Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Two that I am currently looking at are LS1-Edit http://www.carputing.com/ and HPTuners http://www.hptuners.com .

Not an expert on tuning but these two seem pretty close to the top from the web searchs I have done.

I sent an email to both companies and was pleased with there responces. Leaning more towards the LS1-Edit. They use a different cable connection to isolate the PCM from the other computers in the vehicles, to ensure that there is no interference from those other computers. Cable you have to purchase from another company. I should have been looking at these two from the start instead I went the easy way out. Didn't look at all the options that the full programs have per cost over the handhelds. DOH, I feel like an idiot.

Might be just what I need since I tried a Predator with no luck.

·
Premium Member
9,313 Posts
Keep us posted on your search, Fatboy. I use a laptop with a marine diagnostics package at work. Able to capture a running stream of data, email it to the manufacturer for their analysis, get updated software if required by email, and burn it into the onboard computer - great system.

I've never investigated the possibility of a comparable system for the SSR, so any feedback would be appreciated. I liked what I read about the Diablo system, until you and at least one other Fanatic had problems.

Ray

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Foreign language

Went to the HP tuners site. they're talking in some other language. That stuff is way over my head. Feel like a first grader among PHD's. Anyone else feel like this??

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
HD-Fatboy: Be very careful in selecting a tuning software package, for a number of reasons.

First, you have been unable to get the Preator to work with your SSR. You are hoping and assuming that if you get a different tuning product that it will use a different communication component, that will not have a problem communicatiing with your specific SSR ECU, but that is not necessarily true for two reasons:

1. In our modern marketplace, many apparently differnet products use the same underlying components, just packaged a bit differently, or with different user interfaces, or with different capabilities used and suppressed. For example, I was intrigued to see that the self-contained onboard Veypor device I use for motorcycle testing apaprently uses the same PC software for access and analysis as the G-Tech RR does that I just got to use with my cars. These two products are from completely different companies, but they both found the same, supposedly best in class software provider.

2. ALL tuning devices that access a vehicle's ECU depend on an unimpeded communication channel, with no electronic signals around to interfere. Something interfered when your Predaotr tried to communicate with your SSR, and I suspect the same thing COULD happen when you try a Superchips, HP Tuners, or LS Edit. You need to have someone a lot smarter and more experienced than us diagnose what is happening on your SSR, or NO tuning product may work.

Secondly, be aware that HP Tuners or LS Edit are professional level products intended for use by experienced tuners, not consumers. While they do indeed offer way more capabilities than the Predator or Superchips or any other consumer-targeted product, that comes with several DISadvantages:

1. No built-in preset "higher performance" settings for spark advance, fuel air ratio, and other CRITICAL engine settings. In a professional grade product, you are allowed to set those completely yourself but are also expected to KNOW WHERE to set them to. The consumer level products SAFELY do that for you, and also provide only a SAFE range of adjustability, while on the professional grade products you need to know YOURSELF, and normal people like us do NOT know what is safe under all forseeable conditions. You could easily destroy your engine with inapprorpiate settings.

2. No built-in protection against "double tuning". What I mean here is that most aftermakret tuning products do not reprogram the ECU from scratch, but rather appllky offsets to exisitng ECU settings. The consumer grade products look for a STOCK ECU software signature, to ensure that they are not applying their offsets to an already modified set of settings. This is to prevent, for example, applying a 5 degree advance in timing TWICE to the original advance settings. This is how the consumer grade products protect you from "double tuning". The rofessional grade products do not include this kind of restriction. They even allow you to load a CAR program onto your TRUCK's ECU! THey assume you know exactly what you are doing. I knoe for a fact that I do NOT know what I am doing!

3. NO built-in protection against irreevocably wiping the ECU and destroying it in the process. If you take the time to download the HP Tuners manual, you will see that it clearly wanrs you that certain events, like interruption of communication, followed by an inappropriate response on your part, can literally irrevoably wipe the ECU. Given your KNOWN communication problem on your SSR, this should be a screaming warning to you.

I don't want to unduly scare you, but I did want to warn you that there is a HUGE difference in products like HP Tuners and LS Edit from the built-in protections of products like the Predator and Superchips.

HP Tuners was in fact the product used by my tuner when he dyno tuned my SSR, and it gave good results. But, my tuner is an experienced mechanic with 20+ years of experience who builds racing engines for a living. He knows what to play with and what not to play with, and knows how far somehting can be safely adjusted.

Be very careful.

Jim G

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks Jim,
On my next visit to the dealer, I am having them check and see what might possibly be going on with the system.

I am not jumping back into the PCM programming untill I have an explanation. Last thing I want to have happen is a dead module. It was so much easier tunning my 76 Vette.

I do like the explanation from LS1-Edit about isolating the PCM from the rest of the system computers.

Anyway, the dealer is going to have to see what is going on first before anything elctrical is added to the truck.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts