Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we bought our Smokin' Asphalt 2005 about 3 weeks ago, we noted a slight difference in color between certain panels on the SSR. I had every assurance that the color was correct and there was no problem. At least not until I put a really good coat of wax on it and could see how much of an issue I have.

About a week later when I returned to the dealership, I had the Fleet Sales guy, Service Manager, Body Shop manager and painter looking at our SSR in the bright Phoenix sunlight. :rolleyes:

It was at this point that they all agreed that the painted panels did not match. Here is a summary:

All of the plastic attached body panels (bumpers, lower valences, w/s pillars, rear stone guards, mirrors, etc) are a true black. This is reportedly because the primer for those parts is dark.

All of the main body panels that are metal (except the cross-deck piece between the top and rear deck) are a brownish shade of black. This is reportedly because the primer for the metal surfaces is a grey color.

The cross-deck piece and the entire bed cover are true black. Note that the cross-deck piece is actually made of metal.

All of the guys who looked at it immediately noticed the problem. I have a two-tone black truck. :banghead

We were making headway into correcting the problem with either an exchange for another black truck or a repaint of ours. GAG. This was, until the dealership pulled another black truck up next to mine and what do you know.... it has the same issues. :banghead

The GM area rep and the service manager said that they do not want to do anything for me now, since there are two that look the same, it is not a problem. You bet, it is a systemic problem in the production line........ It is an indication of a quality problem with the black painted units from the factory! :banghead :banghead

My patience is getting thin........ Paint code 41U is on all Chevrolets and it is a true black on all of them EXCEPT for the SSR. All I want is for my truck to be ONE color.

I need some help here......

Is there a specification that paint code 41U must meet?

Has this been a problem in the past?

Has there been a precident set in the past with GM?

I have a meeting with the General Manager of the dealership tomorrow and could really use a little objective evidence that they should do something for me. Emotional ourbreaks and temper tantrums will not do any good here...... I need facts.

Yes, I am picky, but I used to be an amatuer painter and know that brown shaded black is an indication of a thin base coat.

HELP Please.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I am also very anal and noticed the exact same problem with my 2005 Black SSR. I will be doing a custom paint job on the SSR soon. Black is a color that needs to be painted at the same time relative to temperature and humidity or the result is what you and I have. I assume that they are painted at different locations and then brought together for assembly.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the agreement. It is a little reassuring that I am not the only one whoi thinks it is not right.

I assume that they were painted separately too. The plastic parts come pre-painted from the supplier/plant to the assembly line. This is OK, except that the cross-deck piece and the bed cover should really match the rest of the truck. I have not seen any other chevy with this problem.... anywhere.

Am I going to have toi repaint my new truck a panel at a time myself? I hope that is not the fix for GM's paint issues.

Mike

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,202 Posts
only thing I can say..

is that the plastic parts are normaly sprayed at a differant facilty and shipped into what ever plant they are destined for. I perasonally did not see any plastic parts heading for the spary booths in Lansing, but did see them in racks waiting to be assmebled on the SSR's.

All the GM plants are now useing body colored primer during the paint process. I f they tell you it's due to the grey primer coat, it is a false statement. The vehicles are dipped into an ELPO (ELectrostatic Primer Operation) tank (corrosion protection) which is a grey green color. It then goes to the primer stage which is body color (in your caes Black primer). From there it is looked over for any defects, then shipped for paint. So it is a black on black paint.

The only differance there could be, is if the facilty painting the plastic (urethane) parts are adding a flex additive to the paint which will change the color slightly.

Hope this helps you out.

FUZZY
Currently 28 years of painting experience.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuzzy,

Thanks for the info... I've been painting for about 20 years and recognize the bleed-through of the undercoat through the base coat. I had no idea that they used black primer under the black paint. If that is true, it appears that the black primer coat is missing under my base coat. Are you really certain that all black SSRs get a black primer coat? This might be the root cause.....

Thanks for your support and quick reply,

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I am so picky that I would have issues with even a good GM bodyshop repainting it for me for free. I will be painting the door handles, running boards and shaving the bowtie/SSR off the tailgate. I will then design the new paint and have the basecoat redone on the whole SSR before reclearing the whole thing.

Maybe we can get Chevrolet to pay a partial toward repaint.

·
5,202 Posts
yep

mikem-2005 said:
Fuzzy,

Thanks for the info... I've been painting for about 20 years and recognize the bleed-through of the undercoat through the base coat. I had no idea that they used black primer under the black paint. If that is true, it appears that the black primer coat is missing under my base coat. Are you really certain that all black SSRs get a black primer coat? This might be the root cause.....

Thanks for your support and quick reply,

Mike

Talked with the painters in in Lansing and they confirmed that they are using Black primer under coats for the black. I can also state that as fact, from when I refinished mine to be custom painted. I had a few body waves that I blocked out and did find Black primer under the black paint.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuzzy,

It looks to me like maybe they left out the black primer coat from my paint job then...... Without sanding down a panel, how can I be sure? Is there a search that I can do on the VIN to identify all of the processes that were followed or skipped?

Mike

·
5,202 Posts
mill check

Have them check the mill thickness of the current paint. Factories will vary slightly, But should be around 3.0 mills. You may have to call Lansing tech and find out what their mill factor is (2.8 - 3.2).

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure GM wants us talking about this openly.... It could mean that we will be pounding on their door for some warranty paint work or some compensation...... I don't have a read yet from the factory. Who can we call that is at a high enough level to give a straight answer? I have little faith in local reps.

Mike

·
5,202 Posts
Good question Mike

I'll have to check in the morning. Send me a PM so that I will remeber to check for you Tommarow.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
So far we have heard from 05 owners. I have seen other year(ashphalt) models up close and they looked black to me. Maybe Houtex can check his when he gets turned rightside up again!

Would painting another coat of black over the existing help this?
I hope you get it fixed soon and with as little fanfare as possible.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, I held off putting this on the forum because I didn't want to stir up too much trouble, but I was kinda put in a corner yesterday.

I would really like to get some of the GM members of the forum to comment on this, as I believe there is a systemic problem on some of the 05's. I looked at the S/N listing and I have one of the last 05's produced.... # 21232. Maybe there have been some "lot" problems in the painting process..... We just don't know until some really inside people weigh in on this.

Thanks for your concern, we love our SSR and really don't want to give it up for even a day. It is, however, very embarassing to have the truck under flourescent lights at night and have someone ask why the truck is brown. I hate making excuses for poor quality.

I would like to hear from freezer and possibly Bob Walczyk..... Before I start talking to the General Manager at the dealership..

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm determined to have this paint issue corrected. If I have to, I'll get the whole truck painted correctly. Black is gorgeous on this truck and it deserves to look like a $million$.

I'm with you.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I can look at the corner of the SSR where the top, scallop panel, quarter panel and bed cover meet and see at least 3 distinct different colors of Black. I paint on the side (mostly PPG Triple Black) with my friend and would never accept this.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I also had the dealership where I purchased my SSR repaint the hood and drivers door for dings from lot damage. I still have not gotten all the overspray on other panels off. I am real skeptical of having a dealership paint it for me.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
If Chevrolet would credit me toward the paint I would repaint Black with some ghost flames. I have almost 1.5 gallons of PPG Triple Black acrylic urethane which is a single stage paint (no clear). I would repaint with this but would have to do a different type flames as ghost flames would need to be cleared.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts