Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to Pushrods4ever for the clutch sping tip. I thought that I had forgotten how to drive a stick. Had trouble timing rpm's and clutch for smooth shifts. Not anymore! Took the spring off and what a difference. It's this kind of stuff that makes this such a great site!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I remember reading Pushrods4ever info about the clutch spring. Why is it there in the first place? It seems that everyone that took it off likes it better without it!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I like it better to. But have you tried your cruise control. Miine does not return enough to depress the cruise cut of switch. will try adjusting the return and or switch soon.

Jim

·
Registered
192 Posts
Gee, thanks guys for the Kudos. I found the tip on another Forum for the Corvette and found it did work and apply to our SSR's.

Peaches- The reasoning GM had for adding the spring was to decrease the leg effort to keep the clutch disengaged when in stop and go driving. Nice idea for some drivers, however for those of us that are used to driving sticks for a long time, it made the pedal feel non-linear, or even artificial.

topjimmy- I have not had the cruise switch problem with mine without the spring. I have seen other posts were folks have had the switch get out of adjustment however from normal use. I don't think the spring has anything to do with the switch adjustment for the cruise control as the pedal still should return all the way to the top. It could be the adjustment was on the edge in your case and getting down to remove the spring could have just budged it enough to put it out of adjustment and disable the cruise control.

;)

Doug

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cruise Control Switch

Pushrods4ever said:
Gee, thanks guys for the Kudos. I found the tip on another Forum for the Corvette and found it did work and apply to our SSR's.

Peaches- The reasoning GM had for adding the spring was to decrease the leg effort to keep the clutch disengaged when in stop and go driving. Nice idea for some drivers, however for those of us that are used to driving sticks for a long time, it made the pedal feel non-linear, or even artificial.

topjimmy- I have not had the cruise switch problem with mine without the spring. I have seen other posts were folks have had the switch get out of adjustment however from normal use. I don't think the spring has anything to do with the switch adjustment for the cruise control as the pedal still should return all the way to the top. It could be the adjustment was on the edge in your case and getting down to remove the spring could have just budged it enough to put it out of adjustment and disable the cruise control.

Doug
The cruise control switch IS involved with the spring removal. The arm attached to the pedal does not come quite far enough to depress the plunger switch completely and you will get an intermitent on and off cruise. Adjust the switch and add 1/4" of foam tape to the pad which contacts the plunger switch and you are home free.

The removal of the dumb little spring is well worth the adjustment of the cruise control switch.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just rechecked the cruise switch adjustment on mine and the switch is fully depressed with the clutch pedal at rest. My spring has been off for quite awhile now. I did notice a soft pad on the actuator part of the clutch arm for the switch. Looks like the pad has slipped a little due to the adhesive being soft. I wonder if some of the adjustment problems that others have had is due to the pad being gone all together? Anyway the spring removal on mine did not change my Cruise switch adjustment at all.

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts