Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Sling Shot Yellow 2004
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading many helpful videos in this forum I have discovered that my bed cover actuator is stuck fully extended. I can't seem to find any detailed info on how to get it out. I thought I read that you didn't need to take the entire box out to do that, but that doesn't seem possible! Are there pictures or good descriptions on how to do this?

Help please!

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Check the manual release left rear and make sure the cable is returning all the way. You can hear the actuator release as you pull it and reset when it returns. Make sure to pull down on the cable handle and not side ways because that can cause the kink.

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,366 Posts
Go to my free SSR How to Library: Look up BED RELEASE ACTUATOR

New folder - OneDrive (live.com)

Actuator is power OUT, clock spring BACK. Spring gets weak plus shaft is made of "plastic" and doesn't slide well over time. Spray with DW Silicone, (not oil). May start to work again. If not V/W actuator part# on Library.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,197 Posts
@Chuckalucky, More ideas will come along, meantime--Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Then go to the "New Member Section" and introduce yourself. New Member Section

Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
Sling Shot Yellow 2004
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go to my free SSR How to Library: Look up BED RELEASE ACTUATOR

New folder - OneDrive (live.com)

Actuator is power OUT, clock spring BACK. Spring gets weak plus shaft is made of "plastic" and doesn't slide well over time. Spray with DW Silicone, (not oil). May start to work again. If not V/W actuator part# on Library.

Dicktator
Hi Dictator. I just got done fixing my sift cable with your $20 repair. First trip out I have this problem. The only thing I have accomplished so far is knocking the white cap cap off the rod. I can't figure out how to get the assy. out, especially leaving the box in the car like I read some where on here.

·
Registered
Sling Shot Yellow 2004
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Chuckalucky, More ideas will come along, meantime--Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Then go to the "New Member Section" and introduce yourself. New Member Section

Nick & Kathy
I should be all fixed up. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
Sling Shot Yellow 2004
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anybody tell me how to get bed cover actuator box off. I definitely need to get actuator out. The plunger is stuck out. I have no room to work with in the truck. The pictures I've seen look nice but the box itself is not in the truck. door only opens a quarter of the way.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
10,010 Posts
Can anybody tell me how to get bed cover actuator box off. I definitely need to get actuator out. The plunger is stuck out. I have no room to work with in the truck. The pictures I've seen look nice but the box itself is not in the truck. door only opens a quarter of the way.
Bookmark this

SSR How-To Library

·
Registered
Sling Shot Yellow 2004
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would anyone like to recommend a site for digital service manual downloads? I'm running a MAC.

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,366 Posts
You can Google SSR How to Library and then down load.

Here ONE center screw removes whole bed cover panel/box.

Squeeze release cable, do not move adjustment.

Remove connector

After you remove center screw, turn over and remove screws that hold actuator to plate.

Cover has half hinge, just lift off.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Registered
Sling Shot Yellow 2004
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Dicktataor. Read somewhere on here the lid was hinged. I didn't think it came all the way off! I couldn't get my hand in there much less tools. I had figured that one screw. Seeing it and getting a screw driver in there was not possible.

·
Registered
Sling Shot Yellow 2004
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can anyone tell me what kind of screw holds the plate to the box?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,403 Posts
Can anyone tell me what kind of screw holds the plate to the box?
The plate is held to the box with a small Phillips screw in the center. It takes a #1 Phillips to unscrew it. This can only be accomplished after the box is removed from the vehicle. There are three M6-1.0 Torx screws holding the box onto the frame of the truck. The screws go through the plate and the box to mount the assembly to the frame rail. It takes a T-30 to unscrew the Torx fasteners.

Mike

·
Registered
Sling Shot Yellow 2004
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mike. Thanks for your help. There seems to be some misleading posts on here for replacing the actuator. I followed your instructions and it was easy peezy ( well except for cramping hands ) ! Thanks again for posting the screw info, saved me a lot of trial and error. Sure is tight in there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts