Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just completed reading the SSR hardcover book. Had some interesting facts on why and what "They" had to do to get the SSR into production.

Some interesting snips:

At the beginning of the book, when the concept car was seen, someone said "great car but you will never build it". Through the book, they point to this as to why we have to show the public we can build it.

The original concept car had a 6L V8 motor. After building around the 5.3L in 03, they suggested that an engine upgrade was in the future to keep the car "fresh".

The towing capacity limit was based on the engine radiator.

Estimated sales per year was based on 15,000 units.

The target buyer was 35 to 60, $140,000/year, likes to be seen, wants style more than speed (ala vet).

Target price was $41,000 but stated that the target buyer would not care if it was 38 or 45.

Its interesting to read about the logic that went into the pre and post production of the SSR.

Anyway, the book is on sale at www.amazon.com for about $27 with free shipping.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Oh this is going to kill you, but all of us that made it to the Homecoming in August were given this very book. Well worth the time to read and have on your coffee table.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
SSR Book

You have to remember that Hawaii is along way out WEST :seeya

·
Banned
183 Posts
I purchased this book at Amazon for $26 its well worth it indeed. When you look at the S-10 based show car the real SSR looks monstrous in dimension. Its funny how you "think" they look the same but really they are not. I think if Chevrolet would have made the SSR a bit smaller and sleeker like the show car it might have done better. The show car reminds me of a Corvette ElCamino in a way. I truly love my SSR the way it is but I can only imagine what it would be like if it were 800 to 1000lbs lighter and a little more Corvette and a little less Trailblazer.
:ssr

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
I am glad to hear about this book. I will surf the web and try to get my hands on one. :thumbs

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The actual overall vehicle dimensions are very similar between the Concept and Production. They had the same tires and these define the overall size. The S10 chassis would not have been capable of handling the loads from these tires. The Concept was just that and was barely driveable. The 5.3 was used because a Corvette engine was only EPA certified for use in a car and we did not have time to change that. The new 6.0 was specifically certified for cars and trucks.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
There is no way I would want it smaller. I love it just the way she is. What a beaut and I can haul stuff too!

·
Banned
183 Posts
The one main comment when people look over my SSR however is WoW I didnt think this thing was this big. Then they are even more blown away when you tell them its almost 4800 lbs

·
Registered
349 Posts
freezer said:
The actual overall vehicle dimensions are very similar between the Concept and Production. They had the same tires and these define the overall size. The S10 chassis would not have been capable of handling the loads from these tires. The Concept was just that and was barely driveable. The 5.3 was used because a Corvette engine was only EPA certified for use in a car and we did not have time to change that. The new 6.0 was specifically certified for cars and trucks.
Thank you again for accurate and educational information. That sure explains why the 5.3! :yesnod

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"SSR experience" is more impressive

After reading the American Original, I got a better idea on what the "Corp heads" goal was for this truck. I liked the books and enjoyed the read.

But after reading a few chapters from Jame's "SSR experience", I'd say this is a much better read (just got it downloaded today). Way more info that I wanted about "how to" instead of "why did".

Thanks James for doing a great job.

Get both if you can, but get SSR experience if you can only get one. With over 300 pages, "experience" will take me awhile to get through.

Just my 2c

·
Banned
183 Posts
The fact that shocked me the most was that ASC and NOT GM did most of the engineering on this truck. It was more or less farmed out to ASC to develop.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
shintajay: You have a good understanding of the basic difference bewteen Gary's book and mine!

His book was intended to be a history of how the SSR came into being. Mine is intended to guide a potential owner or current owner in how to choose, live with, and potentially modify an SSR. Gary had no way of knowing when he wrote his book about the key things that would occur or be realized after the SSR had been on the market a couple of years:

- The trade press's misunderstanding of its purpose, and their futile attempts to "classify" and "road test" it like a regular production vehicle

- The marketing decisions that would so greatly impact the resale value in the short term

- The reasons it could ONLY weigh at least 4700 lb.

- The ongoing saga about the engine power (the Gen III story has only just begun, regardless of whether the SSR stays in production or not - trust me on this! The engine, whether the 03/04 or 05/06, for reasons explained in the book, is "going places"!)

- The "quirks" that any owner needs to know about to ensure that the ownership experience is a great one rather than an exercise in frustration

- The menu of mods that can transform the SSR

All these are covered in quite a bit of detail within my book.

But Gary had great access to GM and ASC. He got great information on the development program, and wonderful photos of both the concept vehicle and the "rush to production". It's a really neat book that is also in my personal collection (I bought mine long before GM decided to hand them out at The Homecoming!). And by the way, Gary was there at The Homecoming too!

Jim G

1 - 15 of 15 Posts