Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealership ordered a new blower motor since I complained of a "knocking noise" when at setting #2 on the blower motor speed switch. I also found that at #1 the motor would make noise as the engine revs went up from idle.

They installed the blower motor and it still does the same thing. I ended up requesting a meeting with the dealership's owner (for the numerous issues with my SSR) and that occurred today. I found on the NHTSA website a TSB that exists for this blower motor issue but I could not see the details.

During today's meeting I was given the following tech note.

Advance Service Info - Blower Motor Noise on Second Speed Setting (Fix Not Yet Available)
#04-01-38-004 - (Mar 4, 2004)

This document states that this is a "known" issue and a fix is being tested now. It instructs the dealership to NOT replace the current blower motor since that will not fix the issue.

The issue is how they regulate the blower motor's speed and that is in turn causing the "knock" sound from the blower motor.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Advance Service Info - Blower Motor Noise on Second Speed Setting (Fix Not Yet Available) #04-01-38-004 - (Mar 4, 2004)

2003 - 2004 Chevrolet SSR

Condition

Some customers may comment on a blower motor noise on the second speed setting. If the noise is only on the second speed setting, it is an operating characteristic of the HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) system.

Cause

This condition may be caused by the HVAC control module using PWM (pulse width modulation) to control the blower motor speed. PWM control of the blower motor only occurs on the second speed setting. For speeds 1, 3 and 4 the blower motor is controlled through the use of blower motor resistors. For high speed, setting 5, the HVAC control module provides a direct path to ground, without the use of resistors, to control the blower motor speed.

Correction

Important

DO NOT replace the blower motor or HVAC control module. Replacement of either part will not resolve the condition. Engineering is aware of the condition and is determining a course of action.

• Record the customer information on a permanent record so you may call the customer when a repair becomes available.
  • Advise the customer that a repair is in test and validation and is due out soon. At the time the bulletin becomes available, it will be the dealer's responsibility to contact the customer.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Blower Motor Noise

If the problem is, in fact, from the PWM control module, then it is a function of certain electronic components in the module itself. This explains why some of us have had the problem from day one; some (like me) have just noticed it; some still don't (and maybe never will) have it at all.

Before I let the dealer touch this "problem", I'll just avoid 2nd speed on the blower! :nodno

·
Registered
33 Posts
A/C Blower motor

I just had the blower motor replaced today, getting a loud noise on settings 4&5. Had to take the service tech for a ride due to intermetance. They replaced the motor aannnd told me they founnd leaves by the motor, must have been a factory option I didn''t order.

J

·
0 Posts
I had my car in to the dealer this week about the noise on the #1 fan setting that occurs upon slight acceleration. The service write-up person said that there was a fix which is to replace the #1 fan setting resistor. The bad news as told by the dealer is that they have to tear the dash apart over a 2-3 day period.

HELP. Is this BS or what? There is no way my dash is going to get gutted

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Have had the noise on setting no. 1 since I bought my SSR but now it is occuring on all of the settings and is much louder. There is definately something hitting the fan! On setting no. 1 is sounds quite loud as if a small bird were trapped in there or something. It is beyond annoying. It is clearly loud and disturbing. They hijaked my truck for a week last time and still did not fix the top prob. so I guess I will have them look at this prob. at next oil change in a few months. :mad

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 03 SSR would make a slight "knock-knock" noise on setting "1" when I had the A/C on and increased the engine RPMs.

On setting "2" (the setting for general air flow) would always make the noise, no matter what RPM the engine was at.

The service department replaced the blower motor and stated "it was fixed". As soon as I turned on the blower motor, it was not fixed nor any different than before the repair.

That's when I (stress I) found the TSB on the NHTSA website and pointed out the issue to the service manager. At the time it simply stated it was a known problem and it would be fixed "sometime" in the future.

The blower motor replacement took most of a day to complete on my 03 SSR, but as noted above, it didn't result in any change.

This one issue drove me nuts more than anything since I had to run the A/C with the top up (110 outside gets a bit rough to keep the top down sometimes) and in the mornings to warm up the cabin when it was too cold.

I would mention my 7-12-2004 posting info to your service manager to see if this is the same issue outlined in that TSB.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The last I knew there was no fix for the #2 fan speed noise which is pretty subtle. If you have noise at other speeds, then you need to get the blower fixed. Outside debris can sometimes get to the fan and cause an unbalance and noise.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Freezer: Thanks for your advice. It is always so very much appreciated. I will have them check out the blower and print out these comments for them to read as well. Something definately got into the fan and is intermittently flapping on the blades on every setting now. Any idea how I could actually access the fan area without going to the dealership?

I have also had the vehicle in six times to get the top adjusted so I don't get time outs and rub marks on the roof but each time, the dreaded problem resurfaces and now there are all kinds of nicks, scratches and v shaped cuts in some of the flipper door parts but they are out of sight. There has to be a solution. My mechanic tried valiantly to his credit to solve the problem but it is still a big issue.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Cruzned, you have an early VIN. Did you ever have your tonneau hinges replaced? New stronger hinges came in about VIN 1200. The old hinges could distort and cause the tonneau to hang up on the bed cover. This would get progressively worse.

When the roof is down the plastic panel is called the flipper door, the steel panel that raises up to allow the roof to retract is called the tonneau and the rear most panel is called the bed cover. This is how we kept them straight as engineers.

There is a fix if there are rub marks on the rear side of the front roof panel. The fix requires carving away some of the plastic inner trim on the rear roof panel.

Time out problems are usually associated with the header latch electrical switches or low hydraulic oil.

·
Super Moderator
24,532 Posts
Update?

I am having trouble with the a/c on 2 and higher with the noise. Dealer can't figure it out... they say they can't duplicated it??? Having trouble with directing them to the fix. From this thread there is a service bulletin with no fix... Has one been issued with a fix? Help!! Frustrated!! :eek

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Need to remove paper or ??

In most cases when you remove blower motor you will find paper (even money)has been found in cage and in air ducting. Use a vacuum cleaner and pull out foriegn material out of ducting and cage. Without hearing the noise we have had people with tree leaves fill up blower cage and also cause low blower speeds and extra strain on motor.

Just a thought to suggest to service repair shop :reddevil

Robert Salerno:blue:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Blower noise

My 03 has the problem. It is intermittent, so every time I think of taking it to dealer it goes away. I m not looking forward to the dealer tearing my truck up, but the noise ,when it comes, is horrible! it almosts vibrates the whole chassis !
The wife drove it and thought that some one had a weed wacker running close by!. It really is LOUD. It seenms to start on speed 2 or 3 with or without the AC on. It will continue even when changing the speed to all other speeds. Turning on and back off and on again does not stop the vibration. Sometimes it is gone. HELP
Howard

1 - 20 of 35 Posts