Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,786 Posts
Awww, the next weakest link. Rebuilt cylinder, back to OEM pressure, next weakest link, in this case reservoir.

Hot/Cold, Hot/Cold and OLD! Boom! Not a surprise to me.

I have reservoirs that are to OEM specification except length. More oil, cooler and easier to fill.

Made of same OEM material.

Dicktator
1. OEM reservoir full of sludge, should clean, change oil like you do in your R.
2. OEM on left, NEW OEM reservoir on right.
3. New reservoir installed on Dicktator's R for the last year.
4. New reservoir comes with OEM clamp and OEM "O" ring.
5. Recommended Oil for our Roof System. Advance, AutoZone, etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
This is the first I've seen. Just changed lift hydraulics. Everthing worked fine after bleed and tests. Two hours later.. Lowered top and Boom. View attachment 587449 View attachment 587450
This is the first I've seen. Just changed lift hydraulics. Everthing worked fine after bleed and tests. Two hours later.. Lowered top and Boom. View attachment 587449 View attachment 587450
ouch! I best that made s mess!
Never heard of that. The reservoir should not be under that much pressure unless a solenoid valve is leaking. Are there no check valves in the system?

·
BLU SSR
3,530 Posts
I'm not surprised that the reservoir failed after 15 years of service, but how it failed sure looks like a liquid lock may have occurred.:eek: Be very careful to fill the new one to the proper level, not beyond.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,115 Posts
I'm not surprised that the reservoir failed after 15 years of service, but how it failed sure looks like a liquid lock may have occurred.:eek: Be very careful to fill the new one to the proper level, not beyond.
I know, for a fact, that Frank had an appropriate air gap at the top of the reservoir. I have helped do failure analysis on some things like this in the aviation industry and it looks suspiciously like a super-high pressurization burst. Frank and I speculated that this may be the result of an extremely rare hydraulic system failure that would have pressurized the tank to full pump pressure (2000+ psi). He has sent all of the hydraulic actuators to Cabriolet Hydraulics for testing. If that comes back negative, there is gonna be more parts tested .......... This should never happen.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
I know, for a fact, that Frank had an appropriate air gap at the top of the reservoir. I have helped do failure analysis on some things like this in the aviation industry and it looks suspiciously like a super-high pressurization burst. Frank and I speculated that this may be the result of an extremely rare hydraulic system failure that would have pressurized the tank to full pump pressure (2000+ psi). He has sent all of the hydraulic actuators to Cabriolet Hydraulics for testing. If that comes back negative, there is gonna be more parts tested .......... This should never happen.

Mike
Never does not include 2020.

Dave

·
BLU SSR
3,530 Posts

Mike
I have no doubt that Frank is aware of the proper fill level, but since I wasn't there I can't be sure that he wasn't given some well intended help that he was not aware of, thus my warning.
The damage looks like a sudden increase in pressure as opposed to the crack/split or seal failure I would expect normally. Curious, since @Dicktator has spent a lot of time developing a replacement - Dick what is the burst pressure rating for the reservoir?
Sounds like you guys are looking into this and don't need more cooks spoiling the broth so just remember to report what you find.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,497 Posts
Seems to me it would blow off the pump before it would burst. Does the clamp hold it that secure?!? Could it have been cleaned with a combustable solvent, and if so, is there someway for it to ignite in the pump??

Nick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Awww, the next weakest link. Rebuilt cylinder, back to OEM pressure, next weakest link, in this case reservoir.

Hot/Cold, Hot/Cold and OLD! Boom! Not a surprise to me.

I have reservoirs that are to OEM specification except length. More oil, cooler and easier to fill.

Made of same OEM material.

Dicktator
1. OEM reservoir full of sludge, should clean, change oil like you do in your R.
2. OEM on left, NEW OEM reservoir on right.
3. New reservoir installed on Dicktator's R for the last year.
4. New reservoir comes with OEM clamp and OEM "O" ring.
5. Recommended Oil for our Roof System. Advance, AutoZone, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replaced mine just about a month ago with help from Dictators friend Barry up here in Ontario. much improvement. would recommend it ( Thumbs Up )

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
On the humorous side🤪🤪🤪🤪. Was the oil you put in from Texas🤔🤔🤔🤔. If so maybe the oil from Texas doesn't play well with oil from somewhere else🤪🤪🤪🤪.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,786 Posts
Seems to me it would blow off the pump before it would burst. Does the clamp hold it that secure?!? Could it have been cleaned with a combustable solvent, and if so, is there someway for it to ignite in the pump??

Nick
It is more secure than it appears, ears have "snap clips" on reservoir.

Once clamp is tightened, hand tight is usually adequate, reservoir is very difficult to remove.

Dicktator

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts