Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
BlueStreak
26,582 Posts
HI ROPE. The Steaks, I can taste them now? Can hardly wait. Better yet, Maybe we can get BLUESTREAK pick up the tab. That would be the right thing to do. What a great friend.Cheers, Donny Two Shoes
What makes you think I can afford such an extravagance? I live in CA and can barely afford the gasoline to drive to Utah.:surprise:

I have added a picture of the 4014 Big Boy being moved through the Cajon Pass on it's way to Wyoming for rebuild. This should show the size of this piece of machinery.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Guys I just wanted to put in my two cents worth, I was up to Promontory Point point few years ago. It is out in the middle of nowhere from Tremonton, Ut. It is 36 miles. From Interstate 84 it is 22 miles.

From Ogden, Ut. It is 61 miles around a hour drive.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
For a Hotel, check out this Best Western. We've stayed there a number of times on our escape for the Pacific Northwest scouting trips..

https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/book/hotel-rooms.45050.html?iata=00171880&ssob=BLBWI0004G&cid=BLBWI0004G:google:gmb:45050
I live approximately 4 miles directly west of this motel. However as soon as I get some approximate dates people are thinking I was going to check with a couple of hotels in downtown Ogden that are within walking distance to the Union Station.

Rope

·
BlueStreak
26,582 Posts
I live approximately 4 miles directly west of this motel. However as soon as I get some approximate dates people are thinking I was going to check with a couple of hotels in downtown Ogden that are within walking distance to the Union Station.

Rope
I am thinking about arrival on May 9 and departure on May 12 unless there are other events added.
With two days travel each way that will pretty much shoot a week.

·
Daily Driver
8,776 Posts
BlueStreak, just tell them who you are and the SSR Nation you represent, and they'll probably load your truck on a flatcar directly behind Big Boy for grand entrance. :deal: :cheers

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Guys I just wanted to put in my two cents worth, I was up to Promontory Point point few years ago. It is out in the middle of nowhere from Tremonton, Ut. It is 36 miles. From Interstate 84 it is 22 miles.

From Ogden, Ut. It is 61 miles around a hour drive.
Wide open country up there, just rolled thru there on the way back from Yellowstone. Thing is I'm going for the train more than anything and the area is quite different than where I live so variety is good. Enjoyed the pics of the restored Jupiter, I have an N scale version of it. My current plan is to track the 4014 from Cheyenne to Ogden, from the local news cast I saw in Cheyenne they are planning to take their time getting there with a few stops and events along the way. Have to wait until their timeline is posted before making reservations.

·
HobbyBob
589 Posts
This looks like a good place for a small rally. I know there are a lot of ferroequinologists out there that would like to see 4014. We would come up from Az. Maybe we could get MagicCarpetRide to join and we could get a trainload of PacBlues. .02:party:jester

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So I had to goggle that one... ferroequinologist, I ain't that smart, I just call em rail fans.:nerd:

·
Premium Member
757 Posts

·
BlueStreak
26,582 Posts
Reservation made for 3 nights. Took about 5 tries to get to the operator and then there was shock when I gave her the dates. Offer was for 1 queen, 2 queens, or a king room, all at the same negotiated rate. Emailed confirmation received before I hung up.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks Rope, will be making reservations tomorrow. Having spent much of my life in the motel business may I suggest a tip for calling this location since bluestreak had an issue already. Best time to call is late morning up to early afternoon. Try not to call from 5 to 8 as that is check in time when they are the most busy. Sorry not trying to be a know it all, just trying to help out. Thanks again to Rope for taking the time to get this set up for us.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So having gone through several desk clerks in my career let me say that anyone making reservations should not only get a confirmation number but call again another day to a different shift worker to confirm your reservation is indeed made. Desk clerk aptitude varies widely and I have concerns after making my reservation. Also since these reservations are so far in the future other calls closer to the date of arrival are a good idea. Again, not trying to be a know it all, just have a lot of experience in this business.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
PLEASE Don't forget ME

I was a member of the National Historical Railroad Association for nearly 20 years !! Went to as many Steam RR excursions as I could - all alone !! Am really interested in seeing this BIG BOY.....
I was all set up the ride the Challenger from Sacramento RailFair in '99, when UP pulled it because its' Sister 484 blew a gasket at RailFair the night before........ $1000 seat - thousands of excited followers along the route to the Keddie Wye - alas, UP gave the excursion a very dirty old yellow thing to replace the Challenger Locomotive. Perhaps it was fortunate because we were intentionally shut down on the way back by specially placed rock piles placed in such a manner to punch a hole in our diesel storage, which one finally did ! There was a lot of hustling about as the train had to be stopped and everything had to be shut down ...... finally, the engineer found a piece of wood to shove into the hole and get us off on a near siding. Very scary...
I was in the last car, photographing out the rear when I noticed piles of giant rock in the middle of the rail bed....... there was about five or six before the real damage was done. We were sitting in a huge spill of gallons of diesel fuel ! My car did have the conductor with us so we were able to find out what was going on while they had to figure out how to get us off the track QUICK. By the time we finally returned to Sacramento, it was late and we had just moments to detrain because our train was a DEAD train - never have I ever seen so many people fly off into the dark - me ? I had no idea where I was nor where the hotel was !!!

:cheer::cheer::cheer:
Sue

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well I was about to hit the like tab on tickledpinks post but I realized that I don't like the rock piles that some jerk piled on the tracks. Makes me wonder if they were targeting the Challenger locomotive itself because of the attention that trip was getting. It will never cease to amaze me how evil keeps rearing its ugly head. Glad you made it through ok tickledpink, hope to meet you at the event.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Getting old.

3917 is set up in North Platte Nebraska. My home town and where I lived until 2006. That is the Challenger series a 4 6 6 4 vs. a 4 8 8 4. I have visited it several times as North Platte is one of the biggest railroad yards in the world.

I have ridden the 3985 when I was a kid. We lived above the tracks about 3 miles away and watched the steam locomotive go by and the B36's fly over.

I am getting old I guess.

Dave

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,548 Posts
I guess I'm missing some of the story as to why a person or persons would go to the effort of sabotaging a piece of railroad history? How could anyone not love to see these beautiful locomotives on the rails after all these years?

Dave

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I binge watched the AMC TV series "Hell On Wheels" on Netflix a while back. Got a whole different perspective on the first trans continental rail ways. Might be fun to make the run up from New Mexico and take part in this.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts
About this Discussion
84 Replies
24 Participants
Stepchild
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing