Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
RIP. I met Bobby & Al Unser on February 22, 1980. I was part of the Timing & Scoring crew for a SCCA event. I was backup timer for a junior Indy car race that day. I was assigned two cars - one at the front and one mid-pack. Had my 2 stop watches going, seated at the rail from the observation deck of the closed Greater Southwest Airport - the race was on, when I felt someone standing right behind me. Actually it was 2 people - Bobby & Al Unser. What I didn't know was that my #1 assigned car was - Al Unser, Jr. Bobby & Al were watching Al,Jr's lap times. Nice guys. I remember because it was the 'Mircale on Ice' win for the USA - Olympics. Never met Al Unser, Jr. until March 1, 1996 at Grand Prix of Miami - Homestead, Fla. Al, Jr. happened to be staying at the same hotel as me. I came back from my business meeting and Al, Jr's sponsors - Pizza Inn/Bud were throwing a pre-race party in the hotel lobby. I told Al, Jr the above story and all he said was thanks and gave me a Bud.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,006 Posts
:oops:😞

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
RIP. I met Bobby & Al Unser on February 22, 1980. I was part of the Timing & Scoring crew for a SCCA event. I was backup timer for a junior Indy car race that day. I was assigned two cars - one at the front and one mid-pack. Had my 2 stop watches going, seated at the rail from the observation deck of the closed Greater Southwest Airport - the race was on, when I felt someone standing right behind me. Actually it was 2 people - Bobby & Al Unser. What I didn't know was that my #1 assigned car was - Al Unser, Jr. Bobby & Al were watching Al,Jr's lap times. Nice guys. I remember because it was the 'Mircale on Ice' win for the USA - Olympics. Never met Al Unser, Jr. until March 1, 1996 at Grand Prix of Miami - Homestead, Fla. Al, Jr. happened to be staying at the same hotel as me. I came back from my business meeting and Al, Jr's sponsors - Pizza Inn/Bud were throwing a pre-race party in the hotel lobby. I told Al, Jr the above story and all he said was thanks and gave me a Bud.
Great memories Bob. 👍🤠🇺🇸

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
4,219 Posts
Rest In Peace Bobbie! He was a great driver!

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
The Unsers have been a staple here in Albuquerque for many decades. Lots of fond memories seeing them around town and at their car museum. We lost a racing legend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts