Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I changed the oil in my 05 today for the first time and noticed by the drain plug a message stamped into the pan that I should be referring to the service manual to find the proper oil changing procedure?? I quickly looked in the owners manual and it actually doesn't even talk about changing the oil, just adding additional oil.

I went ahead and drained it, swapped the filter, filled it with Mobil 1 till it was at the top of the hashmark on the dipstick and was good to go, at least so I think. Is there some sort of magical oil change procedure with the LS2 motor?

Also, I noticed that the ash tray door on my R doesn't go down all the way because it hits the auxiliary gauges. I read in another thread that these gauges were always installed by the dealer so there is variation on who did it right and wrong. Here is a picture of my mounting bracket.

As you can see, it was mounted right on top of the carpet. I saw mention that the correct way for these to be done was to cut out a section of carpet? Does anyone have details on how much should be trimmed? Just the under the bracket or does it need to be extended so the ashtray door has full clearance?

·
it's 5 o'clock somewhere!
16,290 Posts
I can't comment on the LS2 oil changes but the 5.3 litre is a normal procedure. As for the carpet, it's just the underlay that is removed. The carpet is merely sliced to access the underlay.

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
No difference in the model years - all use the same oil pan and filter. 6 quart total fill capacity, with a new filter. Concerning the filter, always fill the new filter until it won't take any additional oil, before installing it. My feeling is that if you're going to run your oil for an extended period ( 6-8k miles ), you should change the filter at the midpoint ( 3-4k miles ) for best engine life.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,189 Posts
Duf, I just took the bracket OUT and let the gages set on the carpet. Don't need the bracket.

I know quite a few who do not use the bracket.

I did install a larger, more sq in, oil filter on my 04. Plus I run Amsoil, very pleased.

Dicktator

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Duf, I just took the bracket OUT and let the gages set on the carpet. Don't need the bracket.

I know quite a few who do not use the bracket.

I did install a larger, more sq in, oil filter on my 04. Plus I run Amsoil, very pleased.

Dicktator
Hmm I don't know how you got a bigger filter in there. Not ever doing this before, when I was given a choice at Autozone of two filters, one being longer than the other, I chose the longer one. However when I went to install it I could not get it around the cross brace so I went back and got the smaller filter.

Maybe I will try putting the gauges just on the carpet.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,189 Posts
Duf, This is the one I use.

I have removed my crossmember and replaced with LC32, dropped 32lbs. Gives a little more room also.

Larger oil filter for 03/04 SSR

K&N Performance Gold
Part# HP-2006

Dicktator

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duf, This is the one I use.

I have removed my crossmember and replaced with LC32, dropped 32lbs. Gives a little more room also.

Larger oil filter for 03/04 SSR

K&N Performance Gold
Part# HP-2006

Dicktator
Hmm not sure what LC32 is but I will check it out. Yea even with the smaller filter it was a tight squeeze.

Removed the bracket for my auxillary gauges but still find the ash tray door rests on top of them regardless of where I position them. Oh well.. not like I smoke anyway.

·
Slingshot Rules!
67,549 Posts
Curiosity got the best of me . . .

Just checked the Doophus, Duf . . . when fully opened, the Ash Tray Door does come very close (probably less than 1/4 inch) to the "factory installed" Gauge Pod.

Possibly there's a way to adjust the opening of the ash tray?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just checked the Doophus, Duf . . . when fully opened, the Ash Tray Door does come very close (probably less than 1/4 inch) to the "factory installed" Gauge Pod.

Possibly there's a way to adjust the opening of the ash tray?
I'll take a pic of my clearance or lack there of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts