Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI Ed & Group,

When I use the remote trunk button to open my bed cover it just bearly opens. Can you tell me if my bed cover should lift all the way up? Mine only goes up about 1/2 inch or less... and I have to be careful in how I grab it and pull it up.

I would think the cover should pop all the way up or at least a few inches... any thoughts??

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Marc NY said:
HI Ed & Group,

When I use the remote trunk button to open my bed cover it just bearly opens. Can you tell me if my bed cover should lift all the way up? Mine only goes up about 1/2 inch or less... and I have to be careful in how I grab it and pull it up.

I would think the cover should pop all the way up or at least a few inches... any thoughts??
Marc, Sounds like you have some bad lift struts. Mine opens 18-19 in. every time

·
Registered
83 Posts
Air Tight!

I noticed something on my SSR. The Cargo Cover will open by itself if the Tailgate is open. It must be because it is airtight with the Tailgate closed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My experience

Marc,

In February, when I first got my SSR, the cargo cover (is this the same thing others call tonneau?) often needed help to open. I have put rubber conditioner on the seals each time I clean it and the weather is now much warmer. It opens all the way every time, now. I'm not sure what fixed it, but I am patiently waiting for winter to see if the problem returns. It seems like these gas struts often work best when warm and on other vehicles I have replaced them after 4 to 6 years. I guess the gas pressure diminishes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
rhobbel said:
Marc, Sounds like you have some bad lift struts. Mine opens 18-19 in. every time
My SSR cover opens all the way only when it's warm out.. Don't think there is a need to improve on it, it lifts enough to use a finger, but looks cool when it goes up on it's own...

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
houtex said:
Mine jumps all the way up all the time - must be the heat in Texas. And let's have no hot air jokes please.
Gosh darn it, I wish mine jumped up all the way all the time too... dang it! ;)

side bar: I have heard things are bigger in TEXAS... is that true?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine only pops about 2 or 3 inches :eek

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
But if it jumps up and stays up more than 4 hours, you're supposed to call a doctor

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Call the Doctor

Maybe I need to call the doctor! I just checked mine again and it still only goes up 1/2 inch! Dang it... I should have known that up north things don't rise as much in the COOLER weather!!

PS I guess I need to go south to keep it warmer...

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Niagara

Me thinks Marc needs some "Niagara" for his strut..... the good stuff they have in Western NY....

:party

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
On a more serious note, mine (my SSR's tonneau) also only pops about 1/2", UNLESS there's a bit of a breeze - then it happily lifts fully.

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Flassh said:
On a more serious note, mine (my SSR's tonneau) also only pops about 1/2", UNLESS there's a bit of a breeze - then it happily lifts fully.
Are you then suggesting... one must blow on it to get it to lift more fully??? :confused :yesnod

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
Seems to work elsewhere - why not for a tonneau?
:jester

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Tonneau Cover

:banghead Back when automobiles were automobiles and trucks were trucks. The cover that went over the convertible top when the top was down was called the tonneau cover according to a car historian I talked to. When I had my SSR in for hinge replacement on the tonneau cover my service rep agreed with this terminoligy and so does GM!
Scott 0168

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
It is confusing - the brochure calls the back end thing a cargo area cover. So I guess we can call the flipper lid thingy a tonneau.

Except if it was a boat, the hood would be called a tonneau cover - that's what the vinyl snap-on piece over the bow section is called in marine-speak - go figure. :confused

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I can use a breeze too...

WOW! I never thought that a bed cover would ever experience being very happy... but then I know if that were to happen to mine I know for sure that I would be more than just VERY HAPPY! ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts