Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving down the road, accelerated to pass a car and had catastrophic transmission failure. The transmission fluid fell on the exhaust system and caught fire. Within five minutes, my SSR went from before to after.

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
Hope you are OK...

Wow! I can't believe it went up in flames that fast! Hope you were able to get out quickly. This is the second one catching fire that has been posted on this forum...wonder if it was the same issue w/the other?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
That is so awful

OH my gosh, I feel sick. You had the most beautiful truck. Thank God that you got out OK. The SSR can be replaced, but you must be devastated. I am so sorry for your catastrophe.... Hope warranty and insurance come through for you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
bass656 said:
Driving down the road, accelerated to pass a car and had catastrophic transmission failure. The transmission fluid fell on the exhaust system and caught fire. Within five minutes, my SSR went from before to after.

:eek :eek :eek :(

·
Registered
893 Posts
SSR Fire

In years of owning and driving muscle cars , street rods, ect........fire prevention is always needed.......and this proves it.......it can be worth the price of the fire bottle. When I sold my last 5 street rods a year and a half ago ....they were all delievered with fire bottles.........And this proves I need one for Baby. A small investment , to save a big one, don't ya think?SO VERY SORRY TO SEE SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPEN

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Bet you were glad that your drivers side door was working.

GM had better get there A-s in gear and figure out why the interior door handles are breaking. Had mine replaced this past Wednesday. This evening tried to get out and had to lower the window again.

Shame on GM.

bcbear

·
Registered
216 Posts
BcBear, I'd give em 3 tries, and then sell it back to em. Enough do that, they WILL fix this stuff.

Catastrophic tranny failure...mine is going in next week for intermittent shift issue between 1st and 2nd (AND the door repair)...Bass, did yours have that problem too? What year was it?

·
Registered
254 Posts
You didn't say, but r u OK?

That makes me sick to see that! I am so sorry for you.
Had you done any mods to the drive-train? Any idea at all why the tranny cratered? :confused

·
Registered
178 Posts
bcbear10 said:
Sorry for your loss. Bet you were glad that your drivers side door was working.

GM had better get there A-s in gear and figure out why the interior door handles are breaking. Had mine replaced this past Wednesday. This evening tried to get out and had to lower the window again.

Shame on GM.

bcbear
bear,

are you aware of how many inside drivers door handles are broken or have failed? would be interested in knowing how many of you have had the inside door handle problem.

Coz

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Fires, broken handles, overheating . . . what's next ?

Coz said:
bear,

are you aware of how many inside drivers door handles are broken or have failed? would be interested in knowing how many of you have had the inside door handle problem.

Coz
Just got my driver's side inside door handle fixed last Thursday (waited 3 months for the part ?)

Terry (can't think of his screen name) introduced me to this site and had the same thing happen on his. Had to do it twice also ! !

When the service rep was rushed setting up my appointment last Thursday to replace the handle, I chided, "Don't worry about it. This is only a practice run anyway. You'll be doing it again. I"m told it takes 2 or 3 times to get it right". :rolleyes: (she didn't find that very humorous)

Sorry about the fire, bass. As another has posted, SSR can be replaced, you can't. Glad you're alright.

Gary (WearyEagle)

W

·
0 Posts
When I saw those pictures...

...the first words that popped into my head were, Oh, no! I hope he's ok! It sounds like you are, but, as many have said, you must be sick over this.

I hope they replace your SSR...and find root causes for these awful problems!

Were there any warning signs we should be looking for?

wipurplechick
"If I must get wrinkles, please let them be laugh lines!"

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My buddy and I are both fine, no problems at all as we were about 30-40 yards away as it went up in flames. When the transmission failed, the sound was like a shotgun discharging inside the car, scared the hell out of me, with a large stream of white smoke out the rear. Coasted to the next exit off of the highway and pulled to the shoulder on the ramp and got out so I could figure out what happened, as I was examining the trail of fluid on the ground behind my car, my buddy looks under the car and sees some flames, went from a little flame to a big flame in a hurry. It is an interesting way to discover just how much plastic there is on an SSR, as anything that was plastic just melted away. I am going to stay away from any other details until I get things settled with my insurance company, but thanks for your kind thoughts as I am still nursing the hangover from going out and drowning my sorrows :)

Bill Brooks

·
Registered
904 Posts
Sorry for your loss, Gald you are ok, The transmissions run way to hot and the 4L60 and 4L65's are nothing but a joke, Mine went out at 7,000 miles, I went to a builder that knows what the SSR needs, It will cost me $2600 but to me it will be worth it

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Digital said:
BcBear, I'd give em 3 tries, and then sell it back to em. Enough do that, they WILL fix this stuff.

Catastrophic tranny failure...mine is going in next week for intermittent shift issue between 1st and 2nd (AND the door repair)...Bass, did yours have that problem too? What year was it?

Digital,

Our trucks must have been talking to each other as they were being built since they are only 3 vin #'s apart. Will keep you trans problem in mind.

Can only imagine what else will go wrong. Thanks to the dealer the truck needs 5 days at the body shop for extensive repairs thanks to them being so stupid and careless.

To think I WAS in the process of ordering an 06 just incase this is the last year. Time to rethink that purchase and maybe wait for a good deal on a leftover 05.

bcbear

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Bill,

I will ditto the other comments about replacing your SSR, but not your life. Because you were typing on the thread, at least I felt you were OK from the start, but that had to have been a scary thing to watch happen.

Thank you for the warning regarding the tranny. I hope this was a fluke and you never have to worry about it again.

Also, here wishing you and your insurance company a swift resolution and get another SSR in your driveway as soon as possible.

Good luck............

·
Registered
893 Posts
Whats left??????

What is left.......what kind of shape is the truck in from the cab back.......need the pickup bed and fenders......to make a mold from.......for a trailer.......?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Bass: Sounds like she went up mighty quick! If you had a fire extiguisher, do you think you may have had time to put out the fire or was it just too fast? Your ride was so beautifully customized too! Good luck with the insurance. Hope it works out in your favor. I would be just devastated. I had my transmission wiring harness replaced due to failure and the torque converter as well. :seeya

1 - 20 of 34 Posts