Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just purchased 2005 SSR and would like to know what to expect as far what I should replace to make it trouble free. Should any thing be done to keep the top trouble free etc. Thanks Bob

I live in Langley B.C. Canada. the car will only be used on a sunny day

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,069 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas.

Regarding the top, using the search field in the upper right, search for “Roof Cylinder” or “Roof Hydralics”. Lots of information on how and what to do.

Cooling system maintenance is also a good idea. For that I would suggest starting with: https://shop.simple-engineering.com/product.sc?productId=108&categoryId=3

-Robert
:silver:

·
Slingshot Rules!
75,479 Posts
WELCOME, Bob . . . from Southern Arizona.

My :yellow: has been "trouble free" for 13 plus years.

! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers ! :00000732: ! :cheers !​

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
Bobby V :00000732: :00000732: :00000732: to the SSR Nation. Sorry, Sorry oh so Sorry (The Impalas, "I Ran All The Way Home") TROUBLE FREE ??? As they used to say in NASCAR "Start and Park" and ... you will have a "Trouble Free" SSR

Seriously, there are several things you can do to improve the "performance" or maintenance of your SSR. Ignition switch, Transmission Cable "fix" Radiator Fan, Radiator Support Brace just to name a few. Stay tuned cause you will be hearing from many SSRfanatics with excellent ideas and improvements for your "little red truck" ... it is Redline Red isn't it ??? That's the color of over 6,600 of them before they ran out of Red paint and went to WalMart and got some cans of Smokin' Asphalt, Slingshot Yellow, Ricochet Silver, Ultra Violet, Aqua Blur and Pacific Blue and painted the other 17,000 + SSR's and you know what they actually look really good !!! :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

So much for the "lecture" ... Seriously :00000732: to the SSR FAMILY a great bunch of Guys & Gals !!! tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
47,327 Posts
Welcome From Western Pa !!!!!!!! :00000732: Do some reading here on upgrades and maybe some have already been done on yours !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Welcome too the Group, from Friendswood, Texas. There will be a long list of things that will make your experience better. Keep reading the posts here on the Forum, the best information and access too parts if needed. Recommend the ABS Heat Shield and if an Automatic, the shift cable bushing upgrade, just a couple of improvements that will make you happier.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,569 Posts
Hi I just purchased 2005 SSR and would like to know what to expect as far what I should replace to make it trouble free. Should any thing be done to keep the top trouble free etc. Thanks Bob

Welcome from one of the SoCal Nuts. The top was designed to operate twice in each direction each day for ten years. To keep it in good shape you need to use it. What need to be replaced is a list of items but if your new truck was previously owned by a member here many may have been done already. post a bit more about yourself and your truck in this thread and you will hear from many members of the family with ideas. If you can share the name of the previous owner that would also help many of us understand how the truck was treated.

Reactions: RedlineRyder

·
Super Moderator
14,055 Posts

Hey Bob
I lived in Langley/White Rock for a better portion of my life thus far.
I worked with Country Squire Realty mid 70's to mid 80's
Homelife Benchmark in White Rock the next 20 years

I don't think there is a lot you can do as a pre-emptive thing
You can spend a bunch of money on stuff that may never require change.
I think buying one that has been cared for is most important.
Otherwise, the SSR is just another vehicle that is going to require some maintenance.
The roof, if your hydraulics are working fine, don't worry about it - but it is something you may have to address down the road

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,633 Posts
Bob, Welcome from Forney Texas!!! You will discover that you have found the BEST FORUM ever!---Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,667 Posts

Howdy from the province next door! Welcome! What color is your truck? Did you buy it locally? In B.C.? Automatic or 6 Speed. How many Miles/Km?

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
Reactions: Cash

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Welcome to the family Bob. We are located on the Island in Comox. Ours is a Canadian spec'd 2004 Smokin' Asphalt SSR. And yours ... ?

Many of the welcome notes above contain some proactive advice to keep you enjoying your ride. But before you start modifying and fixin', put the top down, put the R in gear, and go for a smile!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma! You will find a wealth of information here and a bunch of very friendly helpful people.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,316 Posts
Hey Bob, welcome to the asylum. :lol You'll hear a lot of opinions on preventative upgrades you can make so I'll add my 2 cents.
Shifter bushing is a no brainer.
For automatics an anti-lock brake heat shield.
Spare ignition switch is a real good idea.
So is replacing the plastic radiator support with a steel one.

Another no brainer is to get an Ultimate Drive from Dinerman for the deal of the century.

Bookmark Dicktator's solutions/instructions for a bunch of repairs.
Some really good advice here and I might add read up on the Trailblazer 4 bolt crossmember. Easy addition that helps out.

·
it's 5 o'clock somewhere!
16,303 Posts
we live in Langley too. Bought our '04 brand new but sold it last spring. So many wonderful miles, it saw all weather. Road trips RULE!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts