Chevy SSR Forum banner

BobA, how far off is your speedometer?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  BobA 
#1 ·
After installing the 4:10 differential, I know your speedo is off and nobody seems to be able (or willing) to reflash it for you, but just how bad is it? Cell phones and another auto (without the problem) would tell you. Have you done that? Is it so far off you can't live with it? I got the torque converter problem fixed, now wondering about the gears. :confused

#2 ·
If uncorrected by changing the one field required to do so, the speedometer errors introduced by different rear axle ratios are as follows:

4.10 versus 3.73: Speedomter and odometer both read 10% higher than reality

4.56 versus 3.73: Speedomter and odometer both read 22.2% higher than reality

Jim G

#3 ·
JimG, what you are saying then,

is if I have an indicated 100mph speedo reading, I am only doing 90mph (with 4:10 gears)? I was fearful that I might "bust" a radar trap or school zone, but if I am actually doing 10% less than indicated, this possibility is less likely. Seems I could live with that, but also the odometer wouldn't spin up so fast on miles traveled (?). :rolleyes: :thumbs

G
#6 · (Edited)
actual mph

My speedo says 70mph, I am really going 65. At 85on speedo i was going 77 to 78 mp hactual Yes for every 1000mi i drive the odometer says 1100mi.
Actual Speeds were useing a lowrance gps in the SSr. 40Mph and under were not very noticable. But still 10% difference no matter how slow you drive. Unless sitting still. (not by the Still :lol )

We have figured a back door to this situation on the speedo I think it will be right before long. By next weekend, Ed will have a cure for what ails the speedo.
Thats all I need is a little remedy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.