Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Belltech drop kit for my 05 from Summit racing while they had their Black Friday sale. Part number for it is BEL-796SP the sale price was 345.56 plus they had another $25 off deal so total to me was $320.56 with free shipping. It was sipped from Belltech and got to me in about a week but keep in mind there was the Thanksgiving Holiday in there to slow things down. It came in one box for the shocks and springs and my UPS driver helper wasn't real happy. She struggled a little with the 50 pound box.
My first impressions out of the box are nothing out f the ordinary the shocks look like a powder coated finish to them, Welds are nice but they are machine welded so this is to be expected. The front shocks don't come with new spring insulator or shock bellow. The spring insulator is to keep the spring from rubbing on the spring base and making noise and wearing the steel base from the steel spring. The shock bellow is to keep dirt and grime off the shock and the stop is also part of it. They recommend you take these off the old shock and reuse on the new ones. I have my shocks off the truck from when I lowered it the first time and put new shocks on it at that time. I just brought one in and looked at it. The old bellow is broken and the rubber insulator is in rough shape as well so it looks like I will be placing the order this morning with Rock Auto.

The rubber insulator I am using is a Moog Part# K160112 price is $8.82 each. The bellow is also a Moog part # K160285, price is 16.32 each. So after shipping and their usual 5% discount the total is $54.76. Well this will put off doing the front this weekend but I may go a head and do the rear springs and shocks and see how it looks with that done. Stay tuned.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,539 Posts
Unless you have it torn apart already it would be nice to have some height measurements both before and after. Front air dam, running boards, rear fascia would be nice. Bought mine used 5 years ago and it is very low. Don't know if it was ever lowered or not. Some driveways and street entrances almost drags so I enter or exit at an angle. Don't think I would want to lower it. Don't know what the stock heights were. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Thanks for the info Bruce, I put mine on hold. My son can get it for same price. Going to get new seat skins and interior mods first. Keep updated coming.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will do some comparable pictures between my 04 stock height and the 05 lowered. The 05 right now is lowered in the front with the Eibach springs but the rear is stock height still. I will do a front to front and rear to rear picture of them to give a good view and also measure some points on both trucks. If there is anything anyone wants to see or know about ask and I will try to get pictures or give more details on it. Pictures coming tomorrow.

·
SSR Believer
1,233 Posts
Like @Auggie Doggie said, measurements would be appreciated, along with @wizzr's recommendation for photos too. The previous owner added Eibach Pro-Truck Lowering Springs all around on ours and it looks good, but other than eyeballing other Rs I don't have any "stock" reference points. He also added airbags in the back so I can raise and lower the rear end if I have a heavy load. Ha! Heavy load. Who am I kidding?! :LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
I will do some comparable pictures between my 04 stock height and the 05 lowered. The 05 right now is lowered in the front with the Eibach springs but the rear is stock height still. I will do a front to front and rear to rear picture of them to give a good view and also measure some points on both trucks. If there is anything anyone wants to see or know about ask and I will try to get pictures or give more details on it. Pictures coming tomorrow.
:rolleyes:
A good basis for comparing (before/after) is to measure from the ground to top of fender wheel well opening centered on the tire/wheel.

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,529 Posts
I have Eibach's in my Black Truck and after the lowering installation it measured 29 1/4" from the ground to the bottom of the fender measuring precisely thru the center of the wheel with stock wheels/tires. It looks perfect IMO. I was told that the Belltech's actually make it too low and that a spacer has to be added? Would be interested in knowing what the Belltech's measure after installation without the spacer?

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
I have Eibach's in my Black Truck and after the lowering installation it measured 29 1/4" from the ground to the bottom of the fender measuring precisely thru the center of the wheel with stock wheels/tires. It looks perfect IMO. I was told that the Belltech's actually make it too low and that a spacer has to be added? Would be interested in knowing what the Belltech's measure after installation without the spacer?
:rolleyes:
Measured the same way, my (front) left is 26.5" and (rear) left is 28.25". Both measurements on right hand side are 0.25" higher......That difference is not really noticeable and I like the slight "rake" and overall stance.:)

·
SSR Believer
1,233 Posts
Using that method, ours measures 28.5” at both the front and the rear fenders. Tires are not stock sizes though. 295/40ZR20 on the rear and 245/45ZR19 on the front.

The ride and handling is still quite nice IMHO. It‘s a little bouncy in the back if I fill the air bags. That’s to be expected since there’s not much in the bed other than emergency parts, an electric air compressor jack and the all-important assortment of cleaning and shining products In the saddle bags. ?

Does anyone know what the actual stock measurements are using @240 Gordy‘s method?

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Using that method, ours measures 28.5” at both the front and the rear fenders. Tires are not stock sizes though. 295/40ZR20 on the rear and 245/45ZR19 on the front.

The ride and handling is still quite nice IMHO. It‘s a little bouncy in the back if I fill the air bags. That’s to be expected since there’s not much in the bed other than emergency parts, an electric air compressor jack and the all-important assortment of cleaning and shining products In the saddle bags. ?

Does anyone know what the actual stock measurements are using @240 Gordy‘s method?
(y) :rolleyes:

"Does anyone know what the actual stock measurements are using @240 Gordy‘s method? "

All ya need is a copy of the book (THE SSR EXPERIENCE) by James Gnitecki. On page 121, he covers how to tell if your SSR has been lowered. (Using the same prescribed method).

Stock front = 29"
Stock rear = 31"

This makes mine lowered by 2.5" in the front and lowered by 2.75" in the rear. My tire sizes are 255/40 ZR 19 front and 315/35 ZR20 rear:).

·
SSR Believer
1,233 Posts
(y) :rolleyes:

"Does anyone know what the actual stock measurements are using @240 Gordy‘s method? "

All ya need is a copy of the book (THE SSR EXPERIENCE) by James Gnitecki. On page 121, he covers how to tell if your SSR has been lowered. (Using the same prescribed method).

Stock front = 29"
Stock rear = 31"

This makes mine lowered by 2.5" in the front and lowered by 2.75" in the rear. My tire sizes are 255/40 ZR 19 front and 315/35 ZR20 rear:).
Well, how cool is that?! :cool: (y) Sent Jim a PM.

Link in case anyone needs it:

EDIT: Already heard back from Jim. He's still selling his eBook, but is now living in Canada, so the purchase process is a little different. Send him a PM (conversation) and he'll give you the details. Easy-peasy. (y)

@Stlhotrod, apologies for hijacking your thread. :) Now back to our program already in progress.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I did get time and measure both my 04 and 05
the 04 is stock with nothing changed.
The front Bowtie at the bottom is 22 7/8 inches
Front wheel well openings at the center of the wheel are DS28 3/4 PS 28 3/4 Front average is 28 3/4
Rear Wheel well opening at center are DS 30 1/4 PS 29 3/4 Rear average is 30

My 05 has the front lowered with Eibach Springs
The front Bowtie bottom is 22 1/4
Front wheel wells DS 28 PS 27 1/2 Front average is 27 3/4
Rear wheel wells DR30 1/4 PS 30 1/2 Rear average is 30 1/4

So the front is about an inch lower and about 1/4 higher in the rear maybe because of the rake.
The 05 has boards on it and looks a lot lower than the 04 when looking at them from the side

I took my measurements on our road which is asphalt and not the most level place on earth.

nosetonose.jpg

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,539 Posts
I just measured mine and as far as I know it is a stock 2005.
To bottom of Bowtie 23 1/2 inches
RF wheel well top 28 3/4 inches
RR wheel well top 30 3/4 inches
LF wheel well top 28 3/4 inches
LR wheel well top 30 1/2 inches

Pretty level overall.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I finally got the rest of my parts in today so I assembled my front shocks. I was waiting on the front insulators and bellows. I use a pair of Sears Spring compressors to pull down the original springs. I have used this set up on my SSR and other vehicles as well and my one suggestion is to make sure and spray a little lubricant on the threads.

Once the spring is compressed you can remove the top mount then remove the shock from the spring. These shocks are what was on it when I got it and by the looks they have been replaced once and needed to be replaced again. I had actually replaced these with a new set of Bilsteins with Eibach springs to lower the truck about an inch. I had saved these from the first rebuild and am glad I did because the springs are needed for this set up. I wanted to go a little lower so that's why I am now swapping the Belltechs in. The Belltech has steel ring spacers you can stack on the lower spring mount to raise the lower spring mount by as much as 2 inches. I am putting mine in with no spacers.

The first thing is the lower spring mount, then the rubber insulator, the spring, the bellow and bump stop, then the upper mount. The top of the shock has a hex opening in it to hold the shock shaft while you are tightening the top bolt. I spray a little lube on the threads first then run the bolt down as far as I can by finger tight. I tighten the bolt until I have the bolt below the end where I can spin another bolt on the shaft. I keep that bolt there to help give the shaft strength with the allen wrench in place. With out it if there is any problem the allen wrench can spread out the end and then you have no way to hold the shaft while you tighten it up. I showed it in the picture but did not have the bolt that is used to tighten the top mount in this pic. You should be able to get the idea. Also if I was thinking of testing the height and worried about changing things I would have went with a pair of standard bolts with a lock washer between them instead of the nylock nut until I decided what spacer I was going to go with. The two nuts with the lock washer in between would have been easier to loosen for taking it apart.

Also when you are tightening and loosening the spring compressor do it in even amounts of turns. I do about 8 half turns on one side then go to the other side.

When I tore down the passengers side the top mount was wiped out and had been a problem when I got the truck which was the reason I started in on the front end upgrade.

I also have a picture of the lower shock mount that GM calls the yoke. An important thing to take note of is the inside of the upper part where it slides on the lower end of the shock. They can get rust inside of them around the middle where the shock has the groove for the bolt to secure it in place. I haven't cleaned this one yet but I will get all the rust out and shoot a coat of paint in there before I put it all back together. I also will mark the groove on the shock with a magic marker in red so I can make sure I have it in the center for the bolt to slide through.

My one complaint about this kit so far is they don't include a new bolt for the shock yoke on the lower end of the shock. When I got the Bilsteins they came with a new bolt and it is a special shank on the bolt. The shank slides through to keep the shock from moving out of the yoke as well as the bolt clamps down on the yolk to tighten it around the end of the shock.

The shock yoke will get wire brushed and painted before it all goes together also. The weather is terrible here so it will be a while before I get to mount the shocks and get any more done. The easiest way to get to the shocks and upper bolts are to remove the inner fender wells and with it being so cold I would just end up breaking all of the pins so I will wait for a little warmer weather. Stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
nice write up, enjoyed pics

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,905 Posts
Hey @Stlhotrod,

I’m a little confused.......

From the pictures you have posted, all the attributes of the shocks you are removing appear to be some brand other than Bilstein and are definitely not the OEM shocks. Also, the spring in the picture appears to be an aftermarket unit that is painted semi-gloss black. Eibach has been using a metallic dark silver (grey metallic) since 2006 on the SSR springs and they always have their logo with part number silkscreened onto the spring winding about 1/3 of the way down the coil stack.

Do you know where these came from?

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Mike
These are the shocks off my 05. Now that you say this, you are correct that they would have been replaced. They had the blue sleeves on them which was what I was relating to the Bilsteins. There wasn't a name on the shocks that I could see. But now that I think about it they would have had a yellow body. The springs are black powder coated and not Eibachs. I had replaced these with a new set of Bilsteins ( that I got from you) and the Eibach springs. Those are still on the truck and these are what had come off it when I did the first go around on it. I just want it lower, so this way it should be 2" lowered over the 1" the Eibach springs gave me. I will edit the post to correct the error thanks for spotting that.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I grabbed one of the old shocks from the trash and checked it looks like they are KYB shocks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts