Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:surprise:

Not sure if any other of you got this kind of email this morning. But both in my spam mail and also my regular email was some kind of abbreviated "text" type message from an SSR person.

I say (abbreviated) cause it looked like part or parts of the overall message may have been lost.

The only real "clue" was a picture of a silver SSR..............I have no idea who sent it nor what they wanted to really say.............never have recieved a message any at all like it.?????????????

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,268 Posts
I think I know what you are trying to say, sounds like your email program found one and thought it was SPAM, then the other one it let through. This normally happens when someone you know opened an email and clicked on something. A program in the background then snags the saved email addresses the person has and sends emails to those people with gibberish and usually another link. If you click the link then you could be opening up your computer to a site that trys to hack into your system........ Could be a ransomeware site, virus, or a number of other bad things.

So whomever sent it probably does not know. They clicked something in an email, they program took over, sent a few emails to people in their saved contact list hoping to attract them to another link to do something. What is odd is that you do not know who it is from. You should be able to view the header to see the email address it came from, maybe the address does not ring a bell but most likely is someone you conversed with some time ago and has your email address saved.

I get these now and then from people I know that have my email address. I just delete them. I have my email program set to refuse all images in emails when I first get them so I can verify who they are from first and to insure they are legitimate before I allow the images to load. If it is SPAM then I delete it, that way the people that sent the spam do not get notification of a verified email address to send more junk to.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I know what you are trying to say, sounds like your email program found one and thought it was SPAM, then the other one it let through. This normally happens when someone you know opened an email and clicked on something. A program in the background then snags the saved email addresses the person has and sends emails to those people with gibberish and usually another link. If you click the link then you could be opening up your computer to a site that trys to hack into your system........ Could be a ransomeware site, virus, or a number of other bad things.

So whomever sent it probably does not know. They clicked something in an email, they program took over, sent a few emails to people in their saved contact list hoping to attract them to another link to do something. What is odd is that you do not know who it is from. You should be able to view the header to see the email address it came from, maybe the address does not ring a bell but most likely is someone you conversed with some time ago and has your email address saved.

I get these now and then from people I know that have my email address. I just delete them. I have my email program set to refuse all images in emails when I first get them so I can verify who they are from first and to insure they are legitimate before I allow the images to load. If it is SPAM then I delete it, that way the people that sent the spam do not get notification of a verified email address to send more junk to.
:frown2:

You're very likely correct on what happened. Now maybe I have exposed my system to another malware scenario........Here is one of the email titles. "6038339043 ([email protected])"

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,048 Posts
If you have something like WEBROOT and run a malware scan that should clean it up. Have mine set up to scan every morning at start up and seems cleaner that way.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,392 Posts
:frown2:

You're very likely correct on what happened. Now maybe I have exposed my system to another malware scenario........Here is one of the email titles. "6038339043 ([email protected])"
That is a picture from a Verizon phone with that number. Or at least that is where a response would go (for what that is worth)

·
Spirited driver!
1,533 Posts
That phone number is associated with this address: 1772 Duquette St, Rochester, NH

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
As a very wise (in my opinion) IT person told me one time about spam. “The only thing we know for sure about spam is that it never comes from where it says it’s from.”

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,392 Posts
As a very wise (in my opinion) IT person told me one time about spam. “The only thing we know for sure about spam is that it never comes from where it says it’s from.”
I am certainly not one to argue with that logic.

Reactions: TXNSSR

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Mo, I got something exactly like that yesterday also, however, it was from a girl/lady I went to school with planning our class reunion in July. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mo, I got something exactly like that yesterday also, however, it was from a girl/lady I went to school with planning our class reunion in July. tennesseecozydog :ssr
:smile2:

Lucky you.......I hope u responded and plan to go. Having graduated in 1960 from High School, I have attended many reunions back in Omaha. It was a big class, but not too many of us left now. Go while u can.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts

Lucky you.......I hope u responded and plan to go. Having graduated in 1960 from High School, I have attended many reunions back in Omaha. It was a big class, but not too many of us left now. Go while u can.:wink2:
YES, I'm planning on going !!! Been out 60 years !!! I just "audited" our class list and we had 35 at Graduation but 36 graduates as 1 Korean War Veteran got his Diploma evidently in the mail and he was credited to the Pawnee High School (Central Illinois) Class of '58. Out of the 35, 12 have passed away and 12 rarely show up and 2 or 3 have never attended any reunions in 60 years. I sure would like to see everybody. One classmate (John Tomazic) has not missed Opening Day in St. Louis (Cardinals) in 62 years or any reunions. Pawnee is just 88 miles from St. Louis and John had enough St. Louis Cardinal memorabelia (well over 6 figures) that he sold at age 70 and bought a retirement condo in Texas. He kept his Stan Musial "stuff" which which is well up there money wise too. I think he has one of Musial's uniforms(#6). Didn't mean to get carried away with details but, "History" is interesting. "Mo" we certainly lived through the best years of this country ... the late 40's, 50's and 60's. It's still a great place but not like it was in the 40's, 50's & 60's. Bob Alexander - tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YES, I'm planning on going !!! Been out 60 years !!! I just "audited" our class list and we had 35 at Graduation but 36 graduates as 1 Korean War Veteran got his Diploma evidently in the mail and he was credited to the Pawnee High School (Central Illinois) Class of '58. Out of the 35, 12 have passed away and 12 rarely show up and 2 or 3 have never attended any reunions in 60 years. I sure would like to see everybody. One classmate (John Tomazic) has not missed Opening Day in St. Louis (Cardinals) in 62 years or any reunions. Pawnee is just 88 miles from St. Louis and John had enough St. Louis Cardinal memorabelia (well over 6 figures) that he sold at age 70 and bought a retirement condo in Texas. He kept his Stan Musial "stuff" which which is well up there money wise too. I think he has one of Musial's uniforms(#6). Didn't mean to get carried away with details but, "History" is interesting. "Mo" we certainly lived through the best years of this country ... the late 40's, 50's and 60's. It's still a great place but not like it was in the 40's, 50's & 60's. Bob Alexander - tennesseecozydog :ssr

Yup, you got it right as to having lived through the best years......things have sure changed.

As to this comment..."Out of the 35, 12 have passed away and 12 rarely show up and 2 or 3 have never attended any reunions in 60 years."

Can't remember our entire class size, but think it was over 400. Anyway, I have traveled back to Omaha for many reunions over the years. Many other classmates from all over the country and some from living in other countries have shown up. While (as you experienced), some just never attend and I know some that have never left Omaha and they don't show up.

Hard to figure, but I guess to some, the memories of life in high school were not good ones.:|

1 - 12 of 12 Posts