Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had Greg at Phoenix rebuild my transmission and install a 3000rpm STALL TORQUE CONVERTER. They installed a Master rebuild kit with all the clutches, steel rings, and gaskets and a heavy duty torque converter, also upgraded the transmission for the 150 extra horsepower incase I decide to install a MagnaCharger later.

I may not need that blower, before the truck would only chirp the tires from a standing start and then "ho hum" acceleration after that. NOW standing start, transmission in 3, remove foot from brake and punch it, 50 plus feet of twin black marks and sets you back in the seat to 60 mph!

I drove the truck 600 miles yesterday and could not be happier. The truck handled so much quicker in the Dallas/Fort Worth freeway traffic. It is like driving a different truck.

I bought an '04, loved the truck, but it was a cruiser, I traded for a '05, loved the truck but it was a cruiser, NOW it is what I wanted when I bought the truck.

When I talked to Greg I told him what I wanted, "Not going to the track but I want to lay rubber and impress the boys down at the service station". Boy did he give me what I asked for!

A sidelight, the truck has 68000 miles, driven for pleasure, punched once in a while but not driven aggressively, had the Corvette Servo, filter, fluid change at 30,000 miles. Greg told me that he did not think the truck would have made it back to Mississippi in the condition the transmission was in, that we would have been setting on the side of the road waiting for a flatbed. All the bands and drums were severely worn and the snap ring that holds the bellows was loose and the bellows was floating.

Thank you Greg!

Jack

One word description "WOW"!

·
BlueStreak
26,586 Posts
I had Greg at Phoenix rebuild my transmission and install a 3000rpm STALL TORQUE CONVERTER. They installed a Master rebuild kit with all the clutches, steel rings, and gaskets and a heavy duty torque converter, also upgraded the transmission for the 150 extra horsepower incase I decide to install a MagnaCharger later.

I may not need that blower, before the truck would only chirp the tires from a standing start and then "ho hum" acceleration after that. NOW standing start, transmission in 3, remove foot from brake and punch it, 50 plus feet of twin black marks and sets you back in the seat to 60 mph!

I drove the truck 600 miles yesterday and could not be happier. The truck handled so much quicker in the Dallas/Fort Worth freeway traffic. It is like driving a different truck.

I bought an '04, loved the truck, but it was a cruiser, I traded for a '05, loved the truck but it was a cruiser, NOW it is what I wanted when I bought the truck.

When I talked to Greg I told him what I wanted, "Not going to the track but I want to lay rubber and impress the boys down at the service station". Boy did he give me what I asked for!

A sidelight, the truck has 68000 miles, driven for pleasure, punched once in a while but not driven aggressively, had the Corvette Servo, filter, fluid change at 30,000 miles. Greg told me that he did not think the truck would have made it back to Mississippi in the condition the transmission was in, that we would have been setting on the side of the road waiting for a flatbed. All the bands and drums were severely worn and the snap ring that holds the bellows was loose and the bellows was floating.

Thank you Greg!

Jack

One word description "WOW"!
I guess you will be buying more tires now. >:)

·
Daily Driver
8,776 Posts
Greg is the top, the very best you can get. I missed the Texas rally because I wasn't going to settle for another rebuilt local piece of crap, but I'm not sorry I went first class, not for a minute. :thumbs

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Smoking!!!

NOW your truly a "Smoking" Asphalt Black SSR. LONG may you run with your tires smoking off the line. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Greg rebuilt my tranny too. It was his old R. Ran great until I kissed the center concrete divider on the highway. Even though it was not damaged too bad, just left front, insurance still totaled it. I still have it. I bought another '05. I just bought the Corvette servo to install in my new '05 from Greg. It still runs great though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Just goes to show, performance ain't all about horsepower and torque. Ya gotta hook them ponies up to the asphalt.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
We own a transmission shop in Utah and have since 1988 and have built hundreds of transmissions for race cars,so when I went to find a stall converter for my SSR and trailblazer SS I couldn’t find what I wanted for a reasonable price so I contacted Greg and he sent me two torque converters and I’ve never been happier! More than fair prices and fantastic quality! Plus the smile on my face every time I punch it.

·
Daily Driver
8,776 Posts
If you want to know how Greg builds and tests the torque convertors, go to the Phoenix Transmission site and read Doc Frohmader's description(GM Lockup Converters) of Greg's work.
There's even a picture of the rogue himself testing the finished product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
xoxoxoBruce
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing