Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my truck for two weeks and have a MAJOR body squeek or creek (not a rattle) coming from the left front of the vehicle (sounds like it's coming from under the dash on the driver's side). It is real bad when the weather's cold and quiets down quite a bit when the cab warms up. I've noticed the SSR shutters quite a bit when you hit a bump or railroad track, which I assume, is normal for the weight of the truck.
I know the dealer will fix it but has anyone else had this condition?
Ron :jester

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Mine makes strange noises when it's cold outside, but then so do my knees. I just ignore it until it warms up.

Texster68

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ron said:
I've noticed the SSR shutters quite a bit when you hit a bump or railroad track, which I assume, is normal for the weight of the truck. Ron :jester
I think the shudder when driving over uneven surfaces is as much due to the reduced body stiffness that is symptomatic of all convertibles as to the weight of the truck, if not more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar squeak or creek in my SRR, The sound is on the driver’s side and sounds
Like it’s coming from somewhere between the dash and the door pillar or even at to top of the door pillar were it meets the roof. And it also happens when go over a rough road or large bumps, every time the truck has body flex.
The sound is so bad that sometimes, I just want to take a hammer to it!
I’m trying to locate the sound, I’m hopping it’s something simple, like were the door meets the dash. I’m going to install some felt pads between the door panel and the dash to see if that helps.

·
In Love With My SSR
2,595 Posts
The dealer is checking mine out for this problem (and others) as we speak. I will let you all know what they tell me.

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
I had a different squeak, it was so bad on the inside of the cab that I figured out side it was embarasingly loud. after a lot of shaking the truck I fond it was the hood latch :skep
a little oil and it's gone :flag

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
We had a sound like that - it seemed like it was coming from under the dash near the center of the truck. The dealership tried several things, but then adjusted the hood hinges/supports - evidently the hood was flexing when we ran over uneven surfaces. This was over 6 months ago and noise seems to be gone. Good luck!:purple: :black:

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
exactly!

We had a sound like that - it seemed like it was coming from under the dash near the center of the truck. The dealership tried several things, but then adjusted the hood hinges/supports - evidently the hood was flexing when we ran over uneven surfaces. This was over 6 months ago and noise seems to be gone. Good luck!:purple: :black:
that was my problem :flag

·
In Love With My SSR
2,595 Posts
My service tech called to give me an update today. He said they ordered a new rack & pinion for the "creaking" coming from the front end. Is that the shocks & struts or something with the steering? Either way, I hope it fixes it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's an update on my original post from 10 months ago. The horendous squeek/rattle sounded like metal-on-metal and I was sure something major was about to fall off.
While doing a complete detail on the truck a week or so after my post I coated the rubber header gasket (and all of the other rubber components) with rubber conditioner and the noise went away.
I haven't heard a squeek since.
:black: :black:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts