the kit if needed. Wrong.
So given it’s a “pain” for Dictator, it would be a miracle for me to accomplish the task. Plus I have other toy parts to spend $150 on.
Thanks again for all of the help. At least the bed looks nicer now. IMO. If anyone needs a plastic bed liner and is traveling through Kansas, let me know.

John

·
Tech Support/Research
1,599 Posts
You can also consider using a tilt switch with a fused connection to a 12 volt power source to provide light in the cargo area in lieu of trying to rewire and connect the existing light- was done like that for many years on older vehicles.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
The harness plugs into the box under the bumper on the drivers side. I did mine when I converted it from Tupper Ware to carpet and I tapped a long piece of wire to the end that plugged into the box in the back and pulled it through to the front drivers side. When I got the wire through I then switched the taped wire over tot he new harness and pulled it back to the rear. The hardest part for me was getting the bolts out to open the box and then I had to loosen the bolts that hold the box in place to get the plug through the hole. I pulled my drivers side inner fender out and laid on my back to get up at it and it was not easy.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Let me correct my above post. The harness plugs in out side of the box but the box is in the way to get the harness pulled past it. You have to loosen the black box to get the harness plug past it. That is not easy to do, but if you take your time, hold your tongue just right and fold your arm in ways its not meant to bend you can do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts