Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way from Austin, Texas to Atlanta, Georgia, on the first leg of my epic road trip which will take me to MTI Racing in Atlanta for more mods to the SSR (Reese and the gana want to finish what they started!), then SSR Homecoming and The Woodward Dream Cruise, and then maybe even a job!

My slightly modified SSR is a real joy in highway lane changes at 70 to 75 mph, as the improved midrange torque makes the manouver fast without need for the automatic to downshift. With my 4.56 gearing, I am doing around 2500 to 2750 rpm at that speed.

I had just done one of those lane changes because a white SUV behind and to my left in the passing lane was sort of parked there not passing, and I was closing in on the car ahead of me.

I had no sooner done the deed, when that white SUV snapped on a set if blue lights, speeded up to catch me, and parked at 72 mph right behind my rear license plate! Sigh . . .

I wasn't speeding (ok, 72 in a 70, but come on . . .)

I pulled over and the nice officer asked for my license and insurance, telling me that I had failed to signal the lane change, and he knew I had working signals because I used them when pulling over!

But, he was fascinated with the SSR, pointing out that one of his friends had bought one just a couple of months ago (one of us on this board maybe? Who here lives in Alabama and has a RED SSR?). He started to ask a lot of questions, and I pointed out that he was incredibly lucky as he had just stopped the author of an SSR book-in-progress! I was able to answer all his questions, and even got in a recommendation that his friend find this website if he has not already done so.

He was already visibly hesitating on actually writing a ticket, and just needed a good official excuse (had likely radioed in my plate number during the stop, and so could not simply abandon the stop) when by incredible luck, a man RAN down the shoulder of the Interstate, across the median on the opposite side. I looked and so the officer looked, and he remarked as how "that boy seems in an awful hurry" (running at top speed when the temperature was VERY hot). I pointed out that he was defintiely not a jogger, as he was not wearing proper running shoes, and that maybe he was running seeking help for some reason, as running on an Interstate was very dangerous.

That clinched it! The officer said he really needed to let me go on my way so he could find out what was going on with the runner!

He focused on the runner, and I made a discrete exit (ok, as discrete as you can be when accelerating from zero to 70 with traffic coming up behind, with a modified true dual exhaust system :) ).

Jim G

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
You sweet talker, you

WAY TO GO JIM!!! :ssr hope I'm as lucky the FIRST time I get pulled over. Never got a ticket, but I can feel it coming :lol :lol :lol

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
72 in a 70? Jim, you REBEL you! :lol

Just an FYI..... In Georgia, most officers are limited to 10 + over the speed limit before they can stop you.

Hope to see you this week!

V

·
0 Posts
Banjo Music

When I lived in Texas, turn signals were a sign of weakness. Using them allowed the person in the lane you were approaching to speed up and cut you off, NASCAR fashion.

When I lived in Florida, I always got a creepy feeling running thru Appalachia. Burt Reynolds movie had something to do with that.

Glad to hear it worked out. I wonder if we can get an SSRFanatic business card dispenser as an accessory add-on.

Vaquero

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vaquero: That IS why I normally do NOT use turn signals on a lane change when there is a vehicle positoned to cut me off! :)

Buffy: Yes, when traveling I normally keep the speed to limit +3 mph, as normally a police officer won't stop you for that - except in Wisconsin, where years ago they had signs up that said "55 MEANS 55" and ticketed you at 56 ph!

When I do performance testing, I have to, uh, go a little faster, so then I pick my spots VERY carefully (except the time I accidentally picked one north of Atlanta that was within a few hundred yards of a state atrol shift change station! :) ), and try for the following:

- No homes or occupied buildings around (for safety)
- Little or no traffic (for safety)
- Lots of trees for cover and sound absorption
- Road that is posted for at LEAST 70 mph (to minimize the "mph over the limit" if caught - in some jurisdictions, if you exceed the limit by more than x mph, you go to jail!)
- Straight & level highway or, better, ramp
- WIDE road or ramp

Jim G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts