Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,739 Posts
What is the best way to change over from a 6 bolt pattern to a 5 bolt pattern in order to have a better selection on wheels.
Some shops offer spacers but I would never consider them. They come loose and can cause a wreck or ruin a wheel. I noticed you have an 04 so probably have painted wheels. Have you tried the Chrome SSR wheels from 05 and 06. They bolt right on and look awesome. Lots of folks switched to those and tricked up the back barrel area and other ideas. A lot easier and a lot safer. Happy hunting.

Attachments

Reactions: Jersey red

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
3,574 Posts
I have 5 lug. However, this was done before my purchase but it was definitely hubs up front and axle stubs in the rear. No spacers here. I will be in Branson and anyone is welcome to inspect my set up.

Attachments

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,739 Posts
Although chrome rims were prevalent on 2005 & 2006 SSR's, there was also 1600+, 2004 SSR's delivered from the factory with chrome rims.
If you already have them then you are all set.

If not I saw some custom 6 lug on here and they were special made because of the different size front and rear and the off sets and brake clearance and they were in the $6000 to $8000 range.

If you go 5 lug you have to change the spindles and rear axles and still have to be careful about all the clearances and measurements.

Like I said earlier some custom shops will try to sell you spacer plates that bolt onto the 6 lug and then have 5 lug for the wheels. I would never buy those as I feel they are unsafe and can cause a lot of high cost damage.

Those are about your options so it depends on your pocket book. I like the factory chrome myself as they are designed, measured and fit properly and I think look great. Happy hunting.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
If not I saw some custom 6 lug on here and they were special made because of the different size front and rear and the off sets and brake clearance and they were in the $6000 to $8000 range.

I think replacing rear axles and front hubs will cost you more than getting custom wheels built, although it has been done successfully in the past.

I purchased these wheels from Colorado Customs, after a discussion with them at SEMA 2004, and many calls and emails to agree on a 6 bolt hub that would work with the 5 spoke design.

They sold me the wheels for production costs, even though they were custom one-off wheels. They said one-offs would be in the 8 - 10000 range, but they charged me $3000 for these at the time. I would do things differently regarding valve stem positioning, but I went with their recommendations at the time.

I told them at the time there were very few wheels available in both 19 x 8 and 20 x 10 with the different offsets required, and that I would allow them to use photos of my truck for their brochure and website, but that never happened at their end, even though I supplied them photos of the yellow 03 and the 06 FPR. Chrome wheels were never an option for me.

Please note how distinctly different the lip of the fronts and rears is. I think GM totally screwed up the stock wheel by hiding the 2" difference in width by flaring the rear spokes to the outside edge of the hoop. If you're going to the trouble of having two different wheel sizes and widths, shouldn't you make the difference visible?

Other photos were taken at SEMA of the prototype 5 bolt wheel, which never went into production.
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire
Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Rim Automotive tire
Rim Wheel Spoke Alloy wheel Auto part
Wheel Rim Alloy wheel Automotive wheel system Glass
Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire
Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Rim Automotive tire
Rim Wheel Spoke Alloy wheel Auto part
Wheel Rim Alloy wheel Automotive wheel system Glass

Reactions: TJ moneybags

·
Trygodfirst
2006 FPR ROTM WINNER SSR PAC BLUE AUTOMATIC -aka- Ole Blue
1,824 Posts
I have 5 lug. However, this was done before my purchase but it was definitely hubs up front and axle stubs in the rear. No spacers here. I will be in Branson and anyone is welcome to inspect my set up.
Fire truck I love your Crager SS look. Could you take a few side views of your truck and post on this link
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
:rolleyes:

I'm thinkin' we have covered this ground before in a similar post some time back. Just a few thoughts from a (non) educated engineer. Have you ever noticed while in traffic at a stop light and there is a big truck in the lane next to you...........Gee, if you start counting the number of lugs in his wheels, it may be 6 or 8 or even more. Not only that, the diameter of those lugs is likely bigger than what you have.

Gee..............WHY WOULD THAT BE..............:oops:

Just maybe, the knowledgeable engineers that worked thru the weight and size of the truck, determined that bigger and more lugs were absolutely needed.

Now..........we're dealing with a seriously (overweight) small truck and somehow the engineers determined a need for a six lug wheel setup.

Fast forward now...............We have some (want to look extra "cool") types that really are not concerned with 5 versus 6 cause (on the cheap), it just may be they can mount the wheel of their choice. Damn the potential that it just might be sufficient to hold up to the stresses that called for a (six lug) wheel setup in the first place..........................IMO.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
:rolleyes:

I'm thinkin' we have covered this ground before in a similar post some time back. Just a few thoughts from a (non) educated engineer. Have you ever noticed while in traffic at a stop light and there is a big truck in the lane next to you...........Gee, if you start counting the number of lugs in his wheels, it may be 6 or 8 or even more. Not only that, the diameter of those lugs is likely bigger than what you have.

Gee..............WHY WOULD THAT BE..............:oops:

Just maybe, the knowledgeable engineers that worked thru the weight and size of the truck, determined that bigger and more lugs were absolutely needed.

Now..........we're dealing with a seriously (overweight) small truck and somehow the engineers determined a need for a six lug wheel setup.

Fast forward now...............We have some (want to look extra "cool") types that really are not concerned with 5 versus 6 cause (on the cheap), it just may be they can mount the wheel of their choice. Damn the potential that it just might be sufficient to hold up to the stresses that called for a (six lug) wheel setup in the first place..........................IMO.
Yeah... what he said. And BTW, I like the look of the stock wheels. ;)

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
3,574 Posts
Fire truck I love your Crager SS look. Could you take a few side views of your truck and post on this link
Thanks in advance
Here ya go!.... And I think we got six lug due to the trailblazer platform they decided to use, not necessarily a weight issue. I have no concern with my lugnuts breaking off because I have 5 and not 6.

Attachments

·
Ex SoCal Nut
10,056 Posts
I recall hearing that the engineers had made the wheels 6 lug due to the weight of the truck and the side load incurred during spirited driving around corners and curves and the 5 lug was not up to the job

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
907 Posts
I recall hearing that the engineers had made the wheels 6 lug due to the weight of the truck and the side load incurred during spirited driving around corners and curves and the 5 lug was not up to the job
I'm with the group that holds that Chevy was using the Trailblazer platform which had a 4WD variant & just used what was there. Remember there was talk of a 4WD SSR but it didn't happen. I think on most years 4WD trucks used 6 lug. On two wheel drive pickups(C10) & GMC variant 5 lug wheels(5X5.0) were used for years. Of course we all know no one ever overloads a half ton truck which empty is probably close to the weight of our trucks. I have never heard of an issue with wheel retention on these vehicles even sideloads off road with an overloaded bed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.