Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it looks like I'm buying an SSR, but it's sitting 1100 miles away.

I've looked at Dependalbe Auto Shippers, they have a very low price. But I'm thinking maybe Horseless Carriage Auto would be more dependable and safe.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Well, I have to agree with previous posts on another thread regarding this question - Fly and Drive! This is such a great truck to drive, that you'd have a great time making a road trip out of it and it's a great way to make memory of it's trip home.

In the first two weeks I had mine, I put 800 miles on it without even realizing it! And it's not even a daily driver, and I only live 2 miles from work. I didn't take any road trips, just drove around running weekend errands and visting people, and it's not like I live out in the boonies - SF Bay Area where everything is fairly close. I have no idea where all those miles came from...

I didn't realize what a fun truck this is to drive til I got one and started spending time in it...I know, I know, I don't leave the blanket and pillow in there.... :lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,576 Posts
Shipping SSR

I had dependable ship my SSR. I paid extra to have mine on the top, but some how a tie down chain fell on my SSR and dented it ??????? Kind of hard to do if it was on the top where i paid for. :mad
 

·
SSR Owners Group
Joined
·
3,753 Posts
dougnc said:
Well, it looks like I'm buying an SSR, but it's sitting 1100 miles away.

I've looked at Dependalbe Auto Shippers, they have a very low price. But I'm thinking maybe Horseless Carriage Auto would be more dependable and safe.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?
I'll pay my own airfare to go get it and drive it back to you... :lol

Fed-Ex it! Seriously: http://passport.fedex.com/default.shtml I've heard they are good to deal with...

Just did a quick rate quote - (I used Missoula MT to my place in California) 1,246 miles - was quoted $1,500. I chose to drive mine home...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
670 Posts
Horseless carriage is the ONLY way to go. Truck is enclosed and they are great to deal with. I use them all the time to ship coast to coast. Another good one is Intercity. Depending on where you live, one may be much cheaper then the other however the quality is the same.

my 3 cents worth!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
HePaid4mySSR said:
My friend used Horseless Carraige to ship his new Corvette--loved it! Arrived beautifully!
Whats their charges at Horseless Carriage? just curious because i'd rather drive mine home.. but i HATE flying.. SCARY to me!! :eek
 

·
Original SSR Centerfold
Joined
·
3,146 Posts
Fly and drive. It'll only cost you a couple hundred and the bonding time with your new baby is priceless. I did 1100 miles from NY to FL. Would definitely do it again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
DRIVE IT!!!!!
Trust me you'll love the drive back home.. 1100 miles?? whatever... just :ssr and go with it! :seeya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Das vs drive

DAS just took my 95 vet to its new owner and I was pretty impressed with how they looked it over and took care of it (while I was standing there however)

If you go the fly and drive home (which is what I would do too) be sure they have the tires up to snuff.
When I picked mine up - all 4 were flat spotted from sitting in the showroom!
I have 400 miles on #9035 and she still shakes like a banshee at cruise at 55-65.
My local dealer who is great said they would warranty replace them at no charge to me but I should go see if it would go away at 500 miles. I am closing in on 500.

Best advice is ---- If you drive it home, make sure the tires are good to go......

Dave
:flag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Z16Z06 said:
Whats their charges at Horseless Carriage? just curious because i'd rather drive mine home.. but i HATE flying.. SCARY to me!! :eek
They quoted me 1450, very close to intercity.

Need I mention that you're about 1 billion billion billion to the billionth power safer flying in a747 piloted by professionals than hotrodding around in an overpowered 2 ton death buggy on roads covered with similarly equiped alkies, geezers, psychotics, suicides, and the occasional merely incompetent drivers?

:lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
i ship classic cars all the time I use a company called Arrow auto transport www.arrowautotrans.com I have used them about 10 or 12 times with no complaints on either end and their rates were very reasonable they will quote online either enclosed or open
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
dougnc said:
They quoted me 1450, very close to intercity.

Need I mention that you're about 1 billion billion billion to the billionth power safer flying in a747 piloted by professionals than hotrodding around in an overpowered 2 ton death buggy on roads covered with similarly equiped alkies, geezers, psychotics, suicides, and the occasional merely incompetent drivers?

:lol
OH i agree with ya too!
If i ever could get booked on a 747 that would be cool, i seem to get the smaller planes.. small isle two seats on each side.. last American Airlines trip was wonderful going to SC to pick up my last car. Had a great pilot and crew!! OH yeah i'll fly but be nervous.. just scared of heights.. someone knock me out and wake me after we land.. LOL

Cant wait to see what city im flying into for my SSR.. Im trying very hard..
 
Y

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Fly, Fly back, Fly & Drive!

Support your local dealership!

I purchased a SSR via a dealership in the Detroit area that advertised on this web site. We flew into Detroit, drove 1 hr from the dealership to have the "custom wind suppressor" installed only to have the top fail after it retracted. No matter what we tried we could not get the top to close. I had to leave the truck near Detroit and fly back home WITHOUT the SSR. The truck was then driven back to the dealership the next day by the original salesperson. It took 2 days to repair the top mechanism. My wife and I then had to fly back to make another attempt at driving the vehicle 700 miles back home. So let's review; fly, fly back home without the SSR, fly & then drive!

If I were to do it again, I would take the best internet price and try to get a local dealership to match or beat it! Whatever money you saved would not be worth the aggravation of flying & driving or shipping if anything were to go wrong!

If it wasn't for Ray's help @ Pace I do not know what we would have done!

:nono
 

·
I'm not cool...
Joined
·
2,096 Posts
I fix tons of transport damage(paintless)

the stuff I've seen would scare you! the stories I've heard scares me!
a wholesaler friend bought mine for me in Pheonix, I had mine transported to slc anyway.
Make sure someone at the dealership goes over it with a fine tooth comb :flag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yellow Hot Rod said:
Support your local dealership!

I purchased a SSR via a dealership in the Detroit area that advertised on this web site. We flew into Detroit, drove 1 hr from the dealership to have the "custom wind suppressor" installed only to have the top fail after it retracted. No matter what we tried we could not get the top to close. I had to leave the truck near Detroit and fly back home WITHOUT the SSR. The truck was then driven back to the dealership the next day by the original salesperson. It took 2 days to repair the top mechanism. My wife and I then had to fly back to make another attempt at driving the vehicle 700 miles back home. So let's review; fly, fly back home without the SSR, fly & then drive!

If I were to do it again, I would take the best internet price and try to get a local dealership to match or beat it! Whatever money you saved would not be worth the aggravation of flying & driving or shipping if anything were to go wrong!

If it wasn't for Ray's help @ Pace I do not know what we would have done!

:nono
I went into my local dealership, and placed an order at MSRP. The salesman, who was from the Suburu side, the Chevy salesmen all ignored me, never gave me his business card. He never e-mailed me as he promised, the sales manager never contacted me, as he promised, and calls and e-mails were just ignored.

I hope their service department is better! :lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mikepowell said:
the stuff I've seen would scare you! the stories I've heard scares me!
a wholesaler friend bought mine for me in Pheonix, I had mine transported to slc anyway.
Make sure someone at the dealership goes over it with a fine tooth comb :flag
Who did you use to transport it?

I got them to promise to have their service check on it. Anything in particular to check for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bcbear10 said:
Horseless carriage is the ONLY way to go. Truck is enclosed and they are great to deal with. I use them all the time to ship coast to coast. Another good one is Intercity. Depending on where you live, one may be much cheaper then the other however the quality is the same.

my 3 cents worth!!!!!!!
I think I'm going to use horseless carriage. Anything I should know when negotiating with them?
 

·
I'm not cool...
Joined
·
2,096 Posts
I don't know who shipped it

black beauty had 16000mi on him so I knew there had to be chips & such. if you can have someone at the dealership fuss over the ssR checking for chips scratches dings, especially on the top panels, bumpers, rims the places that are most at risk. this also insures that the truck is "showroom" when it leaves. then there's no denying damage and whos to blame if something mysteriously appears
:flag
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top