Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05, 65,000 miles. I replaced the brake lines, blead the lines. Engine off, petal firm, start engine petal would work to the floor. I replaced the brake booster with a A/C Delco rebuilt booster. Now petal can be worked all the way to the floor with engine off or on. I ordered a new OEM A/C Delco master cylinder # 174-775.

The brake fluid was replaced about 2 years ago.

I suspect that after this many years and miles the booster and the master cylinder had worn or corroded and did not like having the cylinder moving to the floor during the bleeding this time. I encountered the same thing on an '04 I am working on for a friend.

I installed the new OEM master cylinder, good firm petal with engine off. Engine on, petal goes half way down then slowly goes to the floor. I do not hear any vacuum leaks. I am sending the remanufactured A/C Delco back.

I am trying to decide weather to replace with an OEM #15247618 for $276 or go with a Cordone 54-74821 for $75 after core return. Cordone re-manufacturing is in Mexico and they say that they supply most OEMs. The tags on the A/C Delco look like the one in the picture of Cordone and Delco says they mfg. in Mexico. Maybe Cordone manufactures better for themselves than the OEMs.

Any thoughts or experience with faulty re-manufactured boosters?

Jack

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Boy Jackatg450 that is some problem. Interesting. It almost seems like as if there was a one way valve in the vacuum line to the booster and the valve is installed the wrong way. Wish I had something more helpful to offer. I'll definitely be watching to see what solution works. WSK

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi Jackatg450, Last year I was going to flush my brake fluid, thought I could just let it gravity drain and keep new fluid entering the master at the same time to prevent air in the system. When I asked the Chevy dealership if that would work, they said because of the ABS that was probably not a good idea, better to use a vacuum pump starting at the furthest away caliper, and moving forward. Ended up getting involved with an other more pressing issue and haven't gone back to that yet. Maybe someone who has successfully completed a complete bleed down can chime in....Clivey.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I have an '05, 65,000 miles. I replaced the brake lines, blead the lines. Engine off, petal firm, start engine petal would work to the floor. I replaced the brake booster with a A/C Delco rebuilt booster. Now petal can be worked all the way to the floor with engine off or on. I ordered a new OEM A/C Delco master cylinder # 174-775.

The brake fluid was replaced about 2 years ago.

I suspect that after this many years and miles the booster and the master cylinder had worn or corroded and did not like having the cylinder moving to the floor during the bleeding this time. I encountered the same thing on an '04 I am working on for a friend.

I installed the new OEM master cylinder, good firm petal with engine off. Engine on, petal goes half way down then slowly goes to the floor. I do not hear any vacuum leaks. I am sending the remanufactured A/C Delco back.

I am trying to decide weather to replace with an OEM #15247618 for $276 or go with a Cordone 54-74821 for $75 after core return. Cordone re-manufacturing is in Mexico and they say that they supply most OEMs. The tags on the A/C Delco look like the one in the picture of Cordone and Delco says they mfg. in Mexico. Maybe Cordone manufactures better for themselves than the OEMs.

Any thoughts or experience with faulty re-manufactured boosters?

Jack
Did you bleed the air out of the master cylinder? You need one of these..
https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-69328.html

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next up..........

Truck is 14 years old so I decided to go ahead and install the Cardone booster. If that doesn't fix it I have the vac bleeder that will be here tomorrow from Amazon. If that doesn't fix it my local repair shop said they would hook it up to the scanner, bleed the ABS and the system for $40-$80. Think $80. No brainer, not worth buying a scanner that I won't have use for hopefully for another 5 years.

For those of you that are interested, you do not have to pay $2000 for a scanner that will activate and bleed the ABS. The Autel Maxicheck will do it for $228 from Amazon.

Taking the truck in Friday to have the ABS bled.

I will let you know what happens.

Jack

Jack

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
bleed

I thought I had the same fading brake pedal without engine running when we did brakes and calipers. Turns out this is normal. In fact, I can partially put the pedal further down with engine running, in gear, and pushing hard on the pedal. It has not affected normal driving.
I checked it out on other GM vehicles, and guess what, the same thing. Has not failed or acted up in over a year.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Poor man's ABS Bleeder.

I installed the Cardone booster this afternoon. It works, firm petal, but it was low, so I improvised. I have woods across the street from my house, I cut the grass about 15 feet in to the tree line. I ran the truck down the street to about 30 mph, pulled the right wheels on the grass, hit the brakes hard to a stop. ABS pumped like mad. Made a run in the other direction, put the left wheels in the grass, hit the brakes hard, ABS pumped like mad. I made three runs and then had to stop. The grass area is just past a sharp curve in the road and the neighbors started coming home. I don't need to scare one of them as they come around the curve and have them call the police although they all drive 35 to 40 around the curve in a 20 mph residential area. I will wait until tomorrow morning.

The vacuum bleeder will be here tomorrow and I will replace the fluid in the system.

A/C Delco vs Cardone, same box, same warning on booster, identical printed instruction, conclusion = Cardone remanufactures for A/C Delco, puts it an identical box and puts an A/C Delco label on the box, the only difference, except the Cordone worked.

Jack

Reactions: RedlineRyder

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ABS Bleed.

Turns out that what was needed was the Cardone Booster and I then took the truck to a local shop and had the ABS bleed and a complete system bleed. $90 with tax

I am thinking about new slotted rotors and ceramic pads from Rotopro. I thought the "upgraded" rotors improved stopping and heat dissipation. But I am finding on the internet that in one "test" the slotted and drilled rotor got hotter than the OEM in aggressive use. I also understand that the drilled are "no no" because of possible increase in cracking. I asked one very knowledgeable person what his opinion was of them. He said they were very pretty. That if I wanted to add bling to the truck I could save my old ones as a replacement.

One thing that got my attention was a statement by RotoPro that they Warranted their slotted rotors for cracking for 2 years. Cracking? 2 years?

Any good/bad stories about slotted rotors?

Jack

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
I put slotted and drilled rotors on my R two years ago, no improvement at all but they look cool!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts