Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a beefed up rear frame brace last week. Took some 1 1/4, 1/8 wall tube and welded it together. Transferred the holes, painted it and even drove some plastic plugs in the end. It is heavy duty. Have not drove truck yet to see if there is any difference from the trailblazer brace. Here is a comparison pic. Damn computer turns them sideways. D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Might I suggest you run some black silicone across the spots that are not welded to keep the water from getting down in between the sections not welded. Just an idea.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,370 Posts
OFG, you appear to be very handy as a welder!! - :smile2:

2018-10-23-18-01-30--625995118.jpeg

Have you made any comparisions with the 4-bolt crossmember that Mike (SE) offers? Nice piece.

===============
David :black:
saguaro-silhouetten-sonoran-desert-sunset-260nw-73669441.jpeg

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,393 Posts
That'll Work!!!!

Nick

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
44,562 Posts
Looks great that should do the job !!!!!!!

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Very long

Not sure where you are placing these on the frame. Can you provide more info on where you are mounting these? Thanks and YES great job and idea for other "Do it yourselfers" :grin2:

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
It replaces the single round tube across the frame rails about under the seats.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Thanks

Not sure where you are placing these on the frame. Can you provide more info on where you are mounting these? Thanks and YES great job and idea for other "Do it yourselfers" :grin2:
Thanks Bruce for the reply to my question, I also see where AZ Mike has also commented. Boy when those are installed they should really stabilize those two frame rails.

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
I made a beefed up rear frame brace last week. Took some 1 1/4, 1/8 wall tube and welded it together. Transferred the holes, painted it and even drove some plastic plugs in the end. It is heavy duty. Have not drove truck yet to see if there is any difference from the trailblazer brace. Here is a comparison pic. Damn computer turns them sideways. D
The solid crossmember in your photo is from a Trailblazer, and is already a significant upgrade over the stock single tube on the SSR.

As others have indicated, Simple Engineering also supplies a four bolt solid crossmember, which is an upgrade over the TB piece.

Link to a comparison of the three pieces.

https://shop.simple-engineering.com/product.sc?productId=115&categoryId=17

Nice job on yours. Looks like it would be really solid.

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, my ssr already had the trailblazer bar on it. I just made a beefier one cause I had some tubing layin around. You can see the difference in one of the pics. Yes simple engineering sells a great bar upgrade, another very beefy one. D

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Thanks Bruce for the reply to my question, I also see where AZ Mike has also commented. Boy when those are installed they should really stabilize those two frame rails.
I found it was a big improvement in cowl shake over things like train tracks.

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am gonna tackle the front X brace under the engine next. It is that wimpy thin wall tubing with smashed ends! That sure cant provide much help for flex up front. Will post pics. D

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,398 Posts
I am gonna tackle the front X brace under the engine next. It is that wimpy thin wall tubing with smashed ends! That sure cant provide much help for flex up front. Will post pics. D
If you enjoy the design process then have at it but, if you just want the product check out what Mike in AZ has in his Web-store at www.simple-engineering.com (Link corrected 10/25/18 6:22 PM PDT)

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
If you enjoy the design process then have at it but, if you just want the product check out what Mike in AZ has in his Web-store at www.simple-engineerin,com
Left Coast 32 has engineered a chrome moly crossmember set that allows the use of a C6 oil pan, instead of the silly front sump stock sump..

LC32 engineered its crossmember to work with the front stiffener plate from Simple Engineering. Great folks to have in your corner - especially for those of us without the talent and equipment to cut and weld.

They are the last two items in this section. Front end alignment is necessary after installing the LC32 setup.

https://shop.simple-engineering.com/category.sc?categoryId=17

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts