Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a cordless 3/8" right angle impact... Been looking at the Milwaukee... What cha got?

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,179 Posts
Hmmmmm, this will be interesting. I wondered the same thing, it's on my Santa list. I was leanging towards Kobalt.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
get the one with the most voltage

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
965 Posts
I’ve got Dewalt 20v 1/4” impact and 1/2” impacts and like them very much. The 1/2” is a beast and was on sale a while back and I couldn’t pass it up. As you recall the Dewalt light sits nicely inside the door, which is useful when changing the latches. ;)

I was briefly drooling over their 3/8 impact at HD the other night, but my toolbox is overflowing (which is something else I was drooling over).

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
Take a look at the "Fuel" series from Milwaukee, they're light and powerful - many professional mechanics swear by them! I've only had mine 6 months, but it exceeds expectations so far.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The Milwaukee stuff is nice. One thing to look at is the charger. I have the 1/2" impact that uses a larger battery and also have a 3/8 ratchet and it takes the smaller battery. The impact charger will charge both style battery the ratchet charger only does the small battery.
I have DeWalt tools also and all of that stiff is the 18 volt batteries. I have the impact 1/2", grinder, saws and drills.

Between the impacts the Milwaukee is a little smaller and more balanced and seems to have more torque and power. I will probably get the 3/8 impact this year as well in the fuel line up.

Home Depot has some good deals on the Milwaukee tools with bonus stuff like either extra tools or batteries. If you have a Rural Kings check them or go on line they have good deals on both Milwaukee and DeWalt.

Oh and I also have a Milwaukee heated jacket that uses the battery from my ratchet. Yeah I know who needs a heated jacket. Well let's just say it is nice to turn it on when you want it and off when you don't need it. The guy with the heated jacket is the one standing around with a smile on their face in the group of people shivering and shaking.

·
SSR Believer
1,232 Posts
Funny, in the past few weeks I’ve been looking at buying a cordless impact wrench too. Grew up using air impacts, but I don’t have the room for a compressor, etc.

I noticed that Robert (@shiftz33) uses the Milwaukee model in his DIY videos and was leaning that direction.

After years of trials and errors, all of the dozen or so power tools and accessories in our garage are DeWalt wired or 20v. They’ve been bullet-proof and I really like how long the larger batteries last and how quickly they re-charge. It would be nice to keep it in the same family for sure.

Looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts. ?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Take a look at the "Fuel" series from Milwaukee, they're light and powerful - many professional mechanics swear by them! I've only had mine 6 months, but it exceeds expectations so far.
M12 or M18?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve got Dewalt 20v 1/4” impact and 1/2” impacts and like them very much. The 1/2” is a beast and was on sale a while back and I couldn’t pass it up. As you recall the Dewalt light sits nicely inside the door, which is useful when changing the latches. ;)

I was briefly drooling over their 3/8 impact at HD the other night, but my toolbox is overflowing (which is something else I was drooling over).
Is the 1/4" right angle?

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,179 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I don't really have a lot of electric tools so brand loyalty and hot swapping batteries is not a big deal for me. Thought I would run some numbers for those interested. Prices are all pretty much the same for the 1/4 drives and warranties as well, except for Dewault.

IPM - Impacts Per Minute

Kobalt 1/4 - $100 with battery + bag
(y)24v
(y)3500 IPM
(y)1800 in lbs torque
3 speed settings 0-850, 0-2000, 0-2700
5 year warranty, 2 year battery

Milwaukee M12 Fuel 1/4 - $129 with battery + bag
12v
1200 in lbs torque
0-2640 rpm
550 IPM

Milwaukee M18 - $100 with battery + bag
18v
(y)3200 RPM
1600 in lbs torque
200 IPM

Dewalt - $100 with battery + bag
20v
2800 RPM
1400 in lbs torque
3200 IPM
(n)3 year warranty

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,139 Posts
Milwaukee big impact is a beast! My son is a diesel mechanic and uses his to remove lug nuts on semi's!

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Are you looking for an impact driver or wrench? What are you using it for?

I have a regular and cordless 1/2 but neither are right angle. I am not sure that I have seen one. The cordless is the old 18 volts that I am not sure they even make anymore. The regular plug in is more powerful and they are about the same size.

I have M12's on the smaller items and like their flexibility. These are impact drivers, not wrenches. I do have a 3/8 angle ratchet that is handy. It is for smaller jobs, not changing tires etc..

Dave

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you looking for an impact driver or wrench? Wrench

What are you using it for? Light maintenance and part changing.

I do have a 3/8 angle ratchet that is handy. It is for smaller jobs, not changing tires etc.. With a 3/8" drive I wouldn't be changing tires.

My mistake I should have stated an impact wrench. I have seen a lot of people using the Milwaukee's but was wondering if there was something better out there.

·
Registered
2005 SSR
170 Posts
All my battery tools are Milwaukee. I have a 18 V and 24 V impact. Always carry the 24 on trips because I drive a 3/4 ton HD pickup. Found the 24 on eBay for a great price.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
My mechanic swears by his Snap-On. I don't use mine often enough to swing that.
I like my Milwaukee 3/8 12V.
I have several other M12 tools also. They are compact and handy.
I have a CP RA with more torque, however it is pneumatic.

For the money I am very happy with the M12's. From a jacket to a radio to a jig saw.

IMO

Dave

1 - 20 of 28 Posts