Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to upgrade my cell phone and I want one with Bluetooth. I had a Nokia hands free car kit in my previous ride, which was great. I want a Bluetooth kit for my SSR.

So, here are the questions -

1) First, is the expense of a car kit worth it (I'm talking hard wired control unit, microphone, and auxiliary speaker or one that uses the car's speakers)? Would buying a a good Buetooth headset do the job?

2) One advantage of my other car kit was the cradle charged up the phone. What are your opinions of a standard car kit with a cradle versus Bluetooth?

3) Who has installed a Bluetooth car kit, what kind, and where did you put the control unit? (I'm considering the Motorola that can voice dial single digits, the 1000, iirc)

Any other tips, advice will be appreciated.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Nokia

Nokia makes a blue tooth car kit that can be exclusive to bluetooth or use the cradle and ahndsfree feature. I think it is the ck-7, I just installed it and have the cradle installed as well so it charges.
I understand that the Motorola Razr fits into the cointray however and is bluetooth which would work with the Nokia kit, but charging would require a charger cord from the accessory plug.
Your call.
This thread has pics

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5019&highlight=phone+holder

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, I intalled the motorola bluetooth car kit in my car last month. It is awesome, it seems to work well with the motorola phones and not so great with other brands. I just get in the car and it connects to my phone so i dont have to push any buttons. When a call comes in i say hello and it answers the phone, no buttons needs to be pushed. The cost was 120 dollars, well worth the expense.

:smash

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also leave my phone in my pocket, when i want to make a call i push a button on he bluetooth and say the name of the person i want to call, it can hold 20 names that way.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
crogan said:
Hi, I intalled the motorola bluetooth car kit in my car last month. It is awesome, it seems to work well with the motorola phones and not so great with other brands. I just get in the car and it connects to my phone so i dont have to push any buttons. When a call comes in i say hello and it answers the phone, no buttons needs to be pushed. The cost was 120 dollars, well worth the expense.

:smash
I have been looking at the Motorola bluetooth car kits, which one did you get, there are three available that is compatible to my phone, cost of $99 to $299. Did you install yourself?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Motorola HF850 OEM Bluetooth Wireless Car Kit HF-850
Its not hard to do, i just bought another one for my 1999 C5 corvette. I tried 5 different cell phones, 2 rimm blackberry they didn't work very well, 1 nokia which worked great and 2 motorola v80 and a razr which worked great also.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
I tried using a bluetooth (not the car kit) - too noisy in that cab to hear anything. Of course - I can't hear anything anyway.

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
I may be biased

Donnysan, I'll lead by saying I've worked for Motorola for 28 years, but the Razr with the Bluetooth head set works great. I've used it in the SSR with the top down, and the audio is strong and has very little wind noise. I've not used the hard wired car kits, but the big advantage is the amplified audio. I keep the Razr in the coin tray.

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
I'm with Big Daddy, RAZR in the coin tray and a BlueTooth Wireless headset works great. Voice dialing too! Put 'em both on silent, the headset vibrates, tap it and your talking. I've got the one that wraps behind your ear, not the big ugly that sticks out and sits on top of your ear. Others barely see it. :thumbs

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you say you installed it in your car, do you mean your SSR pickup or another car? Just tried having a hard-wired Parrot installed in my SSR today at Best Buy and it didn't work. They said something about the radio having some kind of security on it, so the radio won't cut out when a call is coming in. So I'm curious if your hard-wired Motorolla is installed in your SSR. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
50,206 Posts
They have a BlueTooth at Costco for $35.00 that works as good as my $100.00 MotoRokar.

I'm not complaining about the Motorokar it works fine and you can have it come through your Bose Speakers. The only bad thing about that is you have to find a FM station that is free from use. I just bought that Costco Baby for my Mother-in-law and it works just fine. You do have to hit the Phone Button on the Motorokar for incoming and Dial, but after that it is Hands free (voice activated)

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
I run with the top down as much as possible. With all the road/air noise the car speakers and aftermarket units unfit. The clip on visor units point the sound in the wrong direction and then the unit fries in the heat when parked in the sun, windows up. Found the best is a bluetooth headset.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,389 Posts
My nephew swears by the Jawbone II bluetooth headset. He drives a BMW convertible and his mother says this works best even with the top down, so I got one. Now I have to get a new phone which is Bluetooth compatible. I am up for an upgrade so will be shopping for a new phone soon. Have a Razr from work and am not a big fan of that phone bt it does work well on the hardwired bluetooth from Verizon which the company had installed in my work truck. Have to roll the windows up and turn down the radio to use it though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts